Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Apple Air Pods

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing it back to Tom Bihn I have a mini OP attached to my key strap and keep the case in the pouch.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love mine, had them about 8 months. The shape of your ear will really define satisfaction; If the Earpods fit well, Airpods should too. I can run and bike with them and they have never fallen out (I worry more about the rounded case falling out of my pocket).

Pretty hard to beat the low profile, itty-bitty case, battery life, and functionality.

I usually don't use them on the plane in favor of noise isolating earbuds; music volume is fine on the plane, but some of the movie dialog is hard to hear even cranked up. I did get some other brand's isolating eargels that fit over them that can help, but usually don't bother with it as I'm pretty tied down anyway even without wires.

I did have one intermittently fail, and Apple replaced it. Working fine now.

Forum Member
    Greater Boston
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a pair and also love them. Amazingly easy to pair and everything seems like magic (e.g., automatically switching mics when you switch between pods). The sound doesn't compare to my over the ear or in ear wired cans, but it is quite good. No one has complained about my during calls, so I assume the mics are OK. I've worn them while walking on a treadmill and they fit pretty securely (as others have said, it depends on the shape of your ears).

I carry them, along with an iPhone charger and cable, car charger, and TB cleaning cloth, in a mini kit.
    Owner of Burnt Orange/Steel Daylight Briefcase , Burnt Orange/Steel Aeronaut 45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot, Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Nordic/Ultraviolet, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, and various packing cubes, organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BagHabit View Post
    btw. for those who have had issues with them staying in your ears, they sell silicon ear "hooks" that work remarkable well. Smilie
    Are you thinking of silicon airpod covers like these?

I'm one of the people who hasn't had a successful relationship with Apple's wired earpods. Does it seem reasonable that getting a silicon cover kit and trying it on an old set of earpods will tell me what i need to know about whether the airpods will work for my ear shape, and are therefore worth buying?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my AirPods last December and use them everyday and also for travel, they are perfect. On longer flights I will also take my on ear headphones as they block out noise better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JonC have you ever had an issue using Bluetooth on a flight? I find EasyJet’s rules quite confusing; in one sentence they say that Bluetooth headphones are OK, then a little while later they say electronic devices are only allowed if they’re in Flight Mode. I even tried Tweeting EasyJet for clarification but got no reply Apple Air Pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    @JonC have you ever had an issue using Bluetooth on a flight? I find EasyJet’s rules quite confusing; in one sentence they say that Bluetooth headphones are OK, then a little while later they say electronic devices are only allowed if they’re in Flight Mode. I even tried Tweeting EasyJet for clarification but got no reply Apple Air Pods

Different airlines might have different rules, but it’s always best to check with the airline. I haven’t flown with EasyJet in a few years, so I am not certain what rules they have for this.

Here is a link from the Mac Observer and what the FAA say:

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/qui...pods-airplane/

Hope this is of some help, but I would definitely double check with EasyJet and maybe also bring a wired pair just in case.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link, very interesting. I always carry some wired earbuds for use on flights (although, they’re not much use if you drop the Lightning adaptor out of reach at the beginning of the flight Apple Air Pods). I’m actually flying tomorrow, I’ll try and remember to ask one of the flight crew. Hopefully they will be more helpful than the Twitter lot.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you can put your phone in flight mode, and then turn wifi and/or Bluetooth back on. It is still in flight mode; ie, no cellular radio. I always assume that's what's meant, since airlines often offer wifi.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Also, you can put your phone in flight mode, and then turn wifi and/or Bluetooth back on. It is still in flight mode; ie, no cellular radio. I always assume that's what's meant, since airlines often offer wifi.
    Yeah, this.

Although airlines do shut off wifi for take off and landing, I always just hit flight-mode and then re-enable bluetooth.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always assumed that flight mode turned off Bluetooth for a reason, and my research, specifically on Bluetooth headphones, turned up conflicting info, like:

So, hopefully, the flight crew later today will be able to enlighten me on EasyJet’s specific policy.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did more googling and Easyjet has told customers explicitly that BT is alowed. Just not during takeoff and landing.

Some devices may be used for boarding and inflight (provided they are in “flight safe” mode), but not during taxi, take-off and landing - at which point they must be safely stowed away in the overhead locker. These are:
    Laptops
    Ultra books
    Notebooks
    DVD players
    Large electronic games
    Large Music players
    All Bluetooth accessories (wireless keyboard, headphones etc.)
    Though even those instructions are oddlly written -- I'm pretty sure all the Easyjet customers don't put their headphones in the overhead. Smilie
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    I think those are more for the falling-out issue some people have experienced; I ended up modifying some gels from a JVC earbud as an experiment. They were larger and had a more traditional isolating tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    Does it seem reasonable that getting a silicon cover kit and trying it on an old set of earpods will tell me what i need to know about whether the airpods will work for my ear shape, and are therefore worth buying?
    Probably not; the only perceivable difference between them is that the AirPods have a thicker stem that hangs out of the ear, and the speaker is only marginally fatter. If that is your complaint about EarPods, then maybe it is worth a try.

Most people seem to have an issue if the tragus of the ear is small, or if the depth of the slot between it and the antitragus is not deep, the buds have a tendency to fall out (this is the same issue EarPods have, so if they fall out, the AirPods likely will too). In my experience the AirPods work better for running than EarPods, as the weight of the cord bouncing up and down pulls the buds out more, and the wider stem of the AirPods fits more snugly in the tragus "slot".

In the end, I bought them because it was a no-lose proposition; if I didn't want them, someone in this world would have been willing to buy them from me, and possibly at a profit.

Forum Member
    NJ, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For people who love them, did the wired apple headphones fit you? They've never fit me, so I'm thinking these won't either.

I have a pair of bluetooth (but with a wire) headphones, and i won't go back to fully wired. But going completely wireless seems truly the way to go (assuming they fit).

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carl0 View Post
    For people who love them, did the wired apple headphones fit you?
    The Air Pods (Bluetooth) are the same size and shape as the Ear Pods (wired) so they won’t fit any differently, or be more comfortable. However, there are no cords to get tugged on, so they may stay in your ears better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast