Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    Does anyone know if the stated dimensions are absolute, or given for the purposes of specifying a maximum volume? I.e. can you bring a powerbank that is small but thick?
    No, it has to be no more than .6 inches thick. The thinness issue is a real challenge. I could find very few power banks that met the criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolpertinger View Post
    I'd say nothing is final, yet.
    I'm still hoping that nothing of those regulations will be implemented.
    Me too, but sadly, it looks like it is just a matter of time.

Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Anker and Jackery make some thin powerbanks, though you're unlikely to get much more than 6000mah out of something that small. I have an anker Powercore Slim, which is 5000mah.

Boy am I glad I don't live in the US and have no intention of traveling there any time soon. Good luck to you all.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Anker and Jackery make some thin powerbanks, though you're unlikely to get much more than 6000mah out of something that small. I have an anker Powercore Slim, which is 5000mah.

Boy am I glad I don't live in the US and have no intention of traveling there any time soon. Good luck to you all.
    The largest capacity one I have found that meets regulations is this 12000 mAh one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, I think many of you are worrying about something that may not happen. There was a lot of pressure from the EU and airline pilot groups against the ban. It would truly affect business and the current administration doesn't want to affect any business.

I'm in Europe and ever since the announcement it wouldn't happen a few days ago, there has been no mention of it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Seriously, I think many of you are worrying about something that may not happen. There was a lot of pressure from the EU and airline pilot groups against the ban. It would truly affect business and the current administration doesn't want to affect any business.

I'm in Europe and ever since the announcement it wouldn't happen a few days ago, there has been no mention of it.
    I know y'all think this is a US only thing. It isn't. When this gets implemented (in whatever form or fashion) then it will affect most airlines and many countries.

We may also see this being implemented from one day to the next and may only start with one departure airport or two - and the first destination may not be the US.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is an important discussion to have - regardless of any device ban.

There are so many things that can go wrong on a trip - bags can get stolen, devices can get dropped and damaged - and we all need some sort of a viable backup plan for our important data and presentations.

I remember many years ago traveling with my shiny new Sony laptop. It was thin and light and for some reason used a weird connector for the power supply. I packed the power supply in my checked bag along with the presentation materials figuring if the bag got lost I'd be dead in the water anyway. The bag arrived on time with the end of the power cord hanging out. It seems that somewhere along the line between Japan an Munich, some inspector opened the bag and the cord was left dangling. It was one of those old Samsonite clamshell cases and the case nearly severed the cord - I had the laptop but no power and nobody had a power supply with that "Japan only" tip.

Now I use Dell computers and pack a few adapter cords for the new Dell size plug because wherever I go somebody will have a Dell power supply.

I'm going to start playing with a Windows 10 phone that supports Continuum. It might not be the fastest PC out there, but it'll double as a phone and let me do most of my "business PC stuff" in a pinch. As Win10 mobile matures, we'll see more and more business applications coming to the MS store..
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    For a couple of hundred $$, you can buy a "PC on a stick" that incorporates an entire PC in a form somewhere between the size of a very large USB stick and a small portable backup drive. Some, like the one from InFocus Kangaroo, have a full assortment of ports to allow you to plug in keyboards, mice and monitors. At least for the foreseeable future, these PCs should be allowed in-cabin.
    Thanks for that reference. I'd never heard of the InFocus Kangaroo, and it does meet the requirements for size! That's a very nifty and cheap way to bring a full-fledged standalone (though underpowered and headless) Windows machine with you on a trip. I read that you can use one of those with an iPad to see a screen; I assume it would also work with an iPhone? It would be GREAT if there was such a device for Mac. I wonder if there's a way to make a Mac Mini fit in that tiny form factor, or to put a "mac on a stick" like you can do with Windows.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4