Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Kobo Aura One vs Kindle

Ok, help me make a decision here fellow Bihnions. I recently purchased a Kindle Oasis, because I "have to have the newest gadget". I hate it, and the window to return it has sailed past. I didn't do my research on this one, which annoys me. I'm now back to using my Kindle Voyage, which I had to pry out of Mrs. Nuke's hands as she went back to the original Paperwhite she had been using. (She is very accommodating when it comes to my electronic purchases, because she always gets something free out of it when I tire of any device!).

I have been seriously considering switching to the Kobo Aura One for several reasons. It is water resistant (they say it's waterproof to 6 ft for 60 minutes) so I can read in the bath without needing a ziplock bag, I can read at the beach, I can read at the pool, etc. Also, it is a larger screen, which appeals to me because there will be more words on the page and I won't have to flip pages as often (I'm a fast reader). This will also come in handy for work-related PDF reading when I don't feel like using my glare-y iPad at night to read. I also like the integration with Overdrive, which my library uses. I've been on a library ebook borrowing spree lately.

With the ability to convert Kindle files and upload/transfer them to the Kobo, I wouldn't lose my existing Kindle purchases. There are several ways to convert the files, and being a nerd, I am comfortable handling that task.

Does anyone have a Kobo device? Likes and dislikes? Thoughts?
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only used kobo, because when I bought I knew I wanted access to library books. I bought various versions used so the whole family had one before going overseas and figured we could figure out what we liked and go on from there. They are great. No issues at all although there are a few steps to download from the
    Library. Not difficult but not one download either. I'm really happy with kobo and am planning to keep going with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nukediver, I have no input for Kobo. But am curious what you didn't like about Oasis?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Kobo Aura--not the waterproof one--and really like it. With Kindle, you have to purchase books from Amazon. With Kobo, you can purchase from anyone offering epub.....Kobo, Google Play, Apple, etc.

One thing.....the Kindle books have DRM and unless you get rid of that first, they won't be readable on the Kobo. It's not difficult to do but takes a few steps. I have read Kindle books on the Kobo and you can't tell the difference.

I'm waiting for a micro USB to micro USB OTG cable to arrive later this week to see if I can transfer books from my Android Tablet to the Kobo. If it works, then I will be free to buy books from other sources while traveling rather than only from Kobo. (I don't travel with a computer.)
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    @nukediver, I have no input for Kobo. But am curious what you didn't like about Oasis?
    Conceptually I liked the idea of a thin, light device, but I couldn't get a good grip on the Kindle when it was unpaired from the battery case. I dropped it more than once. Also, the battery life was less than stellar, even when I didn't take the Kindle off the case. My Voyage seems to last longer between charges. I also really missed being able to stand it up to read while eating; the Voyage's origami case was perfect for this.
    Eat well, travel often.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently went old school and bought a Sony PRS t 1 on eBay. It was the last one to have the eink screen, WiFi and audio capabilities and expandable memory. Idk about y'all but I like to listen to light classical while I read, plus I love audiobooks. I also liked that Sony would take books from kindle, Nook and any place else. It's in good shape and works well considering it came out I think like 5 years ago at least. I hate that there are no eink devices with audio. Kindle fire is not the same thing as kindle ereader.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Lowcountry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never thought I would look at any e-reader other than the Kindle. At the present, I have the Kindle Touch (KT). I have been waiting for a Kindle Oasis next generation. I love that my KT has a audio feature; but as I'm aging, I find that I need a e-reader with lights.

However, this thread got me thinking about the Kobo Aura One. The Kobo seems like something I could be interested in. I am not planning on purchasing a lot more books, because I have over 2000 books on my KT. I just need a larger e-reader with a light.

I don't know anything about electronics. How difficult is it to tranfer my 2000 books from my Kindle to the Kobo? Thank you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the first Kobo in color, in order to replace a proper/traditional library, with a digital one that could travel and move with me, with ease.

With the Kobo app, I can buy e-books from my local bookstore, borrow some from the library and read public domain publications made available by project Gutenberg.

It is an android tablet, made by Kobo, the size of a paperback and it not only uses the Kobo app, which also works on i devices, it is a full fledged tablet.

I bought it because it could read colors, I like biographies, which often have photos, I also like field guides where pictures and/or color plates are essential to identify

All I need is a wifi connection and with the Kobo, I can not only read books but find data pertaining to my reading, on the internet.

The device is small enough to fit inside the FJN, so I can take reading notes, on paper.

Washington DC-ish
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize I'm late to this post, but I have a Kobo Aura HD and I LOVE it. It's not waterproof, but it's been quite durable. I've had it since March 2014 and I've only had it hard crash on me once (I had to reinstall my library). It works very nicely with Calibre if you have a large ebook library and buy books from multiple stores or in multiple formats. It's also pretty easy to add extra fonts. The reason I bought it over a Kindle is that all the Kindles at the time had a flicker that drove me crazy when "turning" pages. No such flicker with the Kobo. It's the same or better resolution with a larger screen than my spouse's Kindle Paperwhite . If it died tomorrow, I'd likely replace it with a top of the line Kobo.

In addition, I can frequently read a book on the Kobo if a have a mild migraine, even when I can't on a tablet.
    Last edited by snowbot; 10-12-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Washington DC-ish
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phayes47 View Post
    I don't know anything about electronics. How difficult is it to tranfer my 2000 books from my Kindle to the Kobo? Thank you.
    It's not hard to do, but it will take third-party library-management software and the installation of non-sanctioned tools.

The library-management software I recommend is Calibre. I've only used it on a Mac. The kicker is that Kindle books can only be read on Amazon-sanctioned devices or applications. Your terms of agreement when purchasing a Kindle ebook basically say that you are buying the right to read the book, but only in association with your Amazon account. The exclusivity is achieved through Digital Rights Management (DRM) coding within the Kindle ebook file. If you want to read the book on another device, you would need to remove the DRM code from the file (deDRM it), and then convert it to a file format that your new ereader can read.

There are ethical questions about this. One, you're violating the terms of agreement. On the other hand, DRM means you don't own the book. Many readers take a middle ground by assuming that deDRM for personal (single person) use is acceptable, but that sharing deDRM'd files is wrong. (i.e. Assuming that you've purchased the right to have a single readable copy of the book that remains in your possession.)

I realize that this is a long-winded answer to your question. To summarize, it is possible to transfer a 2000-book Kindle library to another device. It will take two pieces of software, one of which falls in an ethically gray area, and time. The book file conversion is not instantaneous, however you can queue up a list of titles in Calibre.