Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compact CPAP hose for travel

Traveling with a CPAP, one of the bulkiest parts is the hose--there are smaller, more compact CPAPs for travel but hoses have stayed bulky. I recently found one that packs down better, though. I tried it on my last trip and it was good, so I recommend it. The 6 foot Collapsible Travel CPAP Hose is basically a tube of thin plastic (like a thick Ziploc bag) with a coiled wire in it to give it some shape. For packing, it collapses down to a little smaller than a paper towel tube--in fact I put it inside a paper towel tube to give it a little extra protection in my suitcase. It fit nicely at one side of my A45, filling some space at the edge that might not have been used otherwise.

It feels a little flimsy, so I wouldn't recommend this to replace your CPAP hose for everyday use at home, but I'm happy with it for travel. I suggest taking along a small roll of tape in case you need to make any middle-of-the-night repairs. (I got that idea from a friend whose cat used to attack his CPAP hose in the middle of the night. He told me he keeps a roll of electrical tape by his bed now so if his cat punctures the hose, he can patch the hole and go back to sleep!)

If you have any favorite tips for CPAP travel, I'd be glad to hear them--please share them here.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cat had a penchant for gnawing on my tube, I use the micropore medical tape to repair

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have any favorite tips for CPAP travel, I'd be glad to hear them--please share them here.
    Which cpap do you travel with? I have the transcend. I can put t in a tb cube in the end of my NFTD.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with a DeVilbiss Intellipap, sometimes with and sometimes without the humidifier. On the one hand it's a lot smaller without the humidifier, but on the other hand I do like the humidification. I'm trying out the little heat/moisture exchange units to see if they're a reasonable compromise. Do you like your Transcend?

I'm considering the new Philips Dreamstation Go, but I'm not sure the difference in size is worth $800 for a new CPAP. (ResMed also came out with a new travel-size CPAP recently, which they claim is the world's smallest. I did the research and decided that even though the new ResMed AirMini is technically smaller, the AirMini's power brick means that the Dreamstation Go packs up smaller. Plus the AirMini is said to only work with three ResMed masks, and the Go will work with any mask.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transcend is great! I use a slim hose currently and it has an adapter so you can plug any hose into the unit.
    ResMed SlimLine CPAP Tubing 15mm x 2M (1) by Slim Line https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012ELQHJA..._ZRinzbQ361XVQ

I'm also considering testing these humidity chambers for when I travel in dry areas or winter:
    10 Pack Bundle HDM Heat/Moisture Exchanger (HME) Inline Humidification Solution Unit for CPAP Masks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3N6NX8..._.SinzbVMWX88D
    The transcend has a pretty small power plug and it comes with exchangeable plugs for various countries which will be very handy when I head to France in October. Another happy thing is that I can detatch the plug and make it pack just a little tidier n the cube.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my cpap compartment on my NFTD:

And the packing thereof:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredlet View Post
    I'm also considering testing these humidity chambers for when I travel in dry areas or winter:
    10 Pack Bundle HDM Heat/Moisture Exchanger (HME) Inline Humidification Solution Unit for CPAP Masks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3N6NX8..._.SinzbVMWX88D
    That's the same one I tried, only I got a single one to try it out with instead of the 10-pack. (I ordered it via cpap.com, but it's the same thing.) I only used it a few times before I had to throw it away. (That's one thing I don't like about them--I'd rather be able to clean it and keep using the same one.)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    (That's one thing I don't like about them--I'd rather be able to clean it and keep using the same one.)
    I agree. I don't like disposable.

Luckily I don't travel to super dry areas much. If I really need a humidifier- I'll probably need warm clothes for winter and I'll just take my regular cpap.

fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compact CPAP hose for travel-travel-cpap-1-jpgCompact CPAP hose for travel-travel-cpap-2-jpg

I travel with HDM's Z1 CPAP machine, using the 4-foot slimline hose that came with it. After lugging my home machine around for more than a year, I just love the light weight and small size of the Z1. While I do prefer the experience of using my home machine (the sound of my own breathing, to me, is quieter), the Z1 works well enough for me; I've just used it on a 3-1/2 week stint away from home.

I pack the Z1 in two parts. The machine itself goes in a neoprene pouch that I made by cutting down a wine bottle carrier. The rest of it , including my regular nasal-prong mask, goes in my black halcyon Side Effect. The photos show this arrangement.

When travelling with cabin baggage only, both the pouch and the SE go into my main bag--be it an Aeronaut 30, an Aeronaut 45 or a Smart Alec--with the pouch tucked inside a packing cube of clothing, or between two of them, for extra protection. If I check a bag, the SE goes into it but the pouch rides in the Large Cafe Bag that I carry as my personal item.

I bring along the various straps for the SE, and use it at my destination as my alternative EDC.
    Last edited by Kaz; 06-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Kaz, that's a very pretty pouch! I like the idea of using a Side Effect to hold the rest.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Compact CPAP hose for travel-travel-cpap-1-jpgCompact CPAP hose for travel-travel-cpap-2-jpg

I pack the Z1 in two parts. The machine itself goes in a neoprene pouch that I made by cutting down a wine bottle carrier. The rest of it , including my regular nasal-prong mask, goes in my black halcyon Side Effect. The photos show this arrangement.
    Oh I have a bunch of that pattern from BuiltNY. I love that stuff! Also I use one of their lunch boxes with the shoulder strap to carry my cpap setup when I need it separate from my other gear.

fredletsTravels.com

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a complete novice to the idea of travel CPAPs as I just got a Dreamstation last year. Are these something covered by insurance? Or is it something you buy separately? I'm wondering where you would get them and what the sticker price of them is. I would LOVE to be able to have one for travel because at this point I'm either hauling the whole kit and kaboodle, or I'm choosing to leave it at home and do without it. Neither options are particularly appealing.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically, insurance will not cover a travel/second CPAP unit. I just got myself a Transcend MiniCPAP on cpap.com for about $450 (plus a couple of extras). I travel enough throughout the year, by air and car, and have lugged my home unit (a ResMed AirSense 10, which I love) around for almost a year. This makes it difficult to fly carry-on only, so when my tax refund came this year, it's the one thing I purchased (ah, how priorities change as we age!). I've used it 4 times now, for a total of 3.5 weeks of use. It's a bit louder and doesn't have a humidifier, neither of which has prevented me from sleeping. I really have enjoyed being able to tuck it into the end pocket of my NFTD, just as @fredlet has shown above. I've also used two stuff sacks and put it in my Smart Alec, and also have used the travel case it comes in inside my A45 (on last month's trip to Florida where I did;t need heavy clothes).

If you travel frequently and can afford it and hate to check a bag, then I'd say it's worth it.
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    If you travel frequently and can afford it and hate to check a bag, then I'd say it's worth it.
    Typically, necessary medical equipment is not "counted against you" for your carry-on limits. In the US, it's against the ADA to do otherwise. We've had no problems with carrying a "normal", humidifying CPAP in its case in addition to the usual allotment permitted. Carrying a copy of your doctor's letter of necessity can help clear things up should any questions arise.

Ah -- here's some support for that -- TSA Rules About CPAP Machines | USA Today
    Last edited by jeff; 06-18-2017 at 01:07 AM.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Typically, necessary medical equipment is not "counted against you" for your carry-on limits. In the US, it's against the ADA to do otherwise. We've had no problems with carrying a "normal", humidifying CPAP in its case in addition to the usual allotment permitted. Carrying a copy of your doctor's letter of necessity can help clear things up should any questions arise.

Ah -- here's some support for that -- TSA Rules About CPAP Machines | USA Today
    Yes, excellent point that I forgot to mention. That's certainly an option, but I often like to limit the number of bags to two (just my personal preference). I did carry my home unit that way the first time I traveled, and had to work hard convince the TSA agent I was allowed to have it as a 3rd bag (my other 2 bags were the A45 and a MCB). Luckily, I had printed out the actual regulation and had my prescription too.
    Eat well, travel often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast