Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vacuum cleaner recommendations?

I have a double-coated, long-haired Border Collie-Newfie mix who sheds like a maniac. Any recommendations for a vacuum cleaner? We have a Hoover that is probably perfectly decent for most purposes except it's awful with dog hair.

Any suggestions??

North Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you can afford in a Dyson. I foster Pomeranians and I have both a full-size Dyson that I've had since 2004 and a Dyson stick that I've had a few years. I actually prefer the stick. If I keep up with it daily, it works great. I have hard surfaces -- very little carpet. I use the big Dyson on the carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoVA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconded. Dyson works swimmingly.

Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have one big dog that sheds a ton (lab/retriever/mutt of the sweetest kind). We have a cordless Dyson and it does a great job on our hardwood floors and the one room with carpet (if we had more carpet I'd probably need the regular one). It also does a decent job in the car, and b/c it's so light and portable -- and doesn't live tucked in the closet -- I actually use it all the time. Only complaint is that the bin could be bigger -- it sucks up so much stuff that I have to empty it every 5 minutes or so.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knitmoresocks View Post
    Whatever you can afford in a Dyson. I foster Pomeranians and I have both a full-size Dyson that I've had since 2004 and a Dyson stick that I've had a few years. I actually prefer the stick. If I keep up with it daily, it works great. I have hard surfaces -- very little carpet. I use the big Dyson on the carpet.

Seconding this, at least about the Dyson stick. I've had mine (a V6 I think?) for years and it is perfect for little daily pickups on hard floors. Easily tracks down all the fur tumbleweeds that float around, and because it is so bendy and has such a small powered head, it is easy to get into small space (think, under furniture and behind exercise machines and into weird corners around the toilet.)

However, as knitmoresocks implied, it is not suitable for proper vacuuming of carpet. I've been making do with a Roomba and the Dyson stick for a couple years, because my apartments have mostly been wood flooring. But I finally had to give in and order a "real" vacuum (sadly not a Dyson, because I just don't have enough carpet to be worth that) in order to get my carpet-like area rugs and actual carpet truly clean.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Scranton, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Oreck Forever Series Gold, and I would highly recommend it. We purchased it because we were looking for a vacuum that was made in the US, and fell in love with it for it's simplicity and power. Two speeds, a brush, a belt and a bag. I think their new "Cadillac" model the Elevate Gold has some more features, but in a quick look, it seems they've maintained their focus on simplicity and US manufacturing (some of their cheaper models are made overseas I think). One downside is that it's JUST a vacuum. There are no hoses or handheld suckers, but we also purchased their standalone unit for that, and we also love it. Happy to elaborate if you have any specific questions. I have no real experience with any other vacuum, but I've also heard people rave about their Dysons. This is just my rave [rant?] about our Dyson Smilie
    Carry what you need.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also add to the Dyson comments - I have used a Dyson Animal for years, and it works well, and you can also get all kinds of special attachments to deal with animal hair. I have other friends who highly recommend the Shark vacuum cleaners, and they are a more reasonable price point, and seem to have many great features.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for dyson as well! we have had a rotating cast of super-sheddy cats since buying ours in 2010 or so and it's been great / still performing well. not having to buy bags / washable filter are nice touches, too. I think ours is an allergy / asthma model (extra filtration step before air is pushed back out). bought it refurbished from overstock.com for a song!

I also like the telescoping wand handle, which gets used so much more often than I anticipated for cleaning and "dealing with" the massive house centipedes with which we apparently cohabit.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ++1 for Dyson. I bought the Animal model forever ago, maybe 2007. I grew tired of replacing sub par vacuums that never had the suction power I was after. And as capncat already mentioned above, not having to buy bags is a plus and it's super quick and easy to clean. Mine is still going strong (knock on wood).

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a mix of hardwood floors, tile and area rugs and dogs who shed *a ton* and I'm very happy with my Panasonic MC-CG902 Canister Vacuum Cleaner. It never loses its suction and the power bristle head thing is quite good at removing pet hair from the rugs.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vacuum cleaner recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by flips712 View Post
    ++1 for Dyson. I bought the Animal model forever ago, maybe 2007. I grew tired of replacing sub par vacuums that never had the suction power I was after. And as capncat already mentioned above, not having to buy bags is a plus and it's super quick and easy to clean. Mine is still going strong (knock on wood).
    We also have an Animal and like it. It's had a few issues but we have a Dyson service center in the metro and they have gone above and beyond to make sure they were taken care of and we have never paid a dime after the initial purchase.

Alternate between SW Ohio & Michigan's lovely Upper Peninsula
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the Dyson. Works well on any surface, and eats dog hair like nothing I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more votes for a dyson. We have an upright and a cordless stick, and both have held up well. Cordless for day to day, upright for the big cleanings, and we use a Roomba every couple of days in the foyer/kitchen/dining and living room. I have heard good things about Miele as well. I think costco sells all three brands, if you have a membership.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    I also like the telescoping wand handle, which gets used so much more often than I anticipated for cleaning and "dealing with" the massive house centipedes with which we apparently cohabit.
    hahaha, I forgot to add this feature to my post, but it's so true. I've used ours to suck up more than one creepy crawlie from the ceiling -- that benefit alone (+ that it's easy to grab off the charger, lift up, etc.) almost justifies the price alone Wink

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a Dyson Animal and it worked well for me; however: the last vacuum I bought is a Hoover Windtunnel (pet version) and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. It's frankly kind of ugly, but it works really well, never clogs, and has a bunch of attachments, an easy-clean filter, a retractable cord, and a folding handle to make it easier to store. I'm mentioning it because it costs like 1/4 of a Dyson vacuum. It's important to make sure it's the Hoover Windtunnel Pet; I don't think the normal Windtunnel does well with dog hair.

NB: my Dyson was ca. 2010 and the Hoover ca. 2013, so things might have changed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast