Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recommendations for portable chargers and solar-battery chargers

Questions for those who use Anker, I have an iPhone 7 and a (British) portable wifi, would the Anker PowerCore 20100 be sufficient for charging both?

Also, any recommendations for a small solar charger battery? I have a solar charger (with an internal battery), but not sure it's up to the task for the iPhone 7, as I purchased it when I had an iPhone 5. My current solar charger is about the same size and a little thicker than the iPhone 7; so something about that size is ideal. I saw Anker's enormous solar charger, I suspect that might be overkill, it's certainly too large, and looks fragile.

Current solar charger/battery: No idea of its brand, I bought it at Halford's. Input: 5v 1A Output: 5v 2 x 1A Capacity 5000mAh it says on the back. It helped my friend at Pride to keep their phone going, but it wasn't an iPhone.
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Forum Member
    Somerset, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnily enough I was checking the details of the Anker I have earlier today as a friend at work wants to get something similar (and to see if it would fit in a cubelet!)

I have the PowerCore 20100, and it has always been fine for me - charging my iPhone 6 and iPad air. I'm not sure how much power your portable wifi would need but the details from the Amazon page regarding its charging capabilities are:
    Enough power to keep you going for days. Charge an iPhone 7 almost seven times, a Galaxy S6 five times or an iPad mini twice.
    Not sure if that helps you or not, but I would definitely recommend their products.
    Last edited by katt94; 07-30-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @khsni

I'm not sure exactly what size unit you're looking for and for what type of enviroment (hiking/backpacking or urban travel), but I have a portable dual folding solar panel (i charge a battery pack with and charge my phone with the battery pack). Anker makes one too but the specs were better on mind at the time of purchase. And I have an older large all in one Joos Orange waterproof solar battery charger. Large and heavy but does the job.

I personally like the individual lightweight panels as they usually push out more juice and isn't as heavy.

For other folks interested in an overview of all the different types of portable solar panels available, below is a good youtube video describing them. It should be helpful for most.

I traveled in my RV for 10 years around the usa and about the last 4 years I lived off the grid using solar panels. I can say one thing the brand has nothing to do with performance and it's the "type" of solar cells used in the process and the estimated power loss. I keep my RV in storage while I travel around the world but it's good to know I always have free electric no matter whatrecommendations for portable chargers and solar-battery chargers

Hope this video can helps someone:

https://youtu.be/MgRloFSeWoE

*it's a few years old but the the technical information is still pretty current even though many of the units have newer versions now

Good luck!
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoobdo View Post
    *it's a few years old but the the technical information is still pretty current even though many of the units have newer versions now
    Thanks for those links - I wasn't previously familiar with the gentleman doing the comparisons. Good way to get up to speed quickly about what to look for.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Powercore II 20k which works great. It slightly larger than the powercore 20100 but has 3 output ports (3a ea, 6a total vs 2.4a ea. 4.8s total) and more importantly 2 input ports so it can be charged twice as fast. Its $2 more than the earlier model last time I checked Amazon US.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...r+powercore+II

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I used the Anker 20100 to keep an iPhone 6s+ and a pocket wifi device charged in South Korea and Japan. Also had an iPad plugged in at times. Never had any issues running out of juice.

England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoobdo View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what size unit you're looking for and for what type of enviroment (hiking/backpacking or urban travel), but I have a portable dual folding solar panel (i charge a battery pack with and charge my phone with the battery pack). Anker makes one too but the specs were better on mind at the time of purchase. And I have an older large all in one Joos Orange waterproof solar battery charger. Large and heavy but does the job.
    Mostly urban travel; for festivals or when in the city for the day. The solar panels (without batteries) seemed like an idea for when we're at a party in someone's garden; or if we're performing, but have a tent to prepare and/or take a rest between sets, and everyone wants to be on their phones, but there isn't any electricity easily available.

Thank you for the link to the videos Smilie Over my head, for the most part, but some of it made sense.

Also, I settled on the Anker Powercore 20100 with two USB ports; I usually only need to charge my phone and the wifi unit, so I think this will be sufficient for my purposes.
    Last edited by Kshni; 07-31-2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: had something to add
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.