Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    How long are you going, what sorts of things are you doing, what airline(s) are you flying, and how much access to laundry will you have? Also, how used to the cold are you?

I was in Iceland in early April this past spring and used an A45 to one bag on Icelandair. I could have definitely packed smaller and lighter had I chosen to buy new gear and especially lighter-weight midlayers, but I didn't. I will point out that I wasn't exactly kayaking any fjords, though.

One point to argue with the Mr.: hotel rooms and wardrobes may be smaller and so the less luggage you have, the better. If I had had a large suitcase I have no idea where I would have put it.

We will be in Norway for 3-4 weeks. I think I will avoid sleeping in the ice hotel but we will definitely be outside a fair bit. The only flights currently planned (other than the longhaul to Europe) are within Norway - so smaller is going to be better.

We have bought some new base layers and down jackets - winter sales! and of course we can buy appropriate gear on arrival if necessary. I do dress in a layered way even at home and especially when travelling so am comfortable with that. My heavy winter coat didn't even get out of the wardrobe this year - layers rule (and of course Sydney doesn't get very cold very often).

My last trip I had a 25in roller plus my Ego bag and a SCB! (in my defence I had formal wear for an 8 day Cunard cruise as well as the rest of a 7 week trip)

Did you love Iceland? - everyone one I know seems to be heading there atm.
    List under construction ....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,

It came as quite a surprise when on a bicycle trip, where luggage space is severely limited, I discovered how warm a waterproof jacket can be. Just add a light fleece or packable down jacket and the chill is gone. Add a warm hat, gloves or mittens, and a scarf and it is nice and toasty.

A silk or merino wool base layer worn under your daily clothes, plus the fleece or down jacket, with a rain jacket on top and voila! Bulky winter clothing is obsolete. elisa
    I was amazed at how small the down jacket packs! Or at least how small it promises to pack - I haven't yet squished it into the tiny sack that came with it. It's hanging in my wardrobe in all of its purpley loveliness and I give it a little pat now and then.

It's true that even with baselayer, mid layer, shell AND down jacket - I still don't actually look like the Michelin man.

Trying on cold weather clothes in an Australian spring is interesting though ...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings Daisy,
    To address the 25inch bag, perhaps reminding MrDaisy of the fees for checked bags. Does he remember that although you pay once for a round trip flight, the bag fees get paid in both directions.
    Luckily our long haul flights have decent checked bag allowances - but I think the big bag will be a problem on a dash8 or something in Norway (another challenge for me - not so fond of planes smaller than an A330).

I'm about to start wearing my Synapse19 when walking my dogs - to make sure I can actually wear a backpack. I may need to take the 22in roller.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIMT View Post
    Just curious if Mr. Daisy is on board with this yet? (:
    A work in progress ... as long as he has time to order a new TB bag before the trip :-)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    25 inch rollers are a pain on trains. My experience is limited, but I bought my A30 after such a trip. A smaller checked rolling suitcase is better, but one bag without wheels is best.

++ On layering. A lightweight down jacket with a shell or overcoat, and the necessary gloves, hat or scarf can handle very low temps. Even a bulky coat is ok if you can wear it while traveling, but I still prefer packable layers. I can't handle a heavy coat when traveling anymore.

A thin wool or synthetic baselayer is mandatory for outdoor adventures, but I also find them too hot most of the time when indoors. They do make warm sleepwear if you don't mind looking like a backpacker.
    I've done a couple of "urban" europe trips with the 25in rollers and you're right they can be a pain - but we managed.. I think this trip they would be more than annoying. Sadly I think I will need a wheeled bag as my main bag but am trying to keep it to around the 45l mark.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post

YMMV, of course, but my typical winter packing list (for travel to someplace with similar weather) fits easily into an Aeronaut 45. It would include (all women's L or XL size) three long-sleeve wool shirts, one thin wool hoodie (Icebreaker Quantum, I think), one pair of pants (jeans or similar), a pair of long underwear, three sets of underwear/wool socks/bra, one hat, one pair heavy mitts, one neck warmer, and maybe one pair of shoes (running shoes or smaller), and toiletries in a 3D clear org cube. Then while traveling I wear a long sleeve wool shirt, one warm mid layer (a fleece jacket or a wool sweater, and long underwear), another pair of pants, boots and my winter jacket (usually a heavyweight down jacket), though I can cram my jacket into the A45 at the airport. With a couple of layers (including the sweater/fleece) I could also use a shell instead of the bulkier down jacket. Basically, I wear the bulky stuff and pack the thinner stuff.

This comfortably covers general activities including spending some time outdoors in the cold (waiting for public transportation or walking around town), though if I was, say, skiing or hiking I would want some additional activity-specific clothing (snow pants, for example). It also requires doing some laundry on day 3 or 4, if the trip is longer than that.

Your trip sounds really interesting - I'd love to see pictures when you get back!
    Thanks for the packing list - that's really useful.

I have been “to the snow” once in my life! and it was horrible. Mainly because I had the wrong gear. Luckily it was a weekend and only a drive home to my temperate climate home.

TBH I would rather be a little over provisioned than be cold ... I do hate to be cold.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Washu View Post
    As for shoes, I had a pair of fleece-lined Dr. Martens with a zipper - they were easy on-off at the airport and rugged enough for the country but stylish enough for the city - very comfortable and the only shoes I took.

I washed items in the sink at night as necessary.

I was plenty warm, and no, I am not used to cold weather - I am from Houston and get cold if it dips below 72F.

I have found it is better to underpack - I almost always get home and discover there was something I didn't use. Unless you are going somewhere truly remote, you can get what you need where you are going if you must.
    Those Docs sound great - really stuck for buying warm shoes in Aus from here on in - although one of the snow gear shops told me they have winter gear all year round ... most are selling out or have sold out their winter stocks.

Thanks for your list too.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    I've been to Iceland in March, arriving in a snowstorm. Technically, we one-bagged it, but we used every extra packing option we had, from heavily layering what we wore on the plain, to wearing laden Scott-e-vests, to packing our coat pockets with our snow gloves/hats/chutes/etc. It worked, and I'd probably do it again -- we arrived in what seemed to me to be a blizzard, with stinging powder snow, and we were equipped to go out in it and search for dinner -- but it wasn't perfect.
    My aim is to be able to at least arrive in Berlin to foul weather and not waste a minute .. other than perhaps shopping for more clothes!

Realistically I think we'll be two bagging it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    According to my World Weather Guide, you can expect average max/min daily temperatures for March in Narvik, inside the Arctic Circle but where the Atlantic coast has the advantage of the Gulf Stream, of 1 to -5 Celsius. And there will be some variation on either side of the averages. There are several aspects to choosing clothes for such a climate: the most important is protection from wind and the wind-chill factor; then there is protection from the cold itself; but you also have to cope with warm temperatures indoors; and finally there is how much use you will get out of the clothes, especially if you're not going to be there regularly. Eighteen months ago I travelled overland to China starting at the beginning of April and going via Siberia, where I walked on Lake Baikal because the ice was so thick, and then Mongolia, where there was a constant wind from the steppes and two snow blizzards. The temperatures were similar to what you can expect in Norway. But then, after a month in China with a couple of dust storms there, I came back along the Silk Route through the deserts of Central Asia. My one bag, an Aeronaut 30, weighed 6Kg (13 1/4lb) at the start.

My most useful article of clothing was a lightweight breathable windjacket with a hood that packed away into the collar. I wore it most days throughout the journey. In the cold it kept the wind-chill factor at bay, and the snow slid off the shower-proof surface. Underneath it I wore a pretty thick fleece jacket (TOG approx. 1.2), a woollen bob-hat that fitted inside the hood, and thick gloves. My everyday trousers were also windproof and breathable. I took a pair of leggings to wear underneath, but in fact never needed them -- when walking, my legs seemed to generate enough heat. I wore normal wool-blend socks inside walking shoes with Vibram rubber soles, thick enough to protect my feet from ice and cobbles, but still presentable enough for hotels and restaurants. On one day I wore a second pair of thin socks inside the normal ones, but my feet overheated indoors. Inside a restaurant, I could unzip my fleece or even take it off (beware pullovers -- they don't come off easily). I find baselayers under my shirt too hot when I'm indoors, and you can't take them off in public! But as a reserve for really cold weather, I also had a lightweight fleece (TOG 0.6) to wear under the thick one, and thin gloves to wear as liners, both of which I carried for more temperate climes as well.

That sounds like an amazing trip - did you blog about it anywhere?

6kg is pretty impressive!

Can I ask what the lightweight jacket was? Was it waterproof too?

The overheating thing is a consideration - I am forever taking layers off and putting them back on in normal circumstances.

I may have to reconsider a couple of my items due to lack of full length zips ... hmmm...
    Last edited by daisy; 09-29-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    A work in progress ... as long as he has time to order a new TB bag before the trip :-)
    great tactic!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Did you love Iceland? - everyone one I know seems to be heading there atm.
    I loved it so much I'm going again next year. (And I think again the year after that...) I feel like the Icelandic tourism board has coped very well with the huge influx of visitors over the past 4-5 years, and the country itself is stunning. It's a long, long way from Australia, but if you have an occasion to go in the future, it would very much worth your while, especially if you like Scandinavian-esque climate, aesthetics, and so forth.

I hope you find the cold bearable—really, in addition to wearing warm layers, having a way to block the wind will do the most for keeping you from freezing. I'd definitely recommend some sort of windproof/laminated jacket and maybe pants too, if you'll be out and about in the snow. FWIW, I used a rain jacket over a fleece a few times and it worked very well.

Please post pictures. I will be very sad if there are no pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2