Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumb drive, disk images and installers

How do I take a pre-formatted software installer thumb drive and make a disk image for storage on a backup external hard disk?

I just bought a mail-order USB 3.0 thumb drive (all the thumbs for sale around here were USB 2.0) that I intend to use for bootable software installations. One of my first projects will be to use the USB 3 thumb to clean-install MacOS Sierra. I am following instructions from this MacWorld magazine article.

I want to be able to erase the USB 3 thumb and re-use it for other installation purposes. If I want to clean-install Sierra on another Mac in the future (a family member's MacBook), I have to keep the installer disk image in safekeeping on an external hard drive so I can retrieve it later. So I have to find out how to make a disk image of the installer that is now on the USB 3 thumb for safekeeping now, and to be able to retrieve it and reformat the thumb at a later date.

Any suggestions on how to do this are welcome.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am confused,the article that you link to suggests exactly how to do this?

I would download one of the 2 utilities that it suggests and follow the instructions.
    Is this really what you are asking though?

I keep a bootable clone copy of my working Mac drive and I make a new one every day to keep it current so if anything happens I can just boot from the Clone and only lose what is newer than the copy.

The most common utility for this is probably Carbon Copy Cloner or CCC which is handy and easy to setup recurring backups too!
    You will need a drive the same size as your Mac drive too but these are cheap and plentiful these days anyway.

This is the safest and handiest way that I know of to make sure you have current Data backups and will not lose time or much effort if your drive goes South which it most certainly will at the time that you can least live with too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    How do I take a pre-formatted software installer thumb drive and make a disk image for storage on a backup external hard disk?
    Have you tried just making a DMG using disk utility? The section "Create a disk image from a disk or connected device" is probably the one that applies to what you're describing.

I used to regularly use this method to clone disks when I didn't have access to my normal drive cloning tools, but it's been a while since I used it to image a flash drive (don't really do full drive archives like this anymore), so I can't unequivocally say that I know it will replicate your flash drive. It's an easy way to archive the content, without needing command lines or 3rd party software. It would be quick enough to test you can make a DMG of the bootable flash drive, erase it and restore.

If you have a newer mac (most devices that did not ship with restore discs), you do not even need an external drive to reinstall or attempt to repair things - you can boot to Apple's recovery via the internet even when you don't have a working drive. This is called internet recovery. (Apple has a less helpful article describing the feature.)

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Using internet recovery takes hours to perform for a modern iMac. I did it once before for another late-model machine. Doing so results in MacOS 10.9 or 10.10 being re-installed. My objective here is to migrate to MacOS 10.12 Sierra.

I came up with an idea that might help.

I understand that Disk Utility offers a feature wherein you can create partitions on a drive. Can I use this to create multiple partitions on this new USB 3.0 thumb drive? Then I could have a partition for the MacOS 10.12 Sierra installer, and, if necessary, separate partitions for installing Windows 10 (through Boot Camp) and Office 365.

If this is possible, how do I do this? The thumb drive is already set up with a single partition for the Sierra installer.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Using internet recovery takes hours to perform for a modern iMac. I did it once before for another late-model machine. Doing so results in MacOS 10.9 or 10.10 being re-installed. My objective here is to migrate to MacOS 10.12 Sierra.
    Yes - internet recovery does restore what shipped from the factory; you can still reinstall Sierra or whatever via your purchases. I agree that this is slower, but brought it up only because people are often unaware, and you can do this whether you have an external drive or not. An extra tool in the arsenal, if nothing more.

I understand that Disk Utility offers a feature wherein you can create partitions on a drive. Can I use this to create multiple partitions on this new USB 3.0 thumb drive? Then I could have a partition for the MacOS 10.12 Sierra installer, and, if necessary, separate partitions for installing Windows 10 (through Boot Camp) and Office 365.

If this is possible, how do I do this? The thumb drive is already set up with a single partition for the Sierra installer.
    You can indeed partition flash drives, but sometimes there are specific technical issues that crop up or prevent you from using the GUI to accomplish them. Check out this article. This method works very well either other, more traditional externals without any special workarounds, but they don't have the same technical limitations as flash thumb drives. The article addresses some of the problems and provides potential solutions for flash drives.