Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: E-MAIL

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where to start. Yes, Exchange/Office365 (which are not the same product) are perhaps the most widely deployed corporate email services, but they are far from the most secure, and they aren't standards compliant. Look at transport to the MUA (user agent) first, Microsoft uses proprietary synchronization technology instead of the proven and robust IETF standards of IMAP. Look at mail, in particular. Microsoft is not compliant with a large number of IETF standards on the both the formatting and transport of mail between MTAs (mail-transfer agents). While Microsoft may have RFCs out for some of their proprietary protocols, RFCs are just that, request for comment, not a standard. Management of calendaring and address book is just as bad, again with proprietary protocols instead of the IETF standards.

Security? Microsoft? Are you kidding? They routinely fail to patch their systems in a reasonable time after being notified (privately) about severe vulnerabilities. I'm not talking about the failure of end users to patch, but that the patches aren't even available. SMB and the entire Windows user/security model continues to be a huge hole in security, even when properly administered. Windows is such a hodge-podge of old code that nobody knows how it works any more. There is no such thing as an "independent security audit" for Windows.

I can't fault large organizations for going with Microsoft. It's too easy.

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer FastMail (and using my own domain names), but it isn't free.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My primary personal email service is Gmail. I'd been using Gmail since the rollout of Google Mail service. At that time, its search and simplicity UI loudly switched me over, and ever since, it has been a habit of using Gmail service. The experience is still good though.

However, only my mail lives on Google Ecosystem.
    I used primarily Windows-based hardware from Windows Mobile 10, Windows 10 Desktop & Laptop and even Xbox Gaming Console. I also owned Office 365 Home, allow me to access many great features such as 1TB Onedrive (Cloud Storage Service), monthly free skype 60 mins and able to share Microsoft Office include Access/Publisher with families/friends up to 5 people and up to 5 devices. Both my contact and calendar are stored with Microsoft too. The information are automatically sync across all my hardware from phone, multiple laptops and even Xbox. Except Skype, I could access my updated Contact anywhere, easily at installed Default Application called People. Offline Access is available too, though latest updated information may not there yet. Any how, I really how all these work for me. I am not entirely sure this may work for you, so I will advice that you give yourself many chance to see whether you may like it before you jump fully aboard. Nothing is 100% perfect, IMHO.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    I prefer FastMail (and using my own domain names), but it isn't free.
    As someone in the security industry, this is what I use as well.

Any important email is encrypted using GPG or S/MIME though. But Fastmail is highly configurable and well priced. And I haven't had to worry about ISP changes, and all that fun stuff for years by using a dedicated email service like Fastmail.

Worth it in my opinion.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you tech and security folks use a service like Gmail and FastMail for email, what do you use for calendars, push, contact databases, cloud storage, etc.?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    So if you tech and security folks use a service like Gmail and FastMail for email, what do you use for calendars, push, contact databases, cloud storage, etc.?
    I like Gmail for all of the above. Also I've worked at a couple of places that used Google Apps for Business, and that worked well for those companies. I don't have a "contact database" beyond my email directory and my phone contacts, though.

Edited to say: Looking back in the thread, I see I already mentioned Google Apps for Business. Sorry to repeat myself!
    Last edited by aedifica; 07-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google!

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    google!

Oh wise one, how did you score a job at Nirvana?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2