Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emirates - How Strict are they on weight and size limits for Carryon?

I'm headed on a safari and will be checking a duffel bag--no problem there. My weight limits are tougher for the safari than for Emirates. Carryon is the issue. They allow ONE Carryon bag, no personal item in Economy. It can weigh up to 7 kg or 15 lbs. The size is 22 x 15 x 8. I have a duffel that is 21 x 10.5 x 9 -- smaller in all but one dimension. So, does anyone know how strict Emirates is? Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kathy,

Duffels are generally pliable enough that it should be able to adjust to their sizing requirements.

I flew Emirates once, more than likely with the Aeronaut 45, and I don't recall any issues.
    -m

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Maverick. The Aeronaut 45 is larger in that same one dimension as well! (Did they weigh your Aeronaut?) Another idea I had was to use my backpack and put it into a large shop bag or other bag I have. That would let me slip a side effect, book and other little things (weight permitting) in the shop bag and still have just one carryon. Has anyone ever tried that? I could take the backpack out and put it in the overhead bin when I got to my seat and put my safari hat in the shop bag with the side effect and put those under the seat. (Or hang the side kick from the tray table....). Do you think that would work? I would technically walk onto the plane with one bag that contained 2 or more bags--but still just 15 lbs. (That's hard for me as I don't trust the airlines with my checked bags and I'm not a minimalist packer!)

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that if you approach a check in counter with a bag on your back -- whether it's the Aeronaut, the Tri-Star or the Western Flyer -- that they are far less likely to ask to weigh it than if you approach with a wheeled roll-aboard.

I have also found that when a flight is full, and there is concern about the space in the overhead bins, that gate agents may walk around the boarding area and weigh and ask for roll-aboard suitcases to be gate chceked -- whereas, if you just have a backpack on your back, they won't approach you.

I think I have only been asked to weigh the Aeronaut once at the check-in counter. And I recall a Northwest/KLM gate agent sizing my Aeronaut as I went to board -- it fit! Big Grin

The only time I was forced to gate check my Aeronaut at Security was in Doha, because the security officer didn't like me (long story). He cleared my bag, but when I went to grab it, and he realized that it was mine, all of the sudden, it had to be checked.
    -m

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Softsided bags are so flexible that the given measurements are just guidelines. If you underpack them, they will measure less in the airline sizer. If you overstuff them, they could measure MORE than the actual dimensions because they'll get rounder and then they won't fit in the airline sizer.

Forum Member
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've flown Emirates a handful of times. There was one time, out of Sydney, Australia, where they had someone walk around the boarding gate with a hand scale to weight carry-ons. Other than that, haven't had any hassle. My wife managed to stuff 15 Kg (yes, Kilograms, not pounds) in her Co-Pilot and nobody batted an eye Smilie
    Too many bags to list, but most often used are: Cadet, Ristretto, Aeronaut 45 and Citizen Canine (1st generation)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I have found that if you approach a check in counter with a bag on your back -- whether it's the Aeronaut, the Tri-Star or the Western Flyer -- that they are far less likely to ask to weigh it than if you approach with a wheeled roll-aboard.

I have also found that when a flight is full, and there is concern about the space in the overhead bins, that gate agents may walk around the boarding area and weigh and ask for roll-aboard suitcases to be gate chceked -- whereas, if you just have a backpack on your back, they won't approach you.

I think I have only been asked to weigh the Aeronaut once at the check-in counter. And I recall a Northwest/KLM gate agent sizing my Aeronaut as I went to board -- it fit! Big Grin

The only time I was forced to gate check my Aeronaut at Security was in Doha, because the security officer didn't like me (long story). He cleared my bag, but when I went to grab it, and he realized that it was mine, all of the sudden, it had to be checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk