Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Any tips on so-called Travel Jackets?

You've probably seen [Baubax](https://www.baubax.com/) travel jacket (originally on Kickstarter), which offers all kinds of pockets and gee-whiz doodads like a zipper pull that is also a pen. There's also a [rip off](https://www.amazon.com/XY37-Travel-J...dp/B01N1RT1R4/) that sells for a bit less, plus those ScotteVests.

I sort of like the idea of all those pockets, and I think I might like the built-in eye shade. Having said that, I wouldn't consider wearing anything as dorky looking as a ScotteVest. (Am I covering a war for CNN in the 80s? Do I have different lenses in each pocket? Am I over 55? In each case, the answer is no, so I have no business wearing that!)

But the hoodies I might be able to get behind. My concern is that all these doodads get in the way when you're wearing the hoodie just around town. I'm also concerned that these are, well, dorky.

Any thoughts, travel experts?

Any tips on so-called Travel Jackets?-bxm003blk_1-png

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that they don't size up and down well. For example, the "drink cozie" pocket on the men's large is only bug enough for a lipstick or mini flashlight on the women's.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I both have Scottevest jackets. I have a black hoodie and he has the fleece zip up. Neither look dorky if the pockets aren't stuffed, but are great when traveling. I keep my phone and wallet in an inside pocket and feel confident in NYC subways. I got my husbands fleece for a safari where it worked very well, but two years later it's still his go-to jacket for everyday.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when I was still travelling full time, I never really saw the point in a travelling jacket. But then again, I usually don't wear a jacket at the airport. Once I'm in the building, I stuff my jacket, hat, gloves, whatever in my carry on, breeze through without ever having to take a coat off or keep track of it (separate than my luggage that is), and then pull it back out only on the other end when I'm about to exit the building and head to the cab stand/mass transit station/car rental agency.

Despite that, I have been somewhat interested in the ScotteVest Sport Coat. Sometimes I want to bring along my iPad Mini when heading out for dinner at nights, in order to read my e-book vs just sitting there alone. The sport coat seems like a dressier option for that vs my normal method of carrying it in my hand or wearing a bulkier coat with big enough pockets.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Scottevest fleece hoodie and a women's trench coat, both of which look totally normal and pretty stylish, but with a zillion useful pockets hidden from view. I have used both for traveling extensively and the trench is my main "nice" coat for daily use. I would leave a bag behind when traveling, and use all the inner zippered pockets for wallet, keys, phone, lip balm, gloves, tissues, and foreign coins. It is so liberating to have your hands free! The pockets are dispersed enough so you don't see lumps in the coat.

When in Ireland, I even carried wine bottles and groceries home from the shops in my trench, which is definitely not at fashion-forward, but is still pretty darn useful, and made me chuckle all the way home. The trench has a loop in the big pocket that keeps bottles upright!

Going through security, I simply take off the coat and run it through the X-ray, as though it were a bag. No need to remove anything from the pockets. So handy. And all the pockets are zippered so nothing falls out.

I never used the earbuds holder on my scottevest. That did seem dorky.

I think that Baubax looks pretty gimicky, but who knows. A pen on your zipper could be useful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with "travel" clothing. but I think you might find that a lot of ordinary sports clothing might have enough pockets for you. For example, I have a Marmot shoftshell which I love. I would suggest you try to see different kinds of vests/coats and try them on.
    the problem with dorkie is...it is dorkie. And you stand out as 'somebody not from here'. that is bad enough when you really aren't from here, but do you want to look that way in the grocery store?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I think travel jacket I think something that provides warmth or protection with little bulk. For carrying stuff I want a bag. So I like to pick a shell type coat that can stop wind and rain but is thin, and then a thin down coat like LL Bean sells that also folds thin.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of the Scottevest travel vests and I like it. i think a black vest over a black T/turtleneck is nondescript. Your 1980's CNN war correspondent image made me chuckle, but I get that vibe more when pockets/flaps are on the OUTSIDE of the jacket.

If you do get a jacket with lots of pockets, be sure to size up. You need lots of room for all the pocket contents. If the jacket is too snug then the pocket contents will make bulges that will be visible to others. That's not a good look on me.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've just been reading about this one, a coat that can carry an extra 15kg.
    The airport jacket that beats baggage fees and gives you an extra 15kg of luggage | Stuff.co.nz

I won't be rushing out to buy one! I travel happily with far less stuff than that and I don't fancy lugging a 15kg coat around.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have considered the Scottevest trench, but... I like the accessibility I get with a bag. If the jacket is closed then it is harder to get at all the stuff that is so carefully organized in all the pockets. Especially if I am sitting down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Raleigh, NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I've been glad I wore my Scottevest was on discount EU flights where they weigh your carryon. I could put my electronics, toiletries in the vest and lighten up my carryon considerably to make the cut. For most any other flight I left those type of vests at home.
    Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
    Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Iowa,Des Moines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a few different vests, but none of them was right. The material is too heavy, pockets of the wrong size or simply inconvenient at loading.I have two Domke vests https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-travel-vests/ that I have used for over 20 years. They have a large grid area, and I used this vests for over 20 years. They have a large grid area, so summer is not a problem. I do not know if they are the best, but they are the best I've ever tried.
    These jackets cost about $ 60, and a fishing vest - $ 9.99.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't need all the pockets. My only requisite for a travel jacket or vest is it must have two fairly large pockets that zip closed.

I usually use an older REI fleece vest. The logo is very discreetly located at the bottom of one a side seam. The outside pockets are deep and warm. There are also two deep inside pockets that do not zip close but I have used to carry an umbrella.

I use these pockets to carry my wallet and phone (which is my boarding pass) and things I take off during security, such as watch or anything in my pockets). During colder months, I usually have a hat, gloves and buff. If I use the jacket/vest only during flight, instead of my Side Effect or Travel Cubelet, I'll keep a small non-TB stuff sack with iPod Shuffle and earbuds.

I find it uncomfortable to carry too much in the pockets of my jacket or vest. I prefer a small bag.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Scott-E-Vest trench. I used it on a few trips, but it's been haunting the back reaches of my closet for awhile now. I found I just really didn't need it, and that I was more comfortable with a bag, especially on trips where I might want to remove or add layers during the day. It's a lot harder to do that when one of your layers is also your bag.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about warm weather? Those vests look to be ok for cold or chilly weather but, who wants an extra layer to shlep in 80F/30C degree weather?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast