Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defecting from Apple?

In keeping with the technology advice subthreads we have going here:

Has anyone switched from iOS to Android recently? Or considered it?
    I've been carrying my big honking iPhone 6S+, running on Verizon, on a daily basis; and when I travel: my tiny Nexus 5X, running on Google Fi. This month I'll be switching over to Google Fi completely for service, which makes the Nexus my main phone. (Though I'm pretty sure I'll be able to receive calls on both.)

I won't go too much into my personal experience, because it would take a year, but suffice to say that most of my info is stored in apps that are cross-platform, making any move less traumatic. I already use Google for a lot, and Evernote and Dropbox for the rest. Only my mobile photos are 100% Apple-based.

With some of the directions Apple is taking I'm considering leaping the fence to the other side. There are features I like about both operating systems. But I'm not sure how happy I'd be giving up my iPhone completely.

Has anyone had that experience?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, don't say that. I've just made the move the other way and am loving the ease being all iOS I. Our family. Except now I keep hearing how bad apple quality is, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, having been an Apple customer for years, quality is not one of my concerns. Every Apple laptop or device I've given up has been sold at a great price, or passed down to family members, and they seem to last forever. I even had a white laptop which, amazingly, is still plugging away after well over a decade of use. It now belongs to my 4 year old niece. The issues I have are more related to the lack of ability to customize, the fact that Apple is doing away with the headphone jack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    No, don't say that. I've just made the move the other way and am loving the ease being all iOS I. Our family. Except now I keep hearing how bad apple quality is, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a long-time Apple user, of both laptops and phones.

I switched my iPhone for Android (the OnePlus One) at the very beginning of 2015. I really like it, and am still using it nearly 2 years later. For the price, I got a much, much better phone than I would have anywhere else. I kept my iPhone 5 and still use it when I travel abroad, so I don't have to worry about losing or breaking my "real" phone. Of course, that means that I get the experience of switching back and forth between them relatively often. There are advantages to both: the simplicity of iOS is balanced by the customization available with Android. For instance, my OnePlus One has a "Profiles" feature that knows when I am connected to my home wi-fi or car bluetooth and turns off the screen lock automatically. As soon as I disconnect from either, the screen lock turns back on. That's a huge convenience that doesn't compromise overall security (much--I guess burglars could still use my phone inside my apartment).

The transition was, as you mentioned, fairly painless, with music being the notable exception. Since I still have a MacBook and iTunes, I needed to set up a sync between iTunes and Play Music which is not seamless. It's functional, but a bit buggy, and I do miss the ease of a total Apple ecosystem.

...and having said all that, I am currently debating what new phone to get. The battery in my phone is coming to the end of its useful life, and there are some minor compatibility issues between the OnePlus One and T-mobile that seem to be getting worse as time goes on. Top on my list are the Samsung Galaxy 7, the OnePlus3, and an iPhone 6 (not the 7--I need my headphone jack!). It's a debate between cost, functionality, and compatibility; I keep going in circles. The release of the Google Pixel is not helping me narrow it down at all.

@bchaplin could you share your experience, especially internationally if applicable, with Google Fi? Since you're moving over entirely, I am guessing it's good.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to all Google, now including Fi, about 3 years ago and love it. I like Apple products but not iTunes, their cloud services, or really anything to do with media, movies, etc.

Previously I had everything media-related in apple but now it's completely moved out (movies, books, tv shows, photos, music, etc). As an amateur photographer I've also gotten rid of apple on everything except iMovie, although I use it much less now as I can do most basic stuff on youtube. Pictures I store on google and use lightroom on my MBP.

I've also got a nexus 5x, and a nexus 6 (not p), and a few nexus 7 tablets which are the best tablet form factor ever made, not to mention best tablet for $. I've also got a chromebook which really has me rethinking the whole laptop thing ... as soon as lightroom is 100% on the cloud I can see ditching my MBP. Basically I've moved everything 100% to the google cloud. The thing that really put it over the top is Project Fi - all my devices have data SIMs and of course I can call and sms from any device include my MBP and they each act like phone extensions. I also love the tap-to-sync with a new nexus device.

Not sure I'll get a Pixel just yet, but unless something changes I'm 100% google.

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The respect for my security is a reason that I'm sticking with Apple.

Also my safety, don't want a phone that might start fire because of quality issues.

Don't really have time to tinker with devices, I just want them to work.

I have been using bluetooth earphones for a while anyway.

My work uses iPhones & iPads and they perform great.

Just my 2 cents....

Last edited by rafoster; 10-21-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't let the headphone jack be a factor at all. I assume you know that it comes with an adapter (and additional are 9 bucks, worth getting a spare). I actually think my headphones sound better on the 7 than my 5, which I replaced.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the interesting responses!

@carl0, I do realize the iPhone 7 comes with an adapter, but that means that you can't charge the phone while headphones are attached. This is a problem for me because I have an older car that connects the phone to my car stereo via the headphone jack, and I need it to keep charging, particularly during long road trips. For people who have a modern bluetooth car stereo this probably isn't as much of an issue.

@kathryn, I DO like Project Fi so far. But unfortunately, in the year I trialed it, I only visited two countries: Germany and Belgium. It worked like a charm there, both in my Nexus 5X, and as @GrussGott mentioned, in other devices using a data SIM. In Google forums, users report variable results depending on where they go: Western Europe tends to be very good so my experience wasn't a surprise. I would have really liked to test it in Brazil where I travel sometimes, but haven't had the chance yet. And Google has expanded the countries they cover recently, including more of Africa, which is a huge bonus to me. I like their simple pricing structure and lack of "extra" fees. Their weak point is that their partner networks inside the United States are T-Mobile, Sprint and US Cellular, which may not have as strong coverage as Verizon or AT&T, but I figure that only by using it as my primary phone for a while can I figure out if it will be ok.

In my year of having two phones, the iPhone 6S+ on Verizon and the Nexus 5X on Google Fi, the iPhone seemed to have slightly better coverage, but to be honest I frequently did not take the 5X with me on a daily basis. And both phones experience dead spots on my commute. The one place I noticed the Nexus seemed inferior was while playing Pokemon Go, but both have been pretty adequate doing other tasks like web browsing, navigating via Google Maps, etc. And for some reason the calls on the Nexus/Google Fi seem clearer than on the iPhone/Verizon, where I've had some issues with my voice breaking up.

As for transferring music, I plan to try uploading everything to Google Music. We'll see how that goes...

@rafoster, I do agree that the Apple products just "work". For instance, my Nexus phone recently gave me a "low memory" error, something I've never seen in years of using iPhones, which silently manage the memory usage behind the scenes. However, only one particular model of the many Android phones currently on the market has a habit of going up in flames
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having many choices is a great thing.

What ever works best for you is the best phone to buy....

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @rafoster, I do agree that the Apple products just "work". For instance, my Nexus phone recently gave me a "low memory" error, something I've never seen in years of using iPhones, which silently manage the memory usage behind the scenes. However, only one particular model of the many Android phones currently on the market has a habit of going up in flames
    Ha, this is a great example of why I like devices that don't just-work, since when things just-work it means they've taken control away from me. Android let's me control how the apps work, what data they're using, what's being stored locally vs in the cloud, what protocols are being used, etc etc.

The low memory error is a great example of Android letting you push the boundaries and allowing you to decide what you want to do in that case rather than have some developer make a bulk choice for everyone.

I guess I'm a device libertarian.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kathryn, I should also say that you pretty much have to look at your average data usage and travel patterns and crunch the numbers to see if you would come out ahead with your carrier or Google Fi.

I made a spreadsheet last week to compare the two services based on what I actually paid with Verizon and what I would have paid with Fi. In the end they came out almost even, with Verizon being only slightly more expensive, but with four things to consider:

1) Major carriers like AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile may offer an employee discount. I receive 18% off part of my Verizon bill. Without that advantage, Verizon would have come out as more expensive. Fi does not offer employee-based discounts.

2) Google Fi lets you attach devices to the account for free using the data SIM. I never bothered to connect my iPad with Verizon because they would have charged a monthly fee just to be connected, even if I did not use any data that month on the iPad. But with Fi I keep the iPad connected, so that's a free value-added feature.

3) People with highly variable month-to-month data usage probably come out ahead with Google Fi, as they have no overage charges, just a metered system. I think I'll find it a relief to not stress at the end of each billing cycle that I am going over my data limit.

4) I didn't include international data use in my assessment.

I used anywhere from 2-4 GB/month in the past year.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 10-22-2016 at 02:25 PM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for transferring music, I plan to try uploading everything to Google Music. We'll see how that goes...
    I've used iTunes on a PC for years because it was the best mix of ripping/storing my CD collection and being able to buy other stuff I wanted piecemeal. When it came to listening to music on an Android phone I got last year I figured I'd just copy the files to the phone's external memory card and use Play Music. Problem was I did not like Play Music's interface or how it operated. So after just putting up with it for a while I found another audio player/library app (Poweramp) on the Play store that had good reviews and tried it out. I liked it enough to pay for a full version and have been happy with it ever since. Because I still use iTunes on my PC as the primary means to buy tracks I have to convert the AAC files to MP3 and then transfer them to my phone. It's an extra step, easily done in iTunes, but I don't mind since it lets me have the experience I want in both places, PC and phone.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have really liked to test it in Brazil where I travel sometimes, but haven't had the chance yet.
    I'll be in Sao Paulo at the end of November, with my Nexus 5X using Project Fi-- I'll report back. I've newly switched to Fi and haven't traveled internationally yet, but I'm very pleased with the service-- and above all, the price I'm paying-- in the U.S.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post

I did not like Play Music's interface or how it operated.
    I'm not a huge fan of Play either, although it's gotten a lot better in the last 6 months. Also, for me, I don't buy many tracks as I subscribe to Play which gets me YouTube Red as well ($7.99/mo) since I can stream at MP3 quality. When I do buy music, I rip it from CD high-definition and play it via VLC on my MBP. There's also a high-def FLAC24 service I have where I can download FLACs, but I only listen to them via my MBP.

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You raise an important distinction that I failed to consider in what I wrote above: is the music streamed or locally stored. I just don't do much streaming of music at all via my phone while I'm out and about. Play seemed okay for that from the few times I tried it but as far as accessing and playing my stored library it just didn't make the grade for me. Sometimes the way we access the music can make all the difference for one app vs. another.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast