Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying?: Long Time No See Edition (5/2017)

It's been a while since we've had a rousing edition of What Are You Carrying?, so let's go, shall we?

How to play: respond to each of the questions; answering the Bonus Question is, as its name implies, optional.

~~~~~~

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)?
    What are you reading?
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)?
    What are you listening to?
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    Bonus Question #1: What is your favorite non-TB travel item?
    Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, fun! I always enjoy these...

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? Today, Large Café in original Halcyon/wasabi with a large navy ballistic op. In the op, a SCB Freudian slip and papers that I need for a meeting. This bag is my tried and true, though there are others I use and enjoy too.

What are you reading? In Montmartre: Picasso, Matisse, and the Birth of Modern Art

What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? Not much.

What are you listening to? Ooooo Sara Thomsen, Sara Thomsen, Sara Thomsen...love her alto...LOVE. As well as my podcast line-up on Stitcher.

What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Lime-cumin chicken with onion/chipotle rice. Delicious!! and so Easy!

Saint Louis this summer for meetings; Rome in the fall for a five week translating gig.

Bonus Question #1: What is your favorite non-TB travel item? Hm...A fresh notebook.

Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well). Coffee in Halifax: Smiling Goat or Just Us; Rootbeer: Propeller, locally brewed.
    Last edited by KmK; 05-23-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play!

1. I am carrying:
    - Co-Pilot (Original Halcyon/Iberian)--work bag
    - Small DOP (Coyote)--wallet
    - SK (Steel/Iberian) OR PCSB (Fjord)--purse like object
    - Medium YSS (UV)--sock project
    - SSC (Sitka)--sock project
    - Swift (Verde/UV)--sweater project

2. I am reading Strengths Based Leadership by Tom Rath & Barry Conchie

3. I am watching Twin Peaks, Amazing Race and am eagerly/dreadfully awaiting the return of Bloodline

4. I listen to NPR

5. I like to drink cinnamon whiskey, I am going to cook a beef-cabbage stir fry tonight and I am going to bake a Texas sheetcake

6. I am traveling to Omaha in July, Folly Beach in July and Seattle in October (WOOT!)

7. My favorite non-TB travel item is (alas) Bonine and (yay) a knitting project

8. If anyone is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, I highly recommend Baan Thai!
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww yiss...

I've been mixing and matching with this a lot lately -- currently I'm in my Navy/Iberian Synapse 25. Now that spring has officially sprung and we're getting warmer weather, I might move to my Northwest Sky Tri-Star Packing Cube or back to my Co-Pilot, though, since I don't really need much other than a place to put my rain shell, a sandwich, and a portable charger.

What are you reading?
    I'm about to start The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, but I'm also reading through Eclipse Phase's 2nd Edition playtest from their recent Kickstarter and the Blades in the Dark rulebook in prep for a new game I'm about to start.

I don't really watch TV, haven't really watched any movies, nor been to the theater lately, so as is customary, I'm going to put the video game I've been playing lately: Horizon: Zero Dawn. It's a lot of fun, so far, and the world reminds me of Battlefield Earth's although I'm enjoying it a lot more than I liked that movie.

I've been listening to a lot of Kendrick Lamar's DAMN., John Legend's DARKNESS AND LIGHT and Diet Cig's Swear I'm Good At This.

Nothing interesting lately, although I just got some new stoneware ramekins that I'm pretty excited to try out. Smilie

Nothing interesting, unfortunately.

I honestly don't have much aside from TB gear these days, ha!

Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well).
    Shout-out to Buckley's Queen Anne here in Seattle. They're a sport bar/pub with a fairly varied menu, but their food delivers every single time I'm there and they have rotating taps so their beer selection rarely gets stale.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Badger!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's been a while since we've had a rousing edition of What Are You Carrying?, so let's go, shall we?

How to play: respond to each of the questions; answering the Bonus Question is, as its name implies, optional.

~~~~~~

I'm carrying the Black/Island Pilot today, with a 12" MacBook in a Cache inside. Other TOM BIHN accessories inside include the Sketchbook, Pen, Second Aid Pouch and mini padded organizer pouch (with earphones inside).

What are you reading?
    Looking for a book to read, actually.

Silicon Valley and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Meghan Trainor on my way into work this morning.

I was eating healthy (mostly freshly prepared or non-processed vegan meals), but got off track last week (stress eating). I need to get back on the wagon!

Possibly Haiti next month; the UK in August.

A hydroflask! I can empty it if needed before approaching airport security, and I can ask the flight attendant to refill it when they come around with beverage service.

Pupatella in Arlington, VA for the phenomenal Neapolitan pizza (great story behind this place).

True Food Kitchen in Fairfax, VA for a great selection of fresh vegan dining options (although, I am sure that their non-vegetarian items are great as well).

Cafe Kindred in Falls Church, VA for great coffee (wonderful people, a great vibe, and beans from Vigilante Coffee).

Pitango Gelato also has fabulous coffee, gelato, sorbets and hot sipping chocolate in the winter time (I go to the location in Reston, VA -- also wonderful people, and beans from Counter Culture Coffee).

Rare Bird Cafe in Falls Church, VA is a coffee roastery and cafe that opened up last October. Again, they make wonderful coffee.

Vedge in Philadelphia, PA for delicious fine vegan dining (the Spicy Grilled Tofu is my favorite, and is always on the menu).

Tattooed Mom in Philadelphia, PA is a dive bar with a great vibe. They serve greasy food that is absolutely awful for you but tastes fabulous; they have lots of vegan options; and they are open late into the night!

Blackbird Pizzeria in Philadelphia, PA has yummy vegan pizza.

b.good at several locations in Boston, MA as well as in Zurich, Switzerland has great salads. They are delicious even without any dressing. I love having them with grilled tofu on top!

H. Schwarzenbach is a wonderful coffee roastery and cafe in Zurich, Switzerland.

Wild Food Cafe in Covent Garden, London, UK has great raw, vegetarian dining options that taste as good as they look.

Now I'm hungry! Embarrassment
    -m

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm carrying
    Mostly my original grid Halcyon/steel Daylight Backpack. Sometimes my OG Halcyon/wasabi Synapse 19. Always going in a bag, my Nordic/wasabi Sidekick, which holds phone, notebooks, pens, wallet, work badge. It's a great backstage companion bag. So many pockets...

Reading WaPo, NYTimes, the second book of the Borderline trilogy. Also comic books. I'm still going through my Free Comic Book Day stash.

Watching I work in theater, so I'll mention that. I just saw and worked on a production of Peter Brook's Battlefield. If it comes to your city and you know who Peter Brook is, see it! One of the great theater experiences of my life. Aside from that, I like trashy TV.

Listenting to Lots of Aretha. Young Gifted and Black is a standout album. Also someone turned me on to Jidenna.

Cooking baking Drinking I'm best at the last one Wink Lately it's been rosé.

Travel horizons sigh. None on the horizon. I'm working nonstop till the end of the summer. After that Maine maybe. I need to start planning!

Bonus question #1 my favorite non-TB item is my little clay rabbit. He goes on every trip with me.

Bonus #2 In Minneapolis for pizza: Pizzeria Lola. My favorite bar is Grumpy's. I love bar food.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    black halcyon / UV S25 w/ cache, solar 3DOC, and sitka snake charmer (this rig has become my office EDC + <1 week travel workhorse). my regular ol' EDC since december or so has been a black halcyon / island SK (has this unseated my trusty black imago as top, uhh, sidekick? MAYBE. we shall seeeeeeee!), plus a smattering of OPs.

What are you reading?
    i'm going full transportation / supply chain nerd and starting 'ninety percent of everything' by rose george, to be followed with a smattering of others of similar subject matter. i guess i ended up in the right line of work!

just finished the new season of master of none, a+ would watch again. rewatching curb your enthusiasm and (SIGH) the o.c. (sometimes you want candy, okay?)

the multi-gb backlog of podcasts i've racked up on my phone, and a smattering of guilty pleasures.

cooking: been making a lot of breakfasts for dinner, lately it's been an egg scramble with green onion and a little ham, plus some good bread toasted and slathered with the remains of the strawberry freezer jam i made last summer (gotta make room in the freezer for a fresh batch!). so satisfying.
    baking: haven't done a ton of it lately, but to take for a family easter dinner, i made this cake and put the aforementioned strawberry freezer jam between the layers instead of the super rich frosting. IT WAS SO GOOD, you guys. Recipe: Southern-Style Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting | Kitchn
    drinking: all the water. generally a rotating cast of grapefruit seltzers of various varieties, filtered tap, the occasional topo chico (so fizzy it hurts, but in a good way)

outer banks of NC with some of my favorites in early september, a few trips-of-familial-obligation to MO for family things, and a couple weekend jaunts to chicago.

it's a tie between two things :x
    1) the squishable black hole that is my eagle creek hanging toiletry kit. i've used it constantly for ...nearly 15 years now? bed bath and beyond sold eagle creek products for a hot minute in the early aughts, and i managed to snag this super nice kit there for <$10 after a coupon and its clearance price. i was travelling a fair amount at the time, and it made life SO much easier to be able to have a small kit with everything i need, all but packed and ready at all times (just add clean socks 'n drawers!), from shampoo to phone charger to a tiny first aid kit.

2) my glorious, glorious, glorious dream car (which i finally pulled the trigger on earlier this year!), a black subaru wrx! i'm considering it a travel item bc i travel by car a lot. it's so. much. fun. i haven't taken many long trips in it yet, but will get to do two fairly close together later on in the summer (the aforementioned obligatory trips to MO), and i cannot wait. in short, this is basically me a minimum of twice a day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHt_9-NnuM

the vegetarian pho at california pho, in davenport, ia. i'm a sucker for soup anyway, and that particular pho is just........beyond satisfying. i crave it all the time.
    Last edited by capncat; 05-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new bag: Black Halcyon/NWS Smart Alec w/ Black Halcyon/NWS Side Kick jury-rigged as an UMP.

What are you reading?
    Re-reading The Stand by Stephen King

Binging on The West Wing, House of Cards, and Hawaii Five-O on Netflix.

Don't listen to a lot of music, so it's mostly sports radio or podcasts (but I generally stop listening after a few episodes and never finish)

Cooking: I'm trying to perfect a reasonable knock off of Chick-fil-A's spicy chicken.
    Baking: I'm on a cookie kick lately.
    Drinking: homemade vegan double hot chocolate - this answer never changes.

Chicago or California (location still TBD) with my brother in late summer if our vacation times can line up.

I just got some minimalist sandals from Bedrock Sandals. They are not the cutest, but they are comfy and pack up small. My Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes are used every trip.

Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well)
    Atlanta, GA: Sublime Doughnuts, Taqueria del Sol, Kevin Rathbun Steak, and The Optimist (seafood). Buford Hwy is great for more lesser known international restuarants.
    Last edited by Aeon; 05-23-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly my black/steel Co-Pilot these days. Because life is complicated and simplicity is soothing.

What are you reading?
    The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt

Have been occasionally catching re-runs of the original Star Trek, which are hilarious.

Leonard Cohen, lately. He wrote some brilliant stuff, particularly late in his life.

Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac and Cheese. Delicious. Oh, you mean from scratch? Ummmmmm....

Lots of family events. In the fall I'm planning a trip to Scotland and London, yay!

Still really enjoying my Pixel phone. It does everything!

Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well)
    Big fan of Sweetgreen's, though I really only like a few of their salads.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nordic / wasabi swift with black halcyon/ island sidekick inside
    Black dyneema daylight backpack

What are you reading?
    Between books but was just on a mountain kick: eiger dreams, k2 and Denali's howl

Guardians of the galaxy 2

awesome mix vol 2, of course! Big Grin

Maine root ginger beer

Iceland!

My fstop Kashmir backpack

The Automatic in cambridge MA

Manhattan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the week my verde Ristretto with small aubergine Q-Kit, small and medium double organizer pouches in verde, large organizer pouch in coyote, and a medium Eagle Creek "Pack-It-Original" sac in fern green.
    On the weekends, my small cafe bag in burnt orange with assorted pouches above.

What are you reading?
    "The Art of Invisibility" by Kevin D. Mitnick and "The Great American Economy: How Inefficiency Broke It and What We Can Do to Fix It" by Steve Slavin (set for release later this year).

"The Handmaid's Tale" and "From Lark Rise to Candleford" on Hulu.

"Washington Square" by The Village Stompers

A LOT of hamburgers (I need to increase my intake of red meat), plenty of eggs (scambled, fried in coconut oil, and seasoned with either turmeric or dill weed with black pepper and Himalayan pink salt), and my new favorite thing, avocado toast.
    Not doing a whole lot of baking lately -- no time.
    As far as drinking, I filter all my water through my Berkey water system (takes out EVERYTHING, including the fluoride), and I brew a lot of iced tea (lately I've grown to love this Matcha Green Cinnamon blend).

Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, and I think Pittsburgh. Maybe Austin, Texas for a workshop. And perhaps Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket for another workshop.

Eagle Creek medium packing folder in fern green. I have two -- one for each side of my Samsonite Silhouette.

The Odeon in TriBeCa. Famous for its burger (served with their signature chipotle mayo), and also the best chocolate pudding you'll find in the city.
    Last edited by NYCWriter; 05-24-2017 at 12:00 AM.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes at a handy moment - I'm on a train to London as I type this. Trusty Aubergine/Wasabi Aeronaut 30, containing a Zest PCSB in packing cube mode, a Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack size 4 (for dirty laundry), an Iberian Clear Quarter Cube (grooming kit), French Blue 3D Clear Cube (asthma inhalers), Wasabi Side Effect (holds sunglasses, reading glasses, fountain pens, contact lenses), Cardinal 3D Clear Cube (cables and chargers) and a Coyote Q-Kit (teabags!); my MacBook cache is on the table beside me. Another Q-Kit (in Forest, I think) is in my trouser pocket holding small change.
    What are you reading?
    I'm between books at the moment, or perhaps becalmed. The last piece of fiction I read was a pre-release first chapter of Charles Stross' new Laundry Files novel, The Delirium Brief, which is out in July.
    Rewatching the repeat showing of The 4400 which is being shown from the start on the UK Horror Channel. And of course keeping up with The Good Fight.
    A variety of stuff, as I've started a project to load my entire CD collection into my iTunes library. I think there are about 500 CDs which aren't in there yet - once they're all loaded I will pack the discs away in storage so that they take up less space. A persistent earworm at the moment is Fractals part I, a piece of electronica by a guy called Rune Foshaug.
    I haven't done much cooking myself recently, but my partner is doing a lot more. Recently we've had Crispy Asian Sea-bass, Sausage and Fennel Gnocchi Gratin, King Prawn and Chorizo stir-fry with Cavolo Nero, homemade Chicken Kiev, freshly baked cheese and onion bread rolls with chicken soup (all from scratch)... Drinks: my partner gave me a mixed case of craft beers for our anniversary, so I'm slowly wading through those - Keltek Brewery's "Magik" was a highlight so far; I returned the favour with two bottles of single malt: an Ardbeg 10, and a Glenmorangie 18 (it was our 28th anniversary) - we have enjoyed the Ardbeg (a very heavily peated Islay malt) but haven't opened the Glenmorangie yet. I've been in a whisky kind of mood and recently finished off the last quarter bottle of a Glenmoranygie Astar - it's a massive beast of a heavily oaked malt, cask strength with huge notes of vanilla and a finish which goes on for days... sadly, they haven't released any for several years and aren't making any more, and if one can track down a bottle of the increasingly rare elixir these days it will cost around £200. And there's always tea. Smilie
    Same old same old - London, London and London! And for work!
    Probably my SIGG Steelworks 'Vintage' water bottle, 400ml size. A small, neat, curvy design with a swing top, which fits neatly in one corner of the A30.
    Regular haunt: Cote Brasserie, in Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia - London. It's just round the corner from the office, the food is good French style brasserie fare and the prices aren't dreadful. It's a chain, but doesn't feel chain-y, if you know what I mean.
    Favourite cafe: Boston Tea Party, top of Park Street in Bristol (UK). The first one of a small chain in the south-west of England. I used to work for the bookshop which occupied the building before the cafe took it over. I don't drink coffee often, but if I'm in Bristol I will almost always try to drop in there for a large latte and a Portuguese custard tart.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 05-24-2017 at 02:50 AM.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aubergine/Wasabi sidekick with small clear double organizer pouch as a wallet, and a mini org pouch for the cards I don't access all the time, plus lots of key straps.
    Large shop bag in a different color each day, for carrying my lunch bag and my raincoat.

What are you reading?

The Fairy Caravan, by Beatrix Potter

Archer

The rain. It's not a musical group. We really need the rain.

Veggies and single malt scotch, but not at the same time.

Montana and Idaho for the next total eclipse of the sun.

Eagle Creek Specter Medium Garment folder, followed by the Eagle Creek Specter Clean/Dirty Cube.

There are NO good restaurants in central Florida. They all assume you're a tourist and that you won't be a return customer. Ugh.
    There's one good sushi restaurant, but their wait staff always treats us bad, so I won't mention their name.
    If we go there with friends, we get waited on nicely.
    But if we go as a couple, we are seated in the back, ignored, and they forget half the items we ordered.
    Once we refused to sit in the back, and we sat in the middle of the restaurant, and they still ignored us and forgot half our order.
    We always tip well and are polite, so I cannot imagine why the service is always so bad.
    I've seen reviews online that complain about the same bad service if you are a small party.

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Original Halcyon/Wasabi S19 with: original Halcyon SE (EDC + Aubergine Travel Organizer Wallet + Nordic OP with meds + Steel QKit with change), Iberian TSS Size 1 (Black OP with cables + Fjord OP with hearphones + chargers), Wasabi 3DOC with first aid kit, Freudian Slip

What are you reading?
    Honky Tonk Samurai

Better Call Saul, Alien Covenant

Burial - Truant / Rough Sleeper

Omelettes, homemade chickpea crackers, roasted sea bass, beef jerky, a lot of fennel, roasted rabbit, asparagus risotto. I've been drinking IPA beer and Roiboos.

I'm staying in Italy for the summer vacations, not sure where yet

My Klean Kanteen stainless steel water bottle

Restaurant: Osteria Satyricon, Bologna
    Cafe/Bar: Wood Gastrobar, Bologna
    Last edited by giuliof; 05-24-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? Side Effect (black/UV) for EDC and Large Café Bag (gray/navy) as my farmers market/shopping bag. Since I work remotely, I don't have a need for a daily work bag. Though I recently acquired a Tri-Star (steel/Iberian) and will be trying it out soon.
    What are you reading? Work-related documents, unfortunately, and too many news articles
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? Been watching lots of YouTube stuff lately.
    What are you listening to? My summer "mix tape" - I call it "Well That's Catchy" because it's full of all those songs that are fun and sugary sweet but get stuck in your head
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Making lots of chicken-based dishes paired with produce from the farmer's market and drinking lots of local wine and beer
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? I have to go to Maryland soon for work. Other than that, lots of weekend/long weekend excursions by car.
    Bonus Question #1: What is your favorite non-TB travel item? This is a tough one, as my Side Effect is my favorite travel item. Period. However, outside of the bag, my iPod Shuffle is my next favorite item.
    Bonus Question/Imperative #2: Recommend a restaurant, cafe, or bar in your home city (or a city you know well). Having recently moved from Fort Worth, TX, to Vancouver, WA, I'm still trying to find the best places - though I do like Elmer's and who can say no to a Shari's Pie-in-a-Cup (well, Pie Shake). In Fort Worth, I highly recommend Angelo's on White Settlement Road for barbeque (take cash - no credit cards excepted). And as an out-of-the-way-but-totally-worth-it eating experience, Magic Spring Roll Thai restaurant in Watauga (at the corner of Western Center Blvd/Watauga Rd and Hwy 377/Denton Highway - if you pass the red beer barn, you've gone too far). Why yes - in Texas, there is usually more than one name for a road.
    Last edited by sujo; 05-24-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast