Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I never used the earbuds holder on my scottevest. That did seem dorky.
    OK I had to chuckle at that. When the owner of Scottevest presented his pitch on an episode of "Shark Tank" a few years ago, he boasted about how he had a patent for that earbud tube/holder, and how he's been busy suing all the other clothing companies that sold jackets with a similar feature.

The Sharks essentially all rolled their eyes and told him that patenting that was stupid... and you could just sense their level of respect for the guy plummet.

He got zero offers from the Sharks and he left empty-handed.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that I do fine with just a regular jacket with zippered outside pockets, then "hidden" inside pockets on the inside of where the exterior pockets are. When I zip up the bottom of the jacket, those internal pockets are pretty safe and I can keep my wallet there. Even better, I use a TB mini Halcyon organizer pouch as my wallet (it holds more than the organizer wallet) and clip a lanyard on it, and wear it around my neck and tuck it under my shirt. Voila. One pocket I don't need.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the idea of these, since most of the pockets on women's clothes are so small. I can't put my phone in the pocket of my work pants, basically ever. I am with @backpack though, I wouldn't want to be forced to keep my jacket on throughout the day if the weather got warmer.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    OK I had to chuckle at that. When the owner of Scottevest presented his pitch on an episode of "Shark Tank" a few years ago, he boasted about how he had a patent for that earbud tube/holder, and how he's been busy suing all the other clothing companies that sold jackets with a similar feature.

The Sharks essentially all rolled their eyes and told him that patenting that was stupid... and you could just sense their level of respect for the guy plummet.

He got zero offers from the Sharks and he left empty-handed.
    I saw that! I actually met that guy when he came to Dallas one time and did a demo of his jackets. He isn’t the sort of guy I would want to spend a lot of time around. Kind of full of himself, it seemed.

But I do wear my trench every year and on every trip to the UK. It is a nice weight and the fabric feels nice. It does a good job as an all around windbreaker/raincoat, and isn’t too hot to keep on indoors. And it crushes down surprisingly small... I can roll my size L trench coat into an ebags slim packing cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long time user of Scottevest jackets, but I’d also recommend the Betabrand travel yoga pants or travel yoga skirt. Both have discreet zippers.

Another option is one of those runners belts that have zippered pockets - flip belt or Spibelt.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 05-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a women’s travel vest from Scotteveste a few years ago but ultimately passed it on. While good in theory, most of the pockets were on the inside of the vest and bulked out big time, which was especially prominent as the vest itself had a streamlined, flat front (vs. what I call the classic “safari” style with the pockets on the outside). My other big issue was the material of the vest was not comfortable and felt a little rough and scratchy. I seem to recall the Velcro bits rubbing against my skin. Now, that was a few years ago, so material and construction could have changed.
    Last edited by Emilymachado; 05-08-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilymachado View Post
    I picked up a women’s travel vest from Scotteveste a few years ago but ultimately passed it on.
    Yeah...I have a women's travel jacket that would be nice on someone else but has never ever fit me (I have far too many curves).
    I'd pretty much give it away if I could find someone that wanted it.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good travel use from 2 women's Scottevest travel vests over the years, but they're definitely part of "a look" and they're not perfect.

The good:
    * stowing extra gear when you'd otherwise be over limit (one-bagging to Europe in winter)
    * hands-free carrying in cool or cold weather
    * organising in-transit gear safely.

Things I'd change (but tailoring them would be way fiddly):
    * When loaded, I have weight on the front of the vest (and sometimes bulk on the back, but not counterweight). Combined with the cut of the neckline, this means I notice the back of the vest collar bearing against my nape.
    * The phone pocket holds my phone squarely over my nipple, which is neither discreet nor attractive. Moving the bottom of the pocket a few inches higher would put the phone flat against the upper plane of my breast, which I'd prefer.

I've been moving away from this kind of gear and towards clothing that looks more like normal urban street wear - but has zipped pockets. When I do that I sometimes have to build up light layers to give the same level of protection as having the internal zipped pockets of the Scottevests.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the recommendation to use sporting jackets from such brands as Marmot and Patagonia.

More specifically, I have found that what they call "technical jackets" meant for approach/hiking work really well for travel. I have a few that I use for travel and outdoor music festivals (worn from high heat at noon to chilly desert nights at midnight).

Generally, my rules for a good travel jacket are:
    1) lightweight and thin enough to pack compactly but warm enough to wear outside at 65 deg F. for many hours
    2) sized for layering clothes underneath
    3) has at least four pockets, two large ones at the waist, two smaller ones at the chest; extra pockets on the shoulders are even better
    4) preferably waterproof or at least water resistant; if not waterproof at all, must be synthetic fabric, not cotton, for quick drying
    5) preferably have pit zips to regulate body heat and moisture; if waterproof, pit zips are a MUST, or the jacket will become uncomfortable with strenuous activity
    6) must have a stowaway hood that rolls into the collar
    7) preferably has multiple adjustments, especially at the waist and cuffs, to shut out wind or rain.
    8) preferably can accept zip-in or button-in liner for extra warmth
    9) preferably a neutral color that does not get too hot in direct sunlight--I usually choose khaki or medium grey

Technical jackets usually are not cheap due to the high-tech fabrics and crazy amount of sewing that goes into them, but they last a lifetime and are super-versatile. They are all I use for one-bag travel now.
    Last edited by dchang0; 05-25-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, no-bag travel is a bit light for me. In the summer I usually just bring a suit jacket and stash convenience stuff in the pockets. in winter I like my Fjällräven Raven jacket; it has a more technical-outdoorsy look like the Scotte, with outer pockets for gloves or umbrellas and a zip-out hood. It's definitely not packable though.

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an ExOfficio Rain Logic jacket a few years ago, essentially for travel. I figured that if I was going to wear and pack a jacket, that it needed to have multiple uses. I used it from 75 degrees (F) down to the 30's.

The Rain Logic sports a number of pockets inside and out and its been awesome for rain showers in the UK, France and the midwest. I have especially enjoyed the pockets for passing easily through TSA. I just put my tech and anything metal in the pockets and put the jacket in a bin and pass through. I roll the jacket up and it fits perfectly in the bottom compartment of my S19. The jacket was so great that I purchased one for my wife and for my daughter.
    Last edited by 3rdCoastHighlander; 06-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2