Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just want to point out that the Costco version of the Dyson V8 Animal Cordless does come with Hard Floor Tool - the Dyson rep said it's only for Costco. Not the one that comes with the Absolute. It's very slim (which I appreciate b/c it fits almost everywhere).

Forum Member
    Raleigh, NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched from Dyson to Miele and I have to tell you it was a huge move up. With 2 dogs and 2 cats we saw the difference in cleaning ease and ability and build quality on day one.
    Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
    Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in one of the local Miele distribution stores today to get some replacement filters for mine. One of the salespeople was talking to a customer and telling them they don't even carry bagless vacuums because they don't clean as efficiently as those with bags.? Also, from what they were telling me, there's not a lot of difference between the Mieles specified for dog/cat and the regular line --- other than accessories that come with it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is way out in left field but the Windsor vacuum cleaners are awesome. It's a commercial brand, traditionally blue. We have all seen them in hotels and commercial buildings. We purchased the versamatic plus in 2003 and it still runs, cleans, and sounds like it is brand new. The 14" model is around $800. It's not as "fancy looking" as the consumer brands but they are workhorses, have an on board wand with accessories, and are flat built to clean.

It's kind of like buying a Tom Bihn bag when a JanSport would do but you want something that will last for a long time and function flawlessly.

Windsor Kärcher Group Versamatic Plus Dual-Motor Vacuum | Official Website

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirby has my heart and always will. Bought our first one in 1993 and it is still going strong. It has sucked up more pet hair of all kinds and much more, even used it in shop vac capacity with our woodstove and other household projects.

We have had 3 minor repairs over almost 25 years of ownership and we live close to the repair shop so it is very easy for us to keep ours going. Best money we ever spent on a vacuum. I bought a couple of Dysons in the past 10 years and while they worked well, they just did not last and they are too expensive to have them break down so soon! The first one was the rechargeable stick vacuum and it only lasted 3 years. While I loved how well it worked, I will never buy another one. I dropped it once and shattered the plastic, had to tape the thing shut and use it that way until it just died. Batteries expensive to replace! I will stick with my Kirby.

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrpe View Post
    I've had Dyson and Hoover and have switched to Kirby. Tough as a tank - no plastic, everything replaceable, sucks up dog hair like nobody's business. I have two Labs, a Husky, and a Rottie. If you're good at bargaining you can get one for a good price and it will last forever. My Hoover lasted less than a year, the Dyson about two, the Kirby still going strong after four. It's the TB of vacuums.
    I'm SECONDING this.

For years I used a Fantom (precursor to the Dyson) that was a screaming DUSTY plastic nightmare. I did not realize how damaging the thing was to my expensive wool rugs until an Aerus dealer (the company that was the ORIGINAL Elecrolux, before the name was sold to a Chinese company) pointed it out to me. There was something so satisfying about that big cloud of cat hair, dust, and stray carpet fibers (when I bought the rugs the salesman at ABC Carpet & Home said that the rug would "shed" for a time). The living room rug is orange, so it was easy to tell when I emptied the Fantom's dust bin. The Aerus guy came over for a demonstration and after I showed him what my Fantom could do, he looked considerably and asked me "How long have you had these rugs?" "Eight years", I responded. "You know," he went on, "after eight years, no carpet should be shedding anymore. What you've got there is your Fantom chewing the hell out of that rug."

I replaced my Fantom with an eight-speed Aerus Lux Guardian Platinum, with hospital-grade TRUE HEPA triple filtration.

Being a canister, I use the Aerus primarily for "above surface" vacuuming: on the lightest suction setting, with the genuine horsehair attachment, it makes dusting a breeze. It also has a powered mini-brush nozzle for upholstery.

For my thick, heavy wool rugs, however, I still wanted something more for truly DEEP cleaning.

That's when I rediscovered Kirby.

I bought a restored Dual Sanitronic 80 from a retired Kirby technician who collects them and lovingly restores them. My D80 was manufactured in 1968 and looks and sounds brand new. My grandmother had one, and I had forgotten what a pleasure it is to use a real MACHINE on the rugs! No screaming plastic nightmare: all metal construction with a solid deep-throated growl. I could even detect the subtle sweet scent of its fresh motor oil! Now THIS is a MACHINE! From the Fantom/Dyson to the Kirby, it's like jumping out of a Prius and into a Ferrari.

But the proof is in my rugs -- and in the Kirby's dustbag.

NEVER have my rugs felt so fluffy and "conditioned"; the Kirby's suction is second to none but its horsehair beater-brush actually BRUSHES the rugs, rather than chewing the hell out of them like my stiff-bristled nylon Fantom was doing. And checking out the bag, all I see is dust, pet hair, lint -- and not one trace of an orange fiber from the rug!!

Now, my Kirby is just as versatile with its attachments as is my Aerus -- it IS, however, a bit involved to use them. But with these two vacuums I've got the best of both worlds.

Do yourself a favor: check out Kirby. Living in a smallish New York City apartment, I opted for a vintage model because prior to 1969, the beater-brush nozzles were 13 inches across, as opposed to 16 inches, which they are today. Those three fewer inches make maneuvering around furniture in my tight quarters much easier. But new or vintage, these machines are built like tanks and really were designed to outlive their owners.
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 03-06-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Miele, I had two long haired cats and white carpet throughout. Very happy with the hair suckability.

Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with my Miele vacuums. One great thing about the Miele is that the large powerbrush head is really easy to disassemble for cleaning/long hair removal (I have very long hair that has destroyed lesser vacuums in the past). The mini turbobrush is perfect for getting cat hair off of my furniture.

Houston, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three for Kirby!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just recently purchased the SHARK Rocket, and that little bugger picks up a lot of stuff I never knew was in the carpet in the first place. No bags to deal with, just empty the container. We don't have pets, so I cannot attest to the cat and dog hair problem of a lot of other people, but the Rocket does a great job for us, and it has attachments in a convenient cloth bag.
    Smile! People will wonder what you're up to!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another Miele vote here. We have 2!
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 3 dogs and a few cleaning options... Most of our floor is hardwood, so I steam it a bunch, but vacuum wise, we have a Rainbow canister and a Simplicity canister. Simplicity was inherited though.

Iowa,Des Moines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to have a Black and Decker 12v vacuum https://wheelstips.com/best-car-vacuum-cleaner and it worked ok. The biggest drawback was that to use it we had to crawl on our knees. Not fun.

I kept my eye out for deals on the Dyson rechargeables and found some great deals on factory refurbs on Amazon. These are amazing vacuums. So powerful, lightweight and easy to use we bought another one for the house to replace a standard upright vacuum. The canister is small, and the battery lasts for about 20 minutes, but for us that is more than enough even for home.

The biggest challenge is remembering to plug it in to charge whenever we have shore power. There must be a way to convert this to charge on 12v but I have not looked into it.

Perhaps someone here has done a conversion on one of these to 12v and can share how they did it.

Natick, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken your Miele to a repair shop? They are often fixable and near my home there are many repair shops. I really love my Miele Olympus- it eight years old and still runs perfectly with great suction and tons of tools to get corners/sofas etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Miele. I have a vacuum that I bought in 1996 from them which is still going strong (well, it's duct-taped and cracked in places but the main sucky part still works great).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast