Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Head Hat Help

I like to think I need the space for brains and creativity...but no matter how I look at it, I have a BIG head and rather a lot of hair to boot. A friend who measured me to knit a hat found that it was nearly 24 inches around at the widest.

I am looking for a toasty low profile wool cap for winter time and am looking at the Icebreaker pocket cap. It seems to be a one size fits all... Can anyone else with a big head tell me how far down it comes on them? Are your ears covered?

Other suggestions?

Thank you!

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't give you any advice regarding the Icebreaker caps -- haven't bought anything from them. As far as the knitted hat -- I just finished a beanie that says it will fit sizes 20-24 inches. I think what makes for the flexible sizing is the tubular cast-on, so your friend may want to try that. The Brooklyn Tweed web site has a number of hats that use that. There are also occasionally discussion threads that come up on Ravelry for people who have thick and/or curly hair and want hat designs that might work better for that.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Head Hat Help

Don't bother with icebreaker for the hat. The pocket hat squeezed my giant Asian head so much I thought I would black out. When I tried it on it covered the tops of my ears but that was it; my head was shaved at the time so I didn't have a hair issue.

Ibex hats are a bit larger and have a bit more give. My other winter hats are various iterations of the beanies by Patagonia. Not as low-profile as the icebreaker but they cover about 90% of each of my ears and, more importantly, they fit my ginormous head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big headed woman here.

I have come to realize that no one-size-fits-all woman's hat will fit me. This took me a surprisingly long time to realize, so apparently my big head is not filled with brains.

I have much better luck if there is a specific men's model hat. Especially if they then come in a S-M and L-XL size. The bigger men's size I have good luck with. If there isn't a man modeling it, then I don't bother.

One of my goals of someday learning to knit is to make myself a hat.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same problem here!
    If you are looking for a merino hat, I was super happy to found (and buy) one a few weeks ago from Smartwool; by luck I liked the look and tried it in the shop. I did not need a hat at that particular moment, but because it fitted me I just bought it. After some research it seems that I bought the "NTS Mid 250 Reversible Pattern Cuffed Beanie" (sorry I don't have the tag anymore). On the smartwool website it is in both women and men section, so I assume it is unisex/one size. I had the opportunity to try it again since and it is surprisingly warm.
    It actually really covers my head, my huge amount of hair and my ears, and it also STAYS in place (so not this horrible feeling of the hat going up your ears by itself - you know what I mean).
    Last edited by melhoune; 11-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any suggestions to share, but I have this problem too. I really wish Stormy Kromer hats (https://www.stormykromer.com/) came in larger sizes. (They say they have some of them in 8, but they've felt tight in my experience, alas!)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all! I will let you know what I end up finding for this colossal cranium, this not-nuthin' noggin, this big ol' head.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melhoune,

Thanks for the SmartWool tip! I found the cuffed beanie today and it totally works!! Can't say I am looking forward to the weather when I'll use it, but at least now I'm ready! Great find...

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    Melhoune,

Thanks for the SmartWool tip! I found the cuffed beanie today and it totally works!! Can't say I am looking forward to the weather when I'll use it, but at least now I'm ready! Great find...
    I'm SO GLAD it fits you too! Super happy for you!