Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best leak-proof water bottle for travel

Ahhh I am searching for the holy grail: I want a smaller (24 ounces or less) leak-proof, lightweight water bottle for travel that is actually a bottle (I've done the platypus bags-- they are great but sometimes you just need a bottle) that will fit in one of the smaller bags like the pilot or makers bag, or in a large handbag. And one that is an actual bottle you drink from-- I'm not a fan of the camelbacks or the bottles with straws.
    I have a stainless steel bottle I love that I carry every day, but frankly, it's heavy. And I find a lot of bottles to be huge, and I'll be traveling a lot soon and teaching at a summer program in Chicago and I really just want a nice bottle, a bit insulated, and one that's on the not huge size that is leak proof.
    Ideas? Suggestions? I know that the Bihnites know all.....

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm after something low profile as well that will fit into slim bags, so I've been looking at the Memobottles. https://www.memobottle.com.au/ They seem fairly compact, though expensive. Can't attest to how leak-proof they are though as I don't have one. Anyone used these?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @atarango1,

The very best thermoses that I've used that are leak-proof, small, and lightweight are the ones that Zojurushi makes. They typically have smaller diameters (you could fit one into a Small Cafe Bag; in the Maker's bag, you can easily fit one into the pockets instead of the end water bottle holders, if you don't want to impede fitting in a laptop. And they have some of the best insulation for keeping contents hot or cold. Older models also work well. I'd typically use one of their 20-oz bottles. I'd choose other options if I wanted to maximize the amount of water I was carrying.

There are a lot of other forum members who like the Zojurushis, so maybe this will just help get the discussion started.

HTH

moriond

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done well with the Zojirushi bottle. At least, I did until my kids lost it...

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently switched to a Contigo Autoseal bottle after using a Hydroflask for a while. The Hydroflask was only leakproof when closed, I like that the Contigo is ALWAYS leakproof unless you are actively pushing the button to drink. The button-pushing does take a bit to get used to, but I'd already learned it from using their travel mugs for tea so it was an easy switch for me. I ordered my set from Amazon, but I saw the 24-ounce versions in-store at Kohl's and Target over the past couple weeks.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I third the Zojirushi bottles. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It fits perfectly in the Copilot and Pilot bottle pocket.

I love this one too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HYAKOGO...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Both of those are lightweight.

Mr. pammy likes Hydroflasks and Klean Kanteen bottles, but the Hydroflasks are too heavy for me, although they do keep drinks cold.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fourth Zojirushi. 16 or 12 oz. ones are very light and I trust them not to leak.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I love using Zojirushi thermoses when I want to pack iced or hot drinks, and they're slim enough to fit in a lot of bags. I find them a little heavy relative to their size, so I don't generally use them for non-iced water. Mine are pretty old though and I vaguely remember reading something about a lighter updated design.

Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sixth Zojirushi!! I bought mine (12 oz & 16 oz) on Amazon. I was really surprised at how slim they were bc I'm used to Tervis Tumblers and the big Yeti type bottles. I use the 16 oz for my coffee, which stays HOT for HOURS and the 12 oz holds ice for atleast 24 hours. They absolutely do not leak and the lid locks if you want it to. The lid completely (& easily) disassembles so you can clean it...no gunky sludgy moldy slime buildup! The 16 oz completely disappears into my Co-Pilot's water bottle pocket. It fits perfectly and you literally cannot tell that the bottle is inside when you look at the bag. It fascinates me! I love Zojirushi's and intend to order another 16 oz for a water bottle.
    Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Forum Member
    Chicago, IL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a 16 oz Zojirushi that I got after getting recommendations from forum members. I love it. It truly does hold its temperature better than anything else I've had, does not leak, is lightweight, and I love the locking lid so that when I throw it in my shop bag I can be certain it won't pop open on accident. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the Teflon-like coating on the inside. I wish I knew exactly what it was because I don't want random chemicals leaching into my drink. I've heard older versions didn't have it, but I'm not sure if they are still available.

Forum Member
    Hawaii
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had two Zojirushi for a while now. I find the best feature to be how the lid disassembles for easy cleaning. Mine are 16oz and I prefer carrying and drinking out of that more than a bigger hydro flask. The lid has a button that makes it flip open so it is easy to use one handed which comes in handy while driving.

Yes, the older ones have a stainless steel finish while the newer ones have a nonstick surface. I'm not good at adding a link, but the older ones are available on Amazon. The model number is SM-KHE48 and I believe the newer ones are SM-SA... I only put water and coffee in mine, but I've read that the stainless steel finish is preferable if you plan on carrying soup or stuff like that. Hope this helps.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. I just bought a 16 oz Zo on amazon. I knew the forums would come through!

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note: The metal bottles are great, but be aware that a number of places with security checks won't let you in with them. Most football coliseums, and many arenas prohibit carrying in metal bottles. I've seen security at the Oakland Coliseum tell a couple that they couldn't take in their sunscreen spray CAN, even.

So just be mindful that you know what the carry-in policy is in some places you go.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best leak-proof water bottle for travel

How do the Zojirushis do when dropped? Do they dent? What if I dropped it outside on asphalt or on a concrete floor (both very likely to happen, unfortunately)

Lately I use my daughter's Nalgene for kids, which is 12-14 oz. The bottle itself is unbreakable and the lid is very durable but also replaceable. It is slightly fiddly as a truly one-handed operation but that isn't a huge deal to me compared to the benefits. Also, it is cheaper.

https://www.nalgene.com/product/1263-0003/

ETA: If you poke around on the Nalgene site you can customise a cap/bottle combo so you can get the OTF cap that our bottle has, but you can fit it on a 20oz bottle (or larger I guess!). They have other drinking caps I haven't used, so I guess I know which internet rabbit hole I am going down next...
    Last edited by Cristina; 06-09-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    How do the Zojirushis do when dropped? Do they dent? What if I dropped it outside on asphalt or on a concrete floor (both very likely to happen, unfortunately)
    I have a pretty nice dent in my brushed aluminum Zojirushi tuffslim's lid from a drop. It still works just fine, but it now bears a battle scar. Smilie I have not dropped my smaller Zojirushi with the plastic lid, so I can't comment on that. By contrast, my Nalgene has been dropped on many hard surfaces and rolled down rocky slopes with only minor scuffs. But the Nalgene doesn't insulate. So it may just depend how rough you anticipate being on your bottle.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast