Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me three, I think translating and linguistics are so fascinating. For instance - I seem to only have two channels - Mother-Tongue and Other Language - so, if I'm in a situation where there are conversations going on in more than two languages (that I understand), it slows me down because I have to toggle between, say, Language2 and Language3 on the Other channel. That is to say, they don't each have their own highway, but must all share the same access road. Traffic jam!

And do tell, how is translation like photography for you?!

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    the relationship between translation and writing/photography; French; the way the brain works while translating; constellations... Generally speaking, I walk around in a state of wonder and curiosity...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. What bag(s) are you carrying?

I switched back from my Little Swift, which I carried most of the summer, to the Co-Pilot. Something about the colder weather makes me want to carry a bag that zips up, even though I loved the ease of having everything in one big pocket.

2. What are you reading?

The Lions of Al-Rassan, on the recommendation of a friend.

3. What are you listening to?

Discovering all the radio stations that come with my Amazon Echo. Mostly classical. I find it relaxing.

4. What are you watching?

I started re-watching the Firefly series. Loved that show! The most recent new show I watched was Stranger Things, which was terrific.

5. What are you cooking/baking/drinking?

Eating pesto spaghetti lately because someone gifted me with some homemade, frozen "cubes" of pesto. Delicious!

6. What travel is on the horizon for you?

Nowhere. I'm kind of sad about that, particularly given that airline tickets to Europe and Brazil seem to be a good deal now. A lot of my discretionary income has gone into fixing up my new apartment. The only trips I have on the horizon are for family weddings, starting in late fall/winter.

7. And, since it's the back to school edition, what is something you would like to learn more about?

Have been reviewing my Portuguese again. I'm determined to finally finish the Duolingo course. This is what keeps me busy on my morning train commute.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haraya...

Actually... the back and forth between photography and writing is the translation piece... For me, translation is like seeing/reading/hearing a work of art, or an idea with "beingness" and working so that someone else has a chance to see/hear/understand/behold this "beingness" that has been introduced. I make choices, I look for nuance, listen for tone, pitch, the meaning and the music beneath....

Photography and writing each do that to, for me... they help me to communicate something that has Beingness that I might not otherwise be able to express. They allow me to translate this beingness, feeling, idea, insight, aha...and share it with others. They are mediums and they are languages. And I choose the language depending on what I want to communicate...each one can say things the other can not... much like spoken languages. There are things that can be said in Spanish that I simply can't say in English and vice versa and I find that fascinating... I can come up with a close approximation, but something is missing.

And it is notnotnot an issue of a picture being worth a thousand words... A picture is worth what it speaks on its own and evokes in the person looking at/interacting with it. And words are worth the idea/image communicated and what comes of that for the person speaking/listening/reading/interacting with...

Some first thoughts on it, anyway... Smilie
    Last edited by KmK; 09-08-2016 at 07:38 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just today went from my trusty navy solar ballistic pilot to my grey UV S25 for my work bag. Fancied a change. Love both these bags.

2. What are you reading?
    The girl in the spiders web (millennium trilogy book 4) - not a bad addition to the series. Great characters.

The new Divine Comedy album - Foreverland

Watching 'The Newsroom' again. Aaron Sorkin is a genius.

G&T as always.

Off to Bethesda, Washington DC next Monday and then Oslo the following week. A busy time for travel.

7. And, since it's the back to school edition, what is something you would like to learn more about?
    And old friend from 20 years ago who I lost touch with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternating between little and big swifts, and have realised that I really want a medium swift :-)

2. What are you reading?
    Had a flu that sapped the energy for weeks so have been comfort re-reading Agatha Christies. Now I'm feeling better, I'm reading Geraldine Brooks 'Nine Parts of Desire' and looking forward to upcoming holiday for getting stuck into some good books.

My daughters singing as they practise for their Eisteddfod competitions. Or (my preferred) silence.

Dr Who series 9 and Great British bake off (not the current series) and the remake of 'Then there were none' which is fantastic and tied in well with comfort reading. I usually only watch tv (unless it is game of thrones for obvious reasons) as a family activity so a little limited in selection but that is ok as I don't like to watch much.

Some pretty average meals as the two older kids (12 and 14) are now each responsible for dinner one night of the week. But it is definitely worth it!! And as always lots of pots of tea.

Two weeks camping at the beach at end of September, one week camping at Stradbroke Island near Brisbane in November, attending the Woodford Folk Festival in December. And thinking about all of us going to India mid-2017, which is very exciting to contemplate (and of course already considering which TB bags we would take!!) but its not definite yet. My son (age 10) would rather go to South America as that is where his favourite football (soccer) players come from!

I suppose 'myself' which is a bit self-helpy ego-centric sounding, but I'm trying to become more self-aware in order to be a better parent, partner and person... and how to crochet. Which was meant to happen this winter and didn't and, for those who know, the deadline on ravelry is fast approaching Yikes!

around 53°
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these threads and everyone's responses.

For work I'm carrying the MB and on the weekends it's the LCB - awesome bags which have the perfect amount of room!

2. What are you reading?

BBC, CBC, CNN to find similar stories to teach my students about bias as well as underlying worldview. I know, thrilling stuff, right? :P

Apple Music playlists. I love discovering new music and adding them to my playlists.

NHL preseason reports. Narcos on Netflix. Suits - I'm not enjoying the current season but I've invested so much time that I need ride out the series.

Coffee. Espresso, stovetop, Turkish. Can't get enough of the different styles.

Got back from Europe not too long ago and a trip to Victoria. Travel is always on the horizon... east coast in a few months maybe.

Photography. Love it. Been doing it for years but there is always so much to learn and enjoy.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is my first time joining. Here's go.

For Work depends on load: Less Load, I would brought DLBC. Otherwise, I used Tenba Messenger - big opening like The Maker's Bag. While on leisure side, I switch interchangeably between my three SCB.

2. What are you reading?
    The last book I read was The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups by Sax, Leonard. Sadly, I have yet to finish it. Probably, because the Internet Feed is more interesting to read Stick Out Tongue

I'd been listening to all songs of Gnash for the past months. Over and Over. While also, listening to Podcasts like BBC World Service Documentary and Windows Weekly.

I'd been sucked into Gordon Ramsay's controversy and currently following Masterchef Junior. Wow. It is so fun and positively emotional to watch and enjoy. My wife and I also following Criminal Minds. Currently only at Season 04.

I admire great food but I do not cook. I will be happy to do dish-washing and kitchen cleaning, as long as I will be serve with great food.

Going Taiwan very soon. Unlike other trip to Taiwan, this will be indeed special. After that, a mandatory air-travel-free break until Second Half 2016. Would like to visit Sapporo on Autumn and/or even much later in time - Pacific Northwest.

I work in Sales field so if there is any 100% Formula/Guide in follow-up with my Customers' Account in terms of Payment, I will be the few lining up to sign up and learn. Sadly, it is an art and quite political like any human could be.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 09-08-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Island PCSB has been toting around my day-to-day essentials lately. Still thinking about a daylight backpack, but I've got everything I need in the little bag, so why tempt myself to carry more?

2. What are you reading?
    Just started Skyfaring, by Mark Vanhoenacker - I love flying and aviation, so it's right up my alley.

Coloring Book, 25, 99.9%, E•MO•TION, and Nothing's Real are all getting a lot of play around here.

Just finished Stranger Things. Other than Last Week Tonight, not watching much other TV lately.

Lots of La Croix around here, and the tomatoes from the farmer's market are still amazing, so plenty of tomato sandwiches.

Several trips to visit family coming up - Bay Area in October, Atlanta for Thanksgiving, Albuquerque for Christmas. Eying a new Western Flyer, because I think I can start packing even less than I've been bringing for these 3-4 day trips.

I've been talking seriously about trying to start a K-8th school, so I've been learning more about that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to post this yesterday but tech issues. Anyway! Smilie

Fascinating, and not at all where I thought you were going with the simile!! Smilie Have to rush off to class right now but wanted to say that I love the idea of beingness and being able to transmit that directly-differently depending on the medium. Also resonant: the idea of languages having personalities, as it were. I find my mother tongue is very precise, but the language of my parents' birth is very useful for expressing strong emotions. Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    Haraya...

Actually... the back and forth between photography and writing is the translation piece... For me, translation is like seeing/reading/hearing a work of art, or an idea with "beingness" and working so that someone else has a chance to see/hear/understand/behold this "beingness" that has been introduced. I make choices, I look for nuance, listen for tone, pitch, the meaning and the music beneath....

Photography and writing each do that to, for me... they help me to communicate something that has Beingness that I might not otherwise be able to express. They allow me to translate this beingness, feeling, idea, insight, aha...and share it with others. They are mediums and they are languages. And I choose the language depending on what I want to communicate...each one can say things the other can not... much like spoken languages. There are things that can be said in Spanish that I simply can't say in English and vice versa and I find that fascinating... I can come up with a close approximation, but something is missing.

And it is notnotnot an issue of a picture being worth a thousand words... A picture is worth what it speaks on its own and evokes in the person looking at/interacting with it. And words are worth the idea/image communicated and what comes of that for the person speaking/listening/reading/interacting with...

Some first thoughts on it, anyway... Smilie

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using my black halcyon/NWS Maker's Bag. I have a Daylight Backpack on order (same colors). As a student, this semester is a bit lighter, but a bit too much for the Maker's not quite enough for my Brain Bag.

2. What are you reading?

I'm a student, so I'm reading for classes. Right now it's Utopia, a biography on William Marshall, Germany in the High Middle Ages, and a text on critical thinking.

My son is into Scandinavian symphonic goth metal music right now, so that's what we listen to in the car on the way to school. Sirenia is the current band.

I just finished watching Longmire and now am finishing season 3 of Blacklist.

Not much. It's only the second week and I realize I'm going to be at school a lot. I am drinking more water and trying to limit how often I take a soda to school.

Possibly an academic conference in November. Plans are still up in the air.

All of my classes are interesting this semester, so they are things I'm interested in learning more about. I'm studying ancient and medieval English history, French and Latin languages, a literature course on dystopian and Utopian societies, and a reasoning and argumentation course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TavaPeak,

Ooooooo when you get to it, the latest Louise Penny is a good one!! Was number 58 on the library hold list and then found it in 7 Day check-out Rapid Reads. I inhaled it in two days over Labour Day!

KmK

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The Empire Builder
    2. Song of Ice and Fire
    3. MISIA and Jay Cho
    4. 49ers v Rams
    5. Snapple Peach Tea
    6. Currently in Baltimore for business
    7. SQL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you know I'm busy when I haven't had a chance to add to one of my favorite thread types, so here goes!

Right now it's my Burnt Orange/NW Sky Synapse 25. I've been hauling so much paperwork back and forth to work each day (on various modes of transport), along with lunch, electronics, etc, that I need to carry something that swallows it all up. On weekends it's my Burnt Orange/Olive Parapack Small Cafe Bag.

2. What are you reading?

"Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, "Bletchley Park's Secret Room" by Joss Pearson, "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, and re-reading "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Yeah, I'm a big time geek/nerd/dork.

A lot of NPR on the morning commute, or Sirius/XM Jam On. At home it's a lot of classical music, usually streaming WQXR, WWFM, or Minnesota Public Radio.

Still watching tons of baseball, or reruns of Law & Order: SVU.

Not cooking, but have started to think about fall baking (I love all things pumpkin!). Continuing to drink too much good beer, mostly Western style IPAs.

Not an awful lot; I was supposed to go to Florida at the end of October, but that's been preempted by a mandatory work class. I'll head to Nashville to visit my cousin the first week in December. Nothing else planned for now, which makes me sad.

Well, I'm not sure *like* is the right word, but there is an awful lot going on with work right now, so I'll be brushing up on such exciting topics as radiological accident assessment, dose modeling, and overall radiological emergency preparedness. Lots of online course work through FEMA, culminating in a 5-day on-site class at the end of October. Did I mention I'm a big nerd?
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post

2. What are you reading?

"Dead Wake" by Erik Larson, "Bletchley Park's Secret Room" by Joss Pearson, "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, and re-reading "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Yeah, I'm a big time geek/nerd/dork.
    my grandmother was a morse operator at bletchley park. no one in the family knew until after she had died and one of my aunts read through her war time journals. she was a very modest woman

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    my grandmother was a morse operator at bletchley park. no one in the family knew until after she had died and one of my aunts read through her war time journals. she was a very modest woman
    That's very cool! I've been reading/watching all things Bletchley and it's quite amazing what they accomplished there.
    Eat well, travel often.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast