Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E-MAIL

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Dec. of 2002, up to this day, my household has been a subscriber to Verizon DSL high-speed internet via landline. Since the cost isn't that bad, this will likely continue for the foreseeable future.

Recently, there has been one fly in the ointment. Verizon's service has definitely declined. Calls to the technical support hotline are answered overseas by folks who can barely speak English and who do not always have answers to questions.

To make matters worse, Verizon suddenly, and without hardcopy warning (only a few emails that could easily be disccounted as SPAM), pulled the plug on its e-mail servers. Verizon transferred responsibility for its DSL customers' e-mail to AOL. Since Verizon allowed its residential customers to retain up to 8 distinct e-mail addresses on its servers, all eight of our household's addresses had to be manually reconfigured to work with the new AOL server system. It took hours to set up, and one address still has problems.

I wanted to ask folks here about this. I am aware of a variety of free e-mail services on the internet, such as G-mail (Google), Hotmail / Outlook (Microsoft), and Yahoo, to name a few. Since we're already paying a Verizon bill, it burns my cookies that Verizon's email service has become a pain. Here are my logical concerns about switching over to a different, non-Verizon e-mail system:

1: concern that the service be "free", without hidden costs.
    2: concern that it would work well with both Mac and Windows, especially Apple Mail.
    3: concern that it would work as either a POP or an IMAP configuration.
    4: concern that it may be necessary to configure some IMAP accounts to be inter-operable with both computer(s) and a smartphone.
    5: concern about SECURITY
    6: concern about the service's RELIABILITY (service blackouts, or e-mail accounts loosing messages)
    7: concern that the email service can be accessed via a web browser on a hotel PC while on the road
    8: concern that the email service allows a given e-mail account to be configured for basic attributes, such as automated signatures, ability to activate "out-of-office" auto-reply, etc.
    9: concern that the service makes it easy to send and receive e-mail attachments, easily upload or download said attachments, and they do not get garbled (ALSO: what size limit is on attachments)
    10: concern over whether the email service provides a desktop notification system, especially for Mac.
    11: concern that the service also offers other free services, such as calendars, contacts and Cloud-based storage and the ability to share files/folders in the "Cloud"
    12: concern that the service has a good reputation for handling SPAM, viruses, and other forms of attack/malware.

At first blush, all this seems to point to Gmail, but I wanted to get other folks' reactions to this.

Of our 8 current Verizon email addresses, 5 are used for volunteer organizations we support as official e-mail addresses, (these are small organizations that cannot afford fancy pay services) and 3 more are personal addresses used for either business and/or personal communications.

Any comments/ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and did I mention it? VERIZON SUCKS!
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gmail will do everything you mentioned except # 10, a desktop notification on Mac--but if you have it set up in Mail (or another email client), the email program can give you the notification.

I use several Gmail accounts myself, and used to support an organization that used Google Apps for Business (so everyone in the organization had a business Gmail account).

P.S. If you end up going to Gmail, when you're looking for the out of office reply settings it's called "Vacation Responder" and it's in the first Settings page, near the bottom. Gmail also has a "canned responses" feature that lets you quickly insert chunks of text you use often. I use it for replying to recruiters who contact me about jobs that aren't quite in my field. How to Use Canned Responses in Gmail (with Sample Templates)

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, aedifica. As a matter of fact, I already use a couple of Google accounts, so I'm leaning in that direction.

Does anyone here also use Outlook?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use gmail, i think it's very good.
    re security - i use 2-step verification. when logging onto a new machine, in a hotel for example, i type in my username and password, then a code is sent to my phone by SMS which i'm required to input as well before gaining access. (you can also use a smartphone app giving the same functionality)

on setup you're sent a list of 'one time codes', which i've committed a couple of to memory, should my phone be stolen/lost etc.

re reliability - it's google.
    Last edited by Mathew; 06-22-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched over to GMail in the Fall after suffering a catastrophic failure on my personal email server and have been very happy since. GMail doesn't do IMAP folders, but other than that I've found it to be very nice to use. I haven't been using Mail.app for a while now, but my Airmail handles GMail just fine, so I assume Mail.app does, too.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All hail Google and Gmail! After 10+ years of Gmail I can safely say it just gets better all the time :-)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Verizon customer (Mac products at home) and I elected to switch my email server to gmail instead of AOL when I was notified about the Verizon change. I hardly ever get spam anymore so it's been an improvement over Verizon to me and it was easy to set up. I use Outlook at work (Windows laptop) and while it's not awful, I prefer the layout of gmail.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Killeri View Post
    I switched over to GMail in the Fall after suffering a catastrophic failure on my personal email server and have been very happy since. GMail doesn't do IMAP folders, but other than that I've found it to be very nice to use. I haven't been using Mail.app for a while now, but my Airmail handles GMail just fine, so I assume Mail.app does, too.
    Killeri, Gmail does do IMAP folders! You may need to enable IMAP in Settings. After that, you can look at "Manage Labels" to choose which labels will show up as folders in your IMAP mail client.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a shared hosting account for many years, as I do not want Google to have access to all my emails. Never had any issues with the email server or my websites being down. I use pair.com and the cost is $5.95 per month, plus the annual fee for your domain registration. You can configure as many email accounts as needed. While there are many free services out there, I have noticed in the past that you end up paying in other ways, either by accepting less than stellar features and reliability, or - like in Google's case - you pay by allowing them to use your data.

Not saying that Google is a bad option, it is just all about which compromises you are willing to make. Smilie
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use gmail for a couple of accounts. I use outlook.com ( not the program/app) and it works well most of the time. It will occasionally get hung up in The ios mail app on my iPad and an individual email will not and cannot be deleted unless I delete and reestablish the account in Mail - a bit of a pain. (I keep it since the hotmail.com was my very first email address and I have a soft spot for it.). If you are looking for secure mail, ProtonMail is the way to go- they have a free tier but the paid level is better.)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Outlook at my place of work, and I find it much more frustrating to use than gmail. Gmail allows you to search more easily, it has better organizational options, and the app is useful/fairly intuitive on a phone. I don't feel that Outlook does any of that very well.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am indeed leaning toward Google, but...

I am considering eventually getting Microsoft Office 365 (the $99-per-year version), which would give me access to Outlook premium, Skype, and OneDrive (1 TB cloud storage), and allow me to install a copy of Office-for-MacOS X and, if I choose to also install Windows 10 on my Mac, I can also install Office for Windows (giving me access to Microsoft Access and Publisher). This would also open up possibilities of collaborating with others using OneDrive and SharePoint. This is why I inquired about Outlook.

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft Outlook/Exchange/Office365 isn't standards compliant. Its also the most virus ridden. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo and Yahoo Mail are now owned by Verizon.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Dallas, Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Microsoft Outlook/Exchange/Office365 isn't standards compliant. Its also the most virus ridden. I'd avoid it like the plague.
    Can you explain what you mean by this? I have found Exchange to be the quickest and most reliable email service I have ever used, and the best enterprise level option out there. We switched our company to Exchange a couple of years ago on the advice of our IT people. It is safe, very secure, fast and reliable in our experience. Compared to my own privately hosted email on Midphase and my assorted gmail accounts, Exchange wins hands down for speed and uptime and lack of spam.

I have been really happy with our Office365 service as well. I have migrated many of our shared folders from google drive to Onedrive, which is very slick and gives you the advantage of using full versions of Office apps online or via the desktop. I still use google drive for some things, and I like it a lot too, but Excel beats google sheets hands down.

It is also very easy to set up Exchange mail on iOS or Mac, so that you can use Apple mail with it. Also, you can connect the iOS or Mac calendar to Exchange with no problem.

I agree that Outlook, as an email client, is not my favorite. I find gmail so much faster to search. I use Outlook for my work account though, as it has integration with exchange calendar and is easier to use between people in the same organization (easy to set up meetings, etc).

But I still use Gmail with other accounts. I realize they are mining all my data and that I should be more disturbed by this, and by the their uncanny ability to see inside my head, but it sure is fast and convenient. I can find any email instantly from 10 years ago! Searching for something from last week in Outlook can take me 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast