Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best/lightest folding chair?

Wondering if Bihnions have a rec for me! I would like a small, light, folding or camp chair, the kind you sit on to watch kids' soccer games at a field, or maybe around a campfire. I keep one in the car - it was $8 at Modell's a few years ago, but it's a bit bulky to carry in, say, a Shop Bag.

I was at REI yesterday. They had a little REI-brand kids' camp chair, which was the perfect height off the ground but a touch heavy for its size. They had other REI chairs which were meant for adults, not much higher off the ground, with mesh backs, but the legs were all in the center of the chair so it wasn't as comfy and felt unstable. There was an Alite chair which was a lot lower to the ground - I didn't try sitting in that one.

I haven't done an exhaustive search, just thought this community might have ideas to jump-start my quest. Any chairs you love and can rec? Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camp Time (www.camptime.com)

I have an earlier version of their Roll-A-Chair. It is very light and is comfortable for sitting. Not well suited for lounging or dozing.

Its the most portable chair with back support I know of.
    Last edited by JohnDel; 03-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two questions to ask are how much are you willing to spend, and do you want to have to assemble it when you get to where you are going? The lighter you go, the more expensive it may be, and the more chance you may have to assemble it when you get to your destination. I have an Alite chair and an older REI flex lite type chair, and I find them both light and comfortable, but I have to spend a couple minutes erecting them when I get to my destination, versus a heavier one I can just unfold. I don't mind doing that, since they are convenient to fit in a backpack since they pack small, but if packed size is less of an issue, you may be able to get a sturdier chair that is easier to set up. My one recommendation is if you can, get a chair that collapses into a tube type shape as it is easier to fit in the car and carry if it comes in a sling type bag. I don't see it on the REI website now, but I had even purchased a 2 person "sofa style" chair that collapses that way, and it is really handy for larger gatherings.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad has a Helinox chair, and loves it. He got it for Xmas, so I had a chance to try it out, and it seemed pretty comfy to me.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a helinox one chair and the Alite mayfly, which sits lower and is a bit smaller and lighter, and a little more comfortable. But I typically reach for the helinox since it is faster to set up, and sitting up higher is occasionally more convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy weekend over here, just getting back to this thread! Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look up Helinox and the Camp Time chairs. NWHikerGirl, good questions! The answer is that I'm open-minded at this point. I have the heavy-but-quick to set up type in my car, and would be willing to get a reasonably-priced upgrade to that - say, one with a mesh back for hot days. But I would also love to find something lighter, for situations where there's a long walk, say. I'd be willing to do a little assembling as a tradeoff.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If price is not an issue, I concur with Kathryn and Amy: consider Helinox. If I didn't already have too many chairs, this would be on my wishlist since it is ridiculously light and compact https://www.rei.com/product/109587/helinox-chair-zero
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this chair. Not the lightest but has an awesome sun visor and super fast to set up and easy to carry but it is just under 10#
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by hillview; 04-02-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such great options, up and down the spectrum!! Clearly I need to have a chair budget alongside my TB budget, lol. Will put a couple of these on my wishlist and watch for sales. Thank you all for the suggestions!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Such great options, up and down the spectrum!! Clearly I need to have a chair budget alongside my TB budget, lol. Will put a couple of these on my wishlist and watch for sales. Thank you all for the suggestions!!
    We use the REI Flex lite ones and put them in the bottom compartment of the A45 PCBP.
    Best/lightest folding chair?-image-jpeg
    Best/lightest folding chair?-image-jpeg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great visual, thanks!!