Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Songs for All Occasions

Just for fun as we head into the weekend...Songs for All Occasions!

You know: the songs you listen to when you’re happy and when you’re sad, the songs that you’ve leaned on your whole life, the ones that make up your personal soundtrack. Please share your favorites in any or all categories, and, if you’re so inclined, feel free to include a story or two about how the particular songs you’re talking about came into your life, what made you love them, and why they’ve stuck around.

Songs
    … for when you need to focus

… for times you’re in a celebratory mood

… for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off

… for when you’ve got a ton of energy

… for when you’re feeling introspective

… for when you feel like painting your bedroom black and letting your inner teenager sulk

… for winding down

… for when you’re feeling sentimental or nostalgic

Bonus #1: Songs you wish you’d written yourself

Bonus #2: The song you’d pick if you had to pick just one

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea but where are yours?

1- Loan me a Dime-Duane Allman & Boz Scaggs cover of Fenton Robinson classic song.
    This is just my overall favorite song pretty much,somehow?

2-I will Survive-Cake cover of classic Gloria Gainer song,can not ,not dance to this one really.
    I do loves me some Cake!

3-Little Feat-Waiting for Columbus-1 record to have on deserted Island
    Runner Up-Grateful Dead American Beauty,just as good but not as long.

4-Yes-The Yes Album-Brings me back from where I came.

5-Dianna Krall-Live in Paris,pure Nostalgia and great production too!

6-Any Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD,Live Music is the Only Music!

7-Marshall Tucker Band -Where we all Belong-Wind me Down.

8- The Allman Brothers-Live at the Fillmore East-Wake me Up!

9-Thomas Dolby-Aliens Ate my Buick-Just give it a listen and you tell me,and don't forget to turn it up to "11"!

Many of these are Albums and not songs too but many Albums tell the whole story and the songs are just the chapters of it.

I never thought of painting the bedroom black?
    Maybe Nirvana Live?

These are just off the top of my head and luckily change all the time,sort of!

I am really just all about the Blues if I have to choose though.

Buddy Guy
    BB
    Susan Tedeschi
    Clarence GateMouth Brown
    Jeff Beck
    Clapton
    Robert Cray
    SRV
    Jimmie Vaughn
    Tommy Castro-Everything I do is Bad for ME!

The list goes on and on.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Focus song: "Eye of the Tiger"
    Celebratory Mood: "Walking on Sunshine"
    Picking up and dusting myself off: "The show must go on" by Queen
    Ton of energy: Pretty much anything by Tabla Beat Science
    Introspective: "Pilgrim" by Enya
    Celebratory song: "Extraordinary Life" by Asia
    Winding Down: "Lullaby" from the movie Shock Treatment or the end credits version of "Science Fiction, Double Feature" from Rocky Horror.
    Sentimental/Nostalgic: "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from the musical Les Miserables
    Teen sulk song: "Orchard of Mines" by Asia

Songs I wish I'd written myself: The entirety of the musical "Assassins".
    Song I'd pick if I had to pick just one: "Calling America" by the Electric Light Orchestra.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post

9-Thomas Dolby-Aliens Ate my Buick-Just give it a listen and you tell me,and don't forget to turn it up to "11"!
    Bonus points for liking a Dolby song other than "She blinded me with science"

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I do creative work (usually writing), I'll put Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man" on repeat and just let it loop over and over again while I'm thinking and writing.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was almost like a test! Geez! Anyway, here are my songs
    … for when you need to focus: Study & Focus Music 161 by Yellow Brick Cinema

… for times you’re in a celebratory mood: Raise Your Glass by P!NK

… for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off: Cast Your Fate Into The Wind - George Benson cover

… for when you’ve got a ton of energy: La Terre De Mon Grandpere by BeauSoliel

… for when you’re feeling introspective: Appalachian Spring Suite by Aaron Copeland

… for when you feel like painting your bedroom black and letting your inner teenager sulk: Victims of Change by Judas Priests

… for winding down: From Where I’m Standing by Schuyler Fisk

… for when you’re feeling sentimental or nostalgic: I Sing the Body Electric from the movie Fame

Bonus #1: Songs you wish you’d written yourself: Long Ride Home by Patty Griffin

Bonus #2: The song you’d pick if you had to pick just one: Rocky Point Holiday by Ron Nelson

ETA: By the way, just kidding about the test part. It was just more difficult than I thought it would be. I actually spent the evening thinking about each answer. Nice exercise! I enjoyed it, well for the most part. Smilie

ETA 2: I added links. Ain't YouTube grand?
    Last edited by sujo; 03-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a fun exercise! I'm a big bluegrass fan and this list reflects that a lot. I'm sure some of my answers would be different tomorrow Smilie

Songs
    The entire Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe album... I do my best focusing when there is no singing

Seldom Scene Hit Parade of Love

Paul Simon Gone At Last

This slightly frantic, absolutely wonderful, and pretty dang rare version of Norman Blake and Bill Monroe playing Sally Goodin. (Seriously, if you're a bluegrass nerd at all, which I am in a major way, this recording with Bill and Norman is kind of a holy grail)

This fantastic cover of Bob Dylan's When I Paint My Masterpiece by Blake Mills. He's using the actual guitar that Dylan went electric with and it's just so cool. The full story of the guitar is awesome and is discussed in this video with Jason Isbell

… for when you feel like painting your bedroom black and letting your inner teenager sulk
    John Hartford Vamp in Middle. I wasn't a great sulker as a teenager, or now, but this album and song covered any emotional peaks and valleys. Still a go to for the same reasons. (And again, with the magic of YouTube, this video is crazy rare)

… for winding down
    Guy Clark Dublin Blues

Van Morrison Starting a New Life. A good friend gave me this album, with this song pointed out when my wife and I moved out west 12 years ago.

(tough to pick, so here's two)
    Steve Goodman City of New Orleans. Arlo's version is fine, but the original is better.
    John Prine Paradise. It's been said Bill Monroe wishes he'd written this song too.

Picking one song would be tortuous for me

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a new one Today.
    I am automating a house for a newly paralyzed old friend and I got Alexa to blast The Beatles "Help" in another room when he calls for a Nurse in the middle of the night.

He LOVES it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added a new one Today.
    I am automating a house for a newly paralyzed old friend and I got Alexa to blast The Beatles "Help" in another room when he calls for a Nurse in the middle of the night.

He LOVES it!
    @AVService, I love your taste in music, and how cool to get Alexa to play Help. Did you automate that using IFTTT?
    I love pretty much all Thomas Dolby, but if I had to pick one, it would be Budapest By Blimp!
    Last edited by jennvee; 03-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    WF: Original Halcyon/UV; Pilot: Original Halcyon/Wasabi; CP: Original Halcyon/Wasabi; SCB: Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi; LSs : Aubergine/Island and Nordic Halcyon/Monarch; DLBC: Nordic Halcyon/Steel; DLBP: Nordic Halcyon/NWS; SK: Black Halcyon/NWS; SEs: Black Halcyon/Wasabi and Nordic Halcyon/Iberian; LSB: Monarch; SSBs: Original Halcyon, Iberian, Sitka, Fjord; Clear 3DOC: Iberian; STT: Island; First Aid, various pouches and key straps

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here goes, all of these subject to change by the day!

… for when you need to focus - Jean Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger

… for times you’re in a celebratory mood - James Brown - It's Too Funky In Here

… for picking yourself up and dusting yourself off - Alan Parsons Project - Breakdown

… for when you’ve got a ton of energy - Deee-Lite - Good Beat

… for when you’re feeling introspective - Joe Walsh - The Confessor

… for when you feel like painting your bedroom black and letting your inner teenager sulk - Nine Inch Nails OR Johnny Cash - Hurt

… for winding down - Paul Hardcastle - Rain Forest

… for when you’re feeling sentimental or nostalgic - Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Bonus #1: Songs you wish you’d written yourself - Emerson Lake & Palmer - Lucky Man

Bonus #2: The song you’d pick if you had to pick just one - Steve Miller Band - The Window
    WF: Original Halcyon/UV; Pilot: Original Halcyon/Wasabi; CP: Original Halcyon/Wasabi; SCB: Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi; LSs : Aubergine/Island and Nordic Halcyon/Monarch; DLBC: Nordic Halcyon/Steel; DLBP: Nordic Halcyon/NWS; SK: Black Halcyon/NWS; SEs: Black Halcyon/Wasabi and Nordic Halcyon/Iberian; LSB: Monarch; SSBs: Original Halcyon, Iberian, Sitka, Fjord; Clear 3DOC: Iberian; STT: Island; First Aid, various pouches and key straps

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little late to the party but ahh, I love this! It's also kind of hard because a lot of these are full-album kind of deals for me! I'm going to try my best, though.

Songs...
    "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford.

"Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello, or maybe "Party Hard" by Andrew W.K.

"Ain't No Grave" by Johnny Cash

"On the Regular" by Shamir

This is like half of my collection. Uhh... "Field Below" by Regina Spektor.

This is the other half of my collection... "Bloody Kisses (A Death in the Family)" by Type O Negative

… for winding down
    "Unkerich" by Bohren & Der Club of Gore

"Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof

ETA: Bonus songs!
    "Dust My Broom" by Elmore James

"Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen, as long as I get to have all of the covers and different versions as well!
    Otherwise, if it's one song and one performance forever... probably "Wait For It" performed by Leslie Odom Jr. from the Hamilton soundtrack.
    Last edited by MatthewR; 03-28-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennvee View Post
    @AVService, I love your taste in music, and how cool to get Alexa to play Help. Did you automate that using IFTTT?
    I love pretty much all Thomas Dolby, but if I had to pick one, it would be Budapest By Blimp!
    Nope you need to add another command to get IFTTT going in general but using YONOMI in this example I didn't plus I can get notifications when any YONOMI routines are run to make sure everything is working OK.

I am also a huge Dolby fan but I think I like Pulp Culture the best,maybe?

But yes since Pandora is around mine change a lot too!

cave of caerbannog
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another category - 'Song you play just before you scratch someone's eyes out'

In the Brownies by Billy Connolly.....Billy in the Brownie costume and pig tails is funny beyond words...
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....
    be nice - until it's time to not be nice.......what separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope you need to add another command to get IFTTT going in general but using YONOMI in this example I didn't plus I can get notifications when any YONOMI routines are run to make sure everything is working OK.

I am also a huge Dolby fan but I think I like Pulp Culture the best,maybe?

But yes since Pandora is around mine change a lot too!

Oh, I keep forgetting about Yonomi since I've been using IFTTT to control all of my Hue bulbs from Alexa. This is probably a discussion for a different forum, though! I think it's really nice of you to set that up for your friend, I'll bet he smiles every time he uses it. That would make a painful time for him just a little bit better. Back to Dolby, I love Pop Culture too, and Hot Sauce, and Airhead, hmmm... you are right, that whole album is too good!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennvee View Post
    Oh, I keep forgetting about Yonomi since I've been using IFTTT to control all of my Hue bulbs from Alexa. This is probably a discussion for a different forum, though! I think it's really nice of you to set that up for your friend, I'll bet he smiles every time he uses it. That would make a painful time for him just a little bit better. Back to Dolby, I love Pop Culture too, and Hot Sauce, and Airhead, hmmm... you are right, that whole album is too good!
    It is a pretty frustrating but rewarding project for sure.
    He has a little autonomy now and can make a few things happen for himself that he could not before and it is pretty empowering it seems which was the entire point to me going in.
    Others in the house can not seem to invoke Alexa now as well as he does,it is just a win all around!
    I used Lutron lighting control mainly because it is Lutron but also because Alexa does not talk to Sonos yet but the Lutron Hub will and Sonos is what I used to move music around the house as Alexa only does music from the Alexa that hears your command at the time?

So.......when he calls for help Alexa is telling the Lutron Hub to tell Sonos to play "Help"!
    The song is on a Mac Mini where the house iTunes is.

Simple for him but......

Anyway this is what I do every day but usually not with Alexa and consumer oriented gear entirely.

Getting the TVs to play around the place is another entirely out of proportion project but considering that he can't pick up a remote control there are not a lot of options.

So I use Harmony Hubs in an "Unsanctioned" manner!

Yonomi seems like the easiest way to integrate the stuff for AV and like I said I can also sort of keep an eye on it without trying.

There are also Smart Locks on the doors and it can Geo-fence his chair if he has his phone with him to unlock the house.
    This is not entirely as handy as it might sound though as is often the case there can be downsides to the automation.
    Sort of a double edged sword!

Anyway I am going back over the Summer to make a few additions and changes and then I will be copying everything into their other 2 houses once he is comfortable with it and I am confident it is helping and not making anything worse!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast