Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Dash cam ???

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dash cam ???

One of my family members recently purchased a cheap dashcam device (like a GoPro, but dirt-cheap and built to be mounted behind a car's windshield to capture the action while driving). The device looks suspicious to me, as it does not have a brand-name on the package or on the unit itself. The fold-out flyer "Instruction Manual" English diction is also worth a chuckle in places. The dashcam offers a USB port, an SD/MMC card slot, a ciggie-lighter power cord, and a round "AV out" port looks like an earphone jack but larger. The unit has a flip-down LCD display and a few buttons. The unit seems to record up to 1280 x 960 in AVI format. Now, I'm on a late-model iMac running MacOS 10.10. Here are my immediate questions: 1: if I need to download video from this thing, how do I access the AVI files, and how do I transcode them to something more useful than AVI? 2: What do I need to play back video on a modern TV? 3: What kind of an SD card do I use for this device? All the flyer says is "Supports SD/MMC card (from 1 GB to 32 GB). It looks like a full-size SD card slot, but I'm wondering about the different flavors of SD. Thanks in advance.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    1: if I need to download video from this thing, how do I access the AVI files,
    I'm not completely sure without more information. But, it seems like the dashcam will record to the SD card. Then you should be able to plug the device via the USB port into a computer. I'm guessing it will emulate a SD card reader when you do this. So you should be able to view the SD card and transfer the files to your computer normally.

But, as you're running MacOS, there might be a problem. A lot of these devices are only designed for a Windows computer. I would try to see if it works anyway. If not, you can buy a USB Card Reader and plug the SD card into it. That should work without any problems.

and how do I transcode them to something more useful than AVI?
    Converting the files will take quite some time. You can always just play the .AVI on a Mac using VLC Media Player. But, if you need to convert them, I would use Handbrake. It's open source and I haven't found anything that beats it so far. It's also got a huge number of presets that simplify the process.

2: What do I need to play back video on a modern TV?
    Difficult question. It completely depends on your TV. Most nowadays are smart and won't have any trouble playing a .AVI file. For example, I've often transferred .AVI files to a USB, plugged it into my TV and played it without any problems. I would check your TV manual to see if it supports .AVI files. Otherwise, you can use something like Chromecast.

3: What kind of an SD card do I use for this device? All the flyer says is "Supports SD/MMC card (from 1 GB to 32 GB). It looks like a full-size SD card slot, but I'm wondering about the different flavors of SD. Thanks in advance.
    Based on the flyer, you need a full-sized SD card not a microSD card. The difference between the SD cards (e.g. SDHC, SDXC, etc.) are just to do with the maximum storage capacity. It won't affect anything else. For a dashcam, you need to max out the storage since you don't want to worry about space. So, definitely go with a 32GB SD card (the maximum supported by your model).

In terms of recommendations, I would go with the 32GB Samsung Pro Plus SDHC card. I use the 64GB model and it's more than fast enough for continual footage. Also, it's reasonably priced and comes with a 10 year warranty. But, if that's out of your budget, I would go with the SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB SDHC. But, sometimes, the Samsung is cheaper than the SanDisk. For a camera, you need a fast SD card. Both of these are more than capable. Plus, you can always use the SD card for something else down the line. So, it's definitely worth getting a good card rather than the cheapest.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple of images. These are scans of a flyer that passes for an "Instruction Manual". Note that the "company" that thanks you for your business does not divulge its identity or location.

Dash cam ???-dashcam_001-jpg

Dash cam ???-dashcam_002-jpg

My main concern: what kind of SD card is this thing calling for? Would a full-size SDHC card work?

NOTE: this "Instruction Manual" isn't an accurate representation of the device in the box. The device does not have an HDMI port.
    Last edited by MtnMan; 06-27-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope the DVR will not "Hang Itself"!?

I don't imagine that it matters too much what type of SD card you use?
    Don't you have any laying around that you can just try and see how it goes?
    I thought your Rebel also used SD cards.

This thing is 1.3 mp according to the manual and 1280 max resolution at that ,it should just not matter a whole lot how nice the card is.

Also Quicktime Player might play back the AVIs but you may need to search for a different Codec for it too.
    There are plenty of free players and converters too for Mac that will have no issues at all doing this.
    I like Handbrake too and VLC will also do the job for you,your Mac should have both of these on it anyway really.

As for TV playback as long as you can output to the TV it should playback just fine,it is just a video stream going into the TV after the Mac has processed it for playback.
    If you are wanting to just stick the SD Card into the TV instead? Just try it you should not let the Smoke out by experimenting with this!

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family ordered a dirt-cheap Wintec 32 GB SDHC card thru the local Wal Mart ("site-to-store", meaning I go to the nearest store for pick-up) for $8 and change. So that should be good.

I have a question about these cards generally.

Let's say this cheap contraption captures some really interesting video that they want to keep and play back on the TV at a later date. Let's say instead of transferring the footage to a hard drive, they just take the card out of the device, replace the card with another one, and set the card containing the footage aside. Whenever they want to see the special footage, they simply pop the "old" card back into the device and connect the device to a TV for playback. In essence, the cards are being used like tiny VHS cassettes. Assuming the cards aren't being banged around alot, and assuming the device and the cards are typically stored in a cool, dry, dirt-free place, how long can the video footage survive on those cards? Do the cards have a measurable lifespan?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My family ordered a dirt-cheap Wintec 32 GB SDHC card thru the local Wal Mart ("site-to-store", meaning I go to the nearest store for pick-up) for $8 and change. So that should be good.

I have a question about these cards generally.

Let's say this cheap contraption captures some really interesting video that they want to keep and play back on the TV at a later date. Let's say instead of transferring the footage to a hard drive, they just take the card out of the device, replace the card with another one, and set the card containing the footage aside. Whenever they want to see the special footage, they simply pop the "old" card back into the device and connect the device to a TV for playback. In essence, the cards are being used like tiny VHS cassettes. Assuming the cards aren't being banged around alot, and assuming the device and the cards are typically stored in a cool, dry, dirt-free place, how long can the video footage survive on those cards? Do the cards have a measurable lifespan?
    I have some that are more than 10 years old and are just fine and others that die when brand new?
    I have had ZERO failures though of the pricier name brand models and all failures have been the cheapies and free ones offered to get you in the door at Micro Center and the like so there must be a difference in there somewhere?

Same with SSD hard drives and stick memory too.
    The real downside to this Solid State Storage is that once fried there is no chance of recovery that I have tried that works unlike with spinners,the old school hard drive that you could revive pretty often at least long enough to retrieve the data.

It is amusing but in a sad way that everything these days pushes our data to "The Cloud" and they do not want us to have a backup copy locally anymore,none of which I trust as much as I used to.

BACKUP to a spinning drive or two and you WILL have the data when you need it!

I got in a pretty heated argument recently with a client who sees no need to do this and I am baffled at that attitude,Murphy is a lot older than these new computer things and still alive and going strong,you know?
    His Law is THE Law!

Why would you rather not have redundant backup?

Also Mtn. the TV might have an SD card slot right on it or if it has a USB slot you might plug a SD card reader in it and playback the video directly too.
    There seems to be no real rhyme or reason to this though and you just have to try it and see.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly wish their TV had both USB slot and SD card slot, but theirs does not.

I'm exploring the possibilities with them. Work in progress...