Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendation for Travel CPAP?

I'm contemplating taking the plunge and buying a travel-sized CPAP machine, and would very much appreciate learning the thoughts or experiences of any of you who have used one.

I've been looking at the Z1 by HDM and the Transcend by Somnetics. At 659 grams and 551 grams, respectively, for the device and its power supply, either one would be a dream to carry after my 1.8 kilo regular machine!

A couple of my particulars that could be relevant:

• I use a fixed pressure machine, & have no need or desire to move to an auto one.
    • I plan (er, hope) to use whatever machine I get without a humidifier, and instead use one of the in-line moisture-exchange gizmos made by HDM (which they say can be used with any machine).
    • I don't absolutely need the data to be transferrable to an Apple platform.
    • My initial need is for one to work on mains power, although a battery pack could be useful in the future.

Many thanks!

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kaz, what did you end up choosing? I use a DeVilbiss IntelliPap APAP as my travel CPAP. However, it doesn't sound like it would be right for you--it is APAP (not CPAP) and weighs 1.25kg without the optional humidifier. For me it's great, though! Even with the humidifier (which I do use) it's lighter and packs better than my regular machine.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel CPAPs came up again recently on another thread, so I thought I'd revive this thread for a discussion of travel CPAPs now that there have been some new entrants to that market.

I'm still using my DeVilbiss IntelliPap for now, but I'm very tempted by the new Dreamstation Go. I'm just waiting for them to come out with the add-on humidifier they promised would be out sometime early this year. I usually travel without the Intellipap's humidifier, but when I visit my mom I really need a humidifier--she lives in Denver and the air is very dry there.

@jessmakes mentioned liking the ResMed Air Mini. jessmakes (or anyone else who uses one), have you used it in very dry conditions like Denver? I'm curious whether the condenser is enough in those conditions.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    @jessmakes mentioned liking the ResMed Air Mini. jessmakes (or anyone else who uses one), have you used it in very dry conditions like Denver? I'm curious whether the condenser is enough in those conditions.
    I don't know that it would be enough in super dry conditions, but as it just recaptures the moisture from your breath and the air and uses that to add moisture to what you're breathing. It doesn't work as well as my standard humidifying CPAP, but it works well enough, especially since it's so tiny! Along those lines, I just took it to San Diego last week and it was a sure sign of how humid the air was that I was flooding in my mask with that particular machine... Anyway, flying home and seeing other people schlep their giant machine bags around makes me that much more grateful to have sprung for the Air Mini a couple of years ago. Now if Resmed would just make some more masks that are compatible with it...
    A30 - Original Halcyon/UV MB - Aubergine/NWS LCB - Original Halcyon/Wasabi! MCB - Steel dyneema/Wasabi! STT - Wasabi! SE - NORDIC/Solar TC - Viridian/Dawn TT - UV/Sitka/Monarch

TB Newbie First factory visit - 9/21/2018

Heartís desire: a S19 or S25 in original NORDIC.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @jessmakes! That's useful to know about the condenser. The AirMini mask compatibility issue is the main thing that decided me against the AirMini--I object to the requirement for proprietary masks (plus my wonderful mask isn't compatible with it).

Philips Respironics finally did come out with the promised humidifier for the Dreamstation Go about a week ago, but I've already spent my tax refund--partly on TB stuff. :-) I have shop bags coming my way when the pre-orders ship, and a PCSB arriving tomorrow...
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.