Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will cache/rails system still be useful?

I'm curious ... Given the new TSA screening procedure(s) coming online requiring electronics larger than a cell phone in separate bins, will there be any "TSA friendly" options? Will the cache need to be placed in a separate bin rather than stay on the rails? Will bags that clamshell open with a laptop in one side still be useable?

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I'm curious ... Given the new TSA screening procedure(s) coming online requiring electronics larger than a cell phone in separate bins, will there be any "TSA friendly" options? Will the cache need to be placed in a separate bin rather than stay on the rails? Will bags that clamshell open with a laptop in one side still be useable?
    Good question. But, does this apply to TSA Pre-check customers too departing a USA airport? I haven't checked the new regs yet. I know flying back into the USA everything is checked in departure airports in separate bins including shoes. At least for me that's how it has been.

I think it's just a matter of time before all electronics will be banned from carryon. I fear that day may come sooner than later.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding for non-TSA Pre customers:

1. TSA will always tell you to remove laptops even if you have a TSA friendly bag; its too complicated to tell the masses otherwise. If you have a TSA compliant bag, nothing really changes from the aspect of a laptop being slide or otherwise removed from a bag. I should note the requirement for a TSA bag is nothing (tablet, notebook, etc) can be in the cache/sleeve/flap/etc that holds the laptop. The scanner needs to see it clearly with no obstructions. I used to use a Timbuk2 Command Messenger which you unzipped to fold the laptop section out. No one ever complained when I did that except when I left either a notebook or tablet in the embedded sleeve in that section.

2. Tablets/kindles/etc were allowed to stay in the main bag without being removed previously; this is what is changing. They now need to be removed and place in a bin or accessible via a TSA friendly bag no different than a laptop. I don't own a tablet cache but I assume they have rails on them.

3. The rub here is if you travel with a laptop and tablet/kindle, who makes a bag that is TSA friendly for a combined laptop and tablet? I'm not aware of any such bags. Remember the scanner needs an un-obstructed view of each device separately so you can't stack the cache's on top of each other when you slide them out. Assuming you could somehow daisy chain them, that doesn't seem very convenient or safe. It possible that someone makes or could make something like a tri-fold garment bag that can unroll so the laptop, tablet and gear stuff is separate but that seems unlikely and not very convenient anyways. A Synapse has options for 2 cache's to be installed but you can't slide them out sufficiently to meet the TSA guidelines.

For TSA Pre of which I am:

1. I don't know why this would change from the current process. If you are Pre, you are not removing anything anyways so why would they let you leave a laptop but then remove a tablet.

Please take this advice with a grain of salt as I don't work for the TSA and have no special insight into how they will apply this change. I travel frequently in airports with TSA Pre and have had no issues at any airport I travel through including when there isn't a TSA Pre lane or when the $&#&@! shut it down early. I also rarely travel with a tablet or similar device. Regardless of what the TSA officially says, at the end of the day its up to the individual agent to determine what is necessary or appropriate. Arguing that your TSA compliant bags means you don't have to remove something typically won't help you very much.
    Last edited by hachkc; 08-07-2017 at 01:03 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our understanding after reading the TSA press release is that what's changing, as hachkc noted, is that you now need to remove tablets/kindles from your bag when that previously wasn't the case.

The policy regarding laptops remains the same and that means the Cache and rails system are still "checkpoint-friendly". My own most recent security checkpoint experience was this: at one airport, when I removed my Cache (still attached to the rails) from my Synapse and put it on the conveyer, a TSA employee draped the Cache over/into a bin. At another airport, they didn't do that, instead letting the Cache (still connected to the Synapse via the rails system) go through the x-ray machine.

This kind of inconsistency has been the rule, it seems, since the beginning of the checkpoint-friendly laptop rules. While the grand majority of folks over the years have been able to go through the security line with their laptops in the Cache without issue, there's been instances here or there in which a particular TSA employee has asked folks to remove their laptop from the Cache. My guess is that will continue to be the case.

For people who carry both a laptop and a tablet: hachkc is also correct that, even with bags with two sets of rail loops like the Synapse, you'll need to remove one of the devices from the bag completely and it it on the belt or in a bin separately (the other device can remain attached via the rails system). Putting two devices on top of each other is not compliant with TSA rules.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I guess time and experience may clarify the issue.....assuming some sort of consistency from our friends at TSA.

RE: Pre-check - as I understand it, nothing changes. Of course TSA can always require that electronics removed from your bag, Pre-check or not. In my experience this has rarely happened. YMMV!!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving an old thread... I was just wondering what kind of experiences TB aficionados have more recently had with caches and removing laptops, on both domestic and international flights?
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only used the cache a handful of times at airports that do not have dedicated TSA-precheck lanes, but have had no issue doing so. I mostly purged my travel of all but the one Surface tablet though. I still see other people using TSA-friendly briefcases with cache-like systems.

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I traveled through Narita and Changi airports a year ago I had to take my Surface out of its cache. (I seem to recall that in Narita I also had to unhook my clear 3DOC with liquids and place it in a bin instead of letting it go through attached via o-ring). Haven't had a problem with using the cache for US domestic flights.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Reviving an old thread... I was just wondering what kind of experiences TB aficionados have more recently had with caches and removing laptops, on both domestic and international flights?
    In Europe, Canada and Nigeria (the places I've traveled in the last few years), I'm pretty sure I've had to remove my laptop completely from any case or sleeve. In fact, even my Kindle had to come out, though my phone was usually ok to stay in the bag. In the U.S., I don't generally fly with a laptop, so I haven't been paying too much attention; I believe it is different depending on whether you are in a regular or pre-check line. I'd say the cache doesn't hurt, as it protects your laptop from getting accidentally banged around, so it's a good thing to have. Just be prepared for the possibility that you may have to remove the computer and place it in a bin.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the airport and the threat level at a particular airport. The rules about "checkpoint friendly" hasn't changed but airports have always been able to say "please take it out".

In some areas it also depends on how bored the screeners are. I recently was at an unnamed airport where the screeners decided to pat down every passenger after they went through the detector without issue. Once the checkpoint got a bit busier they dispensed with that. The first group was "take out all electronics and place each one in a separate bin. Place all food items (candy bars etc.) into a separate bin". When it got busier (not busy - it was a single gate with 45 passengers on the plane), it was "please take all laptops out of your bags"
    When in trouble, obfuscate.