Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Good point. I'd totally rename it if I could but it won't let me...maybe an admin can do it?
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you!
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag are you carrying? I've been trying to one-bag travel with my SA.

2. What are you reading? I just finished Crazy Love by Leslie Morgan Steiner, which is her memoir detailing her life as a domestic abuse victim. If you've seen her TED Talk, you know that she started talking about her personal story to help defray the stereotype that abuse victims are poor, uneducated, etc. Morgan Steiner is the antithesis of that stereotype. Really powerful read.

3. What are you listening to? Tegan and Sara - 100x

4. What are you watching? Rizzoli and Isles

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Thai shrimp curry - so light and delicious for summer. An easy weeknight dish as well.

6. Besides bags, are there things you like to collect? Vinyl

7. What are your summer travel plans? -or- What travel is on the horizon for you? My partner is exiting the military so our travel plans include doing a cross-country move. We won't have much room in the car thus my experiments one-bag traveling with the SA.

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag are you carrying?
    Currently using my Original Halcyon Daylight Backpack as my everyday carry to work, but will likely start using a new Smart Alec within the next couple weeks. I have an A30 coming my way that I'm eager to test out for travel (not for EDC). On weekends I'm all about my Parental Unit as diaper/kid bag with plenty of room for my stuff too.

2. What are you reading?
    Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher (for work), Academic Motherhood: How Faculty Manage Work and Family (for work and personal interest), This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression (personal interest), My Beloved World (Sonia Sotomayor's memoir) (personal interest), Vogue magazine, Lucky Peach magazine, New Yorker magazine

3. What are you listening to?
    Texas Public Radio (The Texas Standard is a great show!), The Longest Shortest Time podcast (Hillary Frank), Steve Jobs audio book on Audible, my three year old singing/whining/asking me to do something

4. What are you watching?
    My baby asleep in my arms.... PLUS The Americans (on Amazon) which is AMAZING, Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime (I'm a major late comer), Orphan Black on Amazon Prime, will shortly be starting this season's Orange Is the New Black on Netflix, sometimes bits of The Bachelorette on Hulu SO JUDGE ME HARSHLY BECAUSE I DESERVE IT

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    I don't cook or bake besides oatmeal every morning. I do our oatmeal with oats, peanut butter, fruit (frozen blueberries and/or raisins and/or strawberries and/or apples), ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper.
    My husband cooks and bakes a lot. Lately cornbread from scratch using the recipe from the Deep Springs College Commonsense Cookbook.
    I can't get enough of sparkling water. Gotta love me some fizz.

6. Besides bags, are there things you like to collect?
    Fiesta San Antonio medals/pins, succulent plants, watches, prescription eyeglasses (way too expensive but I would LOVE to have different glasses to wear every day of the week. Not gonna happen on my salary, but a girl can dream), compliments

7. What are your summer travel plans? -or- What travel is on the horizon for you?
    My sister lives in SITKA, Alaska, and she and her husband are having a wedding party in July. Most of my seven brothers and sisters and my 13 nieces and nephews and my parents are all trying to fly up there from all our various homes (NYC, Texas, Michigan, DC, Barcelona, Oslo....). So that's the big trip this summer. Over the next year, I hope to get back to NYC, my hometown and where my parents still live. And my in-laws want us to come up to Minnesota sometime soon. We'll see.

Looking forward to hearing more responses! Thanks for starting us off, @jess!
    Last edited by doesntmakememadonna; 06-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Synapse 25

2. What are you reading?
    All The Light We Cannot See

The new Red Hot Chili Peppers album The Getaway and a lot of Podcasts.

Orange is the New Black and Mr. Robot.

Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee. Not much of a cook/baker.

Not really a collector. More of a minimalist.

7. What are your summer travel plans? -or- What travel is on the horizon for you?
    Maybe a trip to Chicago or Baltimore at the end of the summer.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you carrying? The June/July/August 2016 Edition

1. What bag are you carrying? Tons. Because I have been going to academic libraries so much of late after office hours, it's been a SB or MF plus either my Nordic/Steel or Cardinal SA. Although the MF is an arm tote and heavier than the SB, it's my book tote of choice because I read for work on public transport and having a bag that stands up is just so much better for that purpose

2. What are you reading? Besides a lot of emails and cases, I've read chapters from something like 20 monographs on investor-state arbitration. It's "leisure" reading because it's 1) interesting 2) different from what I normally read for work.

3. What are you listening to? The local indie and electronic music radio station.

4. What are you watching? N/A

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Nubbad coffee from the office coffee machine. Ever since I started training at my firm, I have only drank office coffee because a cuppa around here costs upwards of $7, and coffee is just not one of those things I like enough to spend on.

6. Besides bags, are there things you like to collect? Just bags and not-working vintage fountain pens. I hope my incoming leather notebook cover doesn't spark off another craze.

7. What are your summer travel plans? -or- What travel is on the horizon for you? I'll be moving out of my current house soon-- does that count? No, really, going to live in a different neighbourhood even in a place as small as Singapore can still feel like you're moving to different country, if you have lived in the same place since '97.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 06-24-2016 at 10:34 PM.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seem to have moved into my old-model Ristretto for iPad (Aubergine/Steel) as an EDC. It's a perfect fit for my 12" retina Macbook, with enough room to tote essentials alongside. A couple of weeks ago I did a one-day there-and-back-again to the office in London (depart home 0735; arrive home 2210 the same day...) with just the Ristretto along for the ride, which was quite sufficient.

When an overnight stay or two is required, it's the A30 (Aubergine/Wasabi) which gets used most often, although a month or so back I did spend a whole 5-day week in London and the A45 came out of storage to take up the load of 4 overnights. Macbook lives in a Cache on those occasions. Various packing cubes come into play, including my Solar A45 Packing Cube Backpack which is great for extracurricular activities while staying away from home; the Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag also packs down nice and small to go in the A30 or A45 to carry the laptop etc from hotel to office. Other stuff lives in a Clear Quarter Cube (wash gear), two 3D Clear Organiser Cubes (asthma inhalers and aerochamber in one, cables and such in the other). A large Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack serves for my minimal dirty washing - and a Zest Travel Tray rises to the challenge of corralling bits and bobs. I also tend to use a Wasabi Side Effect as a kind of organiser to hold glasses, reading glasses, sunglasses and contact lenses in one end pocket of the appropriate Aeronaut.

My Night Flight Travel Duffel (Aubergine/Wasabi) continues its sterling service as my yoga bag.

2. What are you reading?

Just finished the new Charles Stross novel, The Nightmare Stacks, which was published on Thursday this week. Before that I tore through Genevieve Cogman's The Invisible Library and I've got the sequel - The Masked City queued up on my Kindle.

Mostly my 'drive time 4' playlist, which has a selection of electronica in a pleasing and (to me) quite meditative order. I most often listen to it in the car, while making the ~40 minute journey from home to my nearest yoga class of an evening.

Generally ploughing through the backlog on our DVR, which contains lots of episodes of The 100, NCIS and its related series, Supernatural and the like. Just the other day we watched the last ever episode of The Good Wife, which we've followed since about season 2; when we get round to it there's about half a season of Suits queued up as well.

Not doing a huge amount of cooking at the moment - I'm on holiday this week, but the preceding couple of weeks involved a major project going live into production and immediate post-live support; I would like to organise myself to cook more, but I tend to find there aren't enough hours in the day if I do all the other things I need to do. Not a baker (that's what the bakery a few streets over is for!). Drinking: decaffeinated tea (was advised to lay off caffeine to help with a persistent cough); Crabbie's alcoholic ginger beer; various super-premium Gins (Number 3, Monkey 47, Star of Bombay and the like) with suitable admixture of an appropriate Fever Tree tonic water as needed. Next one to try is Sacred gin, produced in a micro-distillery in Highgate...

The collection of Oakley sunglasses is slowly sneaking up on 50 pairs (I think it's currently running at 47...) but the accession rate has slowed considerably as I now have examples of most of the models I tend to concentrate on - I like X-Metals, early generation Wire models (A, C, E), the WHY8 series and early Crosshair types, with unusual lenses (Amber Black Iridium Polarised and VR50 Emerald Iridium, I'm looking at you here!). The fountain pen collection is on hiatus at the moment - I think it's sulking until and unless Stipula eventually see fit to return my repaired Suprema Nuda after it snapped in half in percussive contact with a hard wooden floor over a year ago!

Not planning to go 'away' as such, but I will be spending regular short periods in London visiting the office for work - the hotels are booked every couple of weeks right through to the end of the year. The next trip is 3 days in London next week, then another 2 days the week after that...
    Last edited by PaulT00; 06-25-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same old, same old: Burnt Orange/Steel Synapse 25 as work EDC.

2. What are you reading?
    Book 3 of The Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin, The City of Mirrors.

Local sports talk radio.

Just finished ESPN's 30x30 documentary series OJ Simpson: Made in America and watching Copa America and UEFA Euro Cup.

Eating out more that it's summer, but I always have a cup or two of my dairy free hot chocolate mix every day.

Elephants. I'm saving up to buy an Eames Elephant chair/stool though I don't know where I'd put it.

None, but I got approval for Labor Day weekend off and I think I want to take a road trip ... somewhere. Smilie

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love to try different gins when in the uk but have limited access here. Luckily I have a friend who is perfecting her own gin, which is steadily improving to become quite nice. My friend, Virginia, is appropriately called Gin so therefore keep an eye out for NSW Gin's Gin one day...

Colorado Springs
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. CArrying: S19 to mountain cabin for overnight. NEw Nordic S25 for longer stays.
    2. REading: Claudia Rakine's Citizen, CD Wright's Deepstep, and 6 nonfiction MFA thesis submissions.
    3. LIstening to a breeze in the aspen grove.
    4. Watching some BBC murder mysteries. But mostly, watching aspen leaves.
    5. Cooking/baking/drinking: avoiding all 3? :-)
    6. Collecting: a few accessories for a new Hobonichi Planner. (You got me in big trouble, Badger.)
    7. TRavelling to Tacoma in August to graduate from my MFA program. (And special thanks to BIhn Crew for the awesome "Congrats" box art and small graduation gift when I ordered my S25!)

around 53
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I was more active on this board... Young kids keep me busy

MB in steel. Carries everything I need and leaves room for things I might need.

2. What are you reading?
    Tapatalk forums Smilie

Some Apple Music playlist

Euro. Haven't missed a game yet!

Turkish coffee

Socks. Love socks. The flashier, the better

Europe

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as soon as the Brown Truck arrives, a Synapse 19! (lookoutwindowlookoutwindowlookoutwindow...)

2. What are you reading?

Mistborn series (book 2 currently), recommended by my son.

Outlander audiobooks--Davina Porter's narration is fabulous. I've read the books and listened once, but I'm still transported when I listen.

Outlander, GOT, Orphan Black, and House Hunters International.

I'm a baker--cinnamon rolls, Dutch Baby pancakes, cookies... you name it! Drink? Maybe a wee nip of Maple Whiskey every so often,and good quantities of good coffee.

Bags for sure, but I've begun winnowing the herd (selling less-used ones on ebay to finance my TB habit.)

We're going to Quebec City this summer! My goal is to travel with one backpack. I've been testing myself to see how I'll do. I pack what I think I need in a backpack, then live out of that for the week here at home. It's been an eye opener, but I think I can do it!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all the Euro watchers:

I just came in at the tail end of the England v Iceland game, and while my spouse was bemoaning the result, I suddenly noticed Iceland are playing in new Nordic. With voilet (more aether than UV as no white grid) jumpers!!

Of course, had to jump on here as my spouse and son didn't appreciate the appropriateness of it all. For some reason they care more about the football then the TB colours.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Founder's Briefcase for work, Large Shop Bag (in Black Halcyon!) or Moveable Feast in Navy for groceries, Daylight Backpack (Black Halcyon again) or Guide's Pack in Navy or a Synapse 19 for hikes.

2. What are you reading?

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli
    Light on Yoga: Yoga Dipika by B. K. S. Iyengar

I'm in a no-music phase right now (every so often I tire of all of the music I usually listen to and take a break before finding new stuff to mix with the old standbys), so it's just an audiobook right now for me: Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson.

About to try Foyle's War based on several recommendations.

Tacos! Fresh tortillas using this masa with roasted vegetables, radish or cabbage or lettuce slaws, and always lots of avocado. Salads. Pizzas (using gluten-free crust from the store). Mostly just easy-to-prepare stuff.

Haven't been baking much, but when I do, it's always these cookies.

Cold brew coffee, rooibos/rose/cardamom tea (brewed as sun tea), turmeric tea, douglas fir tea. White wine or dry cider.

Pacific Northwest native plants. Vintage wool blankets. Crafts or art by local artists of whatever city or town I'm in.

Various hikes and scenic areas around Washington State with some camping and overnights here and there.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I'm late to the game.

Carrying a Synapse 25 (as seen here) for most daily activities; Shop Bags and/or Moveable Feast for shopping; OG Citizen Canine for corgi constitutionals.

Reading Eclipse by John Banville. I will use my e-book credit on Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli.

Listening at this very moment to 4Minute on my exceedingly well-curated Brown Eyed Girls Pandora station; I'm setting aside some time this weekend for the NPR podcasts Embedded and Hidden Brain.

(Binge) Watching every single episode of CSI: Miami.
    YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Drinking: right now, lemon sparkling water. In an hour, a healthy beverage with hops and one or more grains.

Collecting dust.

Travel on the horizon: Wisconsin this autumn and LA this winter.

Confidential to @TavaPeak: congratulations on your graduation! Be sure to let us know when your book comes out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast