Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier today the EU seemed to announce there would be no ban in the near future as reported by The Independant, but then us officals contradicted it stating the ban remains on the table.

Seems that they want to keep everyone guessing eh?

Confusion over laptop flight ban as US denies EU reports that proposals have been scrapped

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    Earlier today the EU seemed to announce there would be no ban in the near future as reported by The Independant, but then us officals contradicted it stating the ban remains on the table.

Seems that they want to keep everyone guessing eh?

Confusion over laptop flight ban as US denies EU reports that proposals have been scrapped
    It's likely less of the U.S. government "keeping everyone guessing" and more of The Independent, in this instance, simply making a mistake.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has also been a new advance in X-ray scanners that they are testing that significantly improves their ability to detect explosives. Hopefully these new scanners will squash the need for a laptop ban and a liquids ban. But I bet we see a laptop ban this before all these get rolled out. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ps-and-liquids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've seen in recent news reports, nothing has been decided yet, so there's no timeline for a Laptop ban. It may happen in the near future, and it may not.

One concern of TSA lately, is that travellers who are trying to avoid paying for checked luggage, have been packing their carry on bags so full, that the screeners can't tell what the contents are. If that's the case, travellers may have to unload their carry on bags in the security line, which is going to slow things down and incur the wrath of anyone behind them in the security line. Here's an article on the subject - https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/24/...carry-on-bags/

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my quest to prepare for a a laptop-less travel setup, I discovered this tip today:

You can use the $40 Amazon Fire Stick with Airplay by installing an app on the Fire Stick:
    https://www.ikream.com/2017/04/add-a...-fire-tv-25126

This means that you can wirelessly mirror your iPhone's screen to an HDMI-capable device via wifi. Awesome! I've ordered a Fire Stick to test it out. You wouldn't even have to bring an HDMI cable (unless the place you were going had no wifi).
    Last edited by Amy; 06-01-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received the $40 Amazon Fire Stick today, and I'm happy to report that it does indeed mirror an iPhone to a large screen via Airplay, by purchasing a $3 app called "Air Receiver uPnp" from the Amazon store, and letting it sync to the Fire Stick. This provides a wireless way to use a larger screen from your iPhone. Yesss! This also works for Macs, by the way. It works well. It relies on both your iPhone and the Fire Stick being on the same wireless network. The speed of it will depend on your wireless speed.

So I'm still working on my laptop-less mobile setup which complies with the current ban (maximum dimensions of any item: 6.3" x 3.7" x .6" thickness). Here's a photo of everything I've got so far. Total weight of everything in this pic is about 2.8 lbs. Except for the wall charger which is fat and square, everything fits within the dimensions of the electronics ban.

Possible tablet and laptop ban on flights from Europe?-mobile_setup-jpg

This setup means that we leave our laptops behind, powered on, and use Remote Desktop and Jump Desktop to access our stuff. My husband, who's on Windows 10 and uses Android, can use the same equipment I pack for my Mac and iPhone.

I may not end up using the bootable Mac hard drive, but I'd rather have it in case of an emergency situation where I need to borrow a Mac from somewhere.

The downside is that I'll be dependent on wifi if I want to use the Fire Stick. Without wifi, I would have to use the HDMI cable if I wanted a large screen. I could still access my work remotely via cell data, but it'll be dog slow.

I'm going to be traveling in-state in a week; I will experiment with this setup and see how well it works.

EDIT: correction: it's a 2tb Seagate drive, not a 1tb. Also it's a 12,000 mAh power bank.
    Last edited by Amy; 06-03-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the make and model of the bluetooth keyboard?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    What's the make and model of the bluetooth keyboard?
    It is the Wizo ultra thin bluetooth keyboard.

I also just found this keyboard from EC Technology which fits within the dimensions.
    Last edited by Amy; 06-04-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any news? I thought there were discussions last week about the possible ban.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the discussions, the U.S. govt said they would not be putting bans on at this time but they are still thinking about it.

Your guess is as good as ours as to what will happen.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, but sadly, it looks like it is just a matter of time.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read more articles today suggesting that the DHS is now considering backing off the laptop ban, citing improvements in security screening. Some news sources suggest it is a face saving measure after the strong backlash from the EU and domestic airlines. I suppose it can change arbitrarily at a moment's notice, but the prognosis now looks better at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Some news sources suggest it is a face saving measure after the strong backlash from the EU and domestic airlines.
    That's definitely my read on the current situation, too. Seems like they realized it was overreach and found a way to back off. Hopefully it sticks!
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news for international travelers-- DHS will not be banning laptops! They have opted for demanding better screening at airports with direct flights to the US instead:
    https://www.wired.com/story/dhs-tsa-...xtra-security/

This will mean longer lines in airports, but what a relief to not have to risk putting expensive electronics through checked bags. Also, I'm all for better, more effective screening. I assume this means TSA will ramp up their screening skills as well.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5