Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm grateful that you started this thread, Ilkyway -- thank you.

BWeaves, Walker and bb93fo57: You guys are in my thoughts. Stay safe and, once everything settles and if you can/want to, let us know how you are doing.

Pokilani, sturbridge, NWhikergal and Kelly S: I hope your family makes it through the storm safely.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lots of family and friends in Florida.

I am one of the people, who gets really nervous about severe weather and, is always glued to the TV and the computer to get more info, show fist at the weather and local channels, if there is any hint of severe weather in my area and, they choose not to preempt soaps and other fiction films.

My husband, he almost slept through the sound of a nearby tornado siren, needless to say, he was rudely awaken by me, to get into our safe place, but the tornado had changed path, away from us.

As Ilkyway says, people process events differently.

Much loving thoughts sent to Floridians and families of Floridians.

Be especially careful of flood water, its movement can make people loose footing, when it stabilized, it is, not only full of bacteria and dirt, but in Florida, poisonous and other nasty critters. (comment motivated by a picture of somebody, waking in calf high water, with open toe shoes)

Again, good thoughts your way!
    Last edited by backpack; 09-11-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it through the other side with no damage, and power restored after 12 hours. I feel so lucky.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness! I hope everybody else has the samle luck!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Thank goodness! I hope everybody else has the samle luck!
    Agree. I caught @BWeaves' later post on Ravelry first. Have to admit that I've appreciated the posts from forum members in the affected areas, like @bb93fo57 and @backpack who've checked in, because it's hard thinking about all the people in the affected areas, and those now in the path.

Keep safe, and stay well, all of you.

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The friends' house I evacuated to must have sat in a pocket missed by Irma. The wind picked up and they lost a papaya tree, but it seemed like a normal stormy day. I actually went to sleep because nothing seemed to be happening (and I have not been sleeping much since Thursday).

When I drove out at noon to return home, the devastation a block away surprised me.

I am glad I evacuated - my neighborhood looks bad. Now, I can see all the neighboring buildings on 3 sides - they used to be screened by trees.

Could not reach a friend all day, so I drove over to check on them. They are good, but their neighborhood looks even worse than my neighborhood. I saw 2 huge trees that fell on the street. If they fell on the other side, the houses they shaded would have been buried, maybe flattened. These are huge trees with crowns wider than the houses.

We think of the people who bore the brunt of Irma. Thank you all for thinking of us in South Florida.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you made it through the storm OK, BWeaves! And Walker.... I can only imagine how scary and surreal it must be to see neighborhoods you know transformed in those ways. Thank you for letting us know you're OK.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Stay safe and, once everything settles and if you can/want to, let us know how you are doing.
    Thanks, Darcy, and everyone, for your good wishes!

Hunkered down in my 1950s-era house with my elderly mom after my employer unexpectedly closed its modern bunker of a building with multiple backup generators (our usual hurricane shelter), due to concerns the storm would exceed its structural rating.

We came through it ok. Most of the damage in my area was to trees / yards and power lines rather than to roofs and homes.

Still, this was a humbling reminder of mother nature’s power. Virtually everyone in my town is without power, streets are strewn with debris, and cleanup is going to take a while. Most businesses are shuttered, and gas shortages continue.

Feeling grateful to have not taken a direct hit... and my thoughts go out to those who did.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nephew in Miami suffered no damage, but is still without power.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Truck in Nebulous Gray, Co-Pilot in Black Halcyon/Iberian,Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am relieved to report my mom was safe where she evacuated to east of Gainesville, despite copious rain and wind, tornado watches, and losing power and water there. She was able to make her way back to near Sarasota today, and while her house is still without power, she is extremely grateful it did not flood as originally predicted. My thoughts go out to all of the folks in Florida who have been impacted on both smaller and larger and devastating scales. This is certainly making me rethink my preparedness measures, particularly living in an earthquake zone.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

South Pasadena Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Fortunate Son

Our condo unit is first floor, eleven feet above sea level. We evacuated to wife's sister's house in New Port Richey, 37 ft above sea level.
    Staring down a possible cat 5 storm hitting had me very worried. Especially as a native Floridian that has encountered Cat 4 storms(King @ age 4 in 1950 and Donna @age 14 in 1960).
    Fortunately, the Tampa Bay area only received a little kiss from Irma close to Cat 1 and the eye passed east of us.

Our condo unit did not lose power with one or two palms down. No flooding or storm surge. Could have been a lot worse. Naples and Keys damage could have been us.

Now we have Lee and and possible Maria out in the Atlantic.

Hoping for the best.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.Confused

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed for the storm. We live between Jacksonville and St. Augustine. During the storm we hosted guests evacuating from Key West.

Our area has suffered historic flooding. Our home is situated on a strip of land between the Atlantic Ocean and the St. Johns River, but we're at 31 feet.

I stayed up through the night. Tornados were in our area, but with the winds from the hurricane, there's no way we could have figured out if one was about to hit us.

Fortunately, we ended up only losing some large branches, a few shingles, and power for about 20 hours. In other words, we suffered practically nothing compared to so many others within even just a mile of here. I'm praying no more storms come our way (or anyone else's way, for that matter!). I'm ready for winter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2