Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Kindle

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kindle

What does anyone use to search on line when travelling?.
    My phone is too small to be able to search when Im abroad, I use an iPad mini 9.7 size at home, but Im not wishing to take that when Im away from home.
    So, looking for a cheaper version just to access/search the internet when Im travelling/holiday.
    Which is why Im thinking of a kindle but Im wondering what other people use and why.
    Also, which version of a kindle (I know nothing about them), and are they easy to set up, or are google etc
    Already loaded?
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kindle Fire (7" tablet) that I picked up for $29 during last year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. This way I don't fret if something happens to it. The Fire uses a subset of the Android operating system. I say subset, as I can't get all the apps for the Kindle that I had with my Nexus 7 which was also Android. It comes with the usual types of apps on it: a browser, mail, weather etc. You can add more apps through the app store application that is built in. I added Facebook and Pinterest.

Works very easily right out of the box and walks you through the set up.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can "reroute" the kindle to be an android device and get other apps. Just do an online search and it's fast and easy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Northwest Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    What does anyone use to search on line when travelling?
    I travel with a larger phone and sometimes a laptop. The phone works great for most of my casual internet use because it fits in my pocket and I can use it almost anywhere without worrying about whether wifi is available. But since you say that yours isn't suitable...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    I use an iPad mini 9.7 size at home, but Im not wishing to take that when Im away from home. So, looking for a cheaper version just to access/search the internet when Im travelling/holiday. Which is why Im thinking of a kindle but Im wondering what other people use and why. Also, which version of a kindle (I know nothing about them), and are they easy to set up, or are google etc Already loaded?
    One of issues is how you're going to connect to the internet. I don't mean what device are you going to use, but what service: are you going to connect using a cellular network (like a cell phone uses and some tables are capable of), or are you going to rely on wifi? Cellular has advantages, especially in places where free wifi networks are hard to find. But cellular is also more expensive: you need a cellular plan (or you need to pay to add your tablet to your current cell plan), you need to buy a more expensive tablet that is capable of cellular, and you may need to pay for whatever data you actually use (depending on your plan). Wifi is great if you only want to access the internet where wifi is available (which may be extensive, or it may be sparse, depending on where you travel).

Your least expensive, most painless option would probably be to reconsider taking your iPad mini. You wouldn't have any additional expense, and you wouldn't need to worry about setting it up. I don't know if yours is equipped for cellular, but if it is, all the better. And you're already comfortable using it.

The least expensive Kindle option is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J90O0N4/ . It's only 34.99, and Amazon pretty much packs them with all the basics right out of the box. It won't be quite as intuitive as using an Apple product for you, but in the Android world, I think it's a pretty good option for someone who is concerned with set up. Obviously, for 34.99, it's not a high-end tablet, but it'll get the job done what it sounds like you're looking for. There are two main negatives I see, though: (1) It doesn't do cellular, so you're tied to wifi. (2) Coming from an iPad, you probably won't love the Kindle Fire interface. It's not difficult (some would even say it's too simple, but they say that about Apple, too), but it's different.

My personal bias (and a more expensive option) would be to upgrade your phone to a larger model. The phone I use has a 5.7" (about 14.5 cm) screen. That way I have a phone, internet access, and a host of other functionality all in one small package, and with only only one data plan.
    Last edited by Plip; 08-26-2017 at 09:08 AM.