Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    Watching: ENdeavour on PBS.
    FABULOUS show

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently carrying the new version synapse 25 olive/ultraviolet. And an aubergine/wasabi side effect. The s25 is my school bag (teacher) and my side effect is my purse (when I carry one). I also have a TB olive clear organizer wallet and myriad key straps. Love the s25 although it's like 6x the size I need for everyday use, but as a minimalist I just have one bag to rule them all (travel, EDC, school etc). So your will see in the pic there's actually not much in there.

I am reading The Obsidian Chamber by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, also The Cutthroat by Clive Cussler

I just finished Game of Thrones, amazing season, the 2 year wait will be killer, I am also watching season 4 of Endeavour and season 2 of Poldark (can't wait for season 3 later this month, #pbsnerd )

Ok, technically I am listening to The Obsidian Chamber (audiobook), but musically it's usually Pandora’s film score station, emphasis on Star Wars and John Williams music in general

Cooking?! I don't cook... domestically challenged chick here. Does Totino’s pizza rolls in the oven count? Or opening a container of hummas to dip my veggies in?

Going to Disney in January for marathon weekend, planning an overseas trip next summer, it's between Japan, Australia and European road trip right now, too many choices, first world problems!

With unlimited time and resources I would like to study more on Russian history, a long-standing interest of mine on the years of 1890-1960, fascinating bit of history. My family emigrated from there in 1907 to escape the pogroms. Dream would be to take a train across the country, St Petersburg to Vladivostok.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)?
    We're just coming off of summer here in Seattle, so I don't have much to carry with me most days. Since I don't, I'm using the Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack in Northwest Sky as my EDC.

What are you reading?
    Not much lately.

What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)?
    I've been watching mostly animated stuff: My Hero Academia, Steven Universe, South Park now that it's back and the game is going to come out next month.

What are you listening to?
    Nothing coherent in the way of music, comfort tunes mostly. In podcast land, mostly The Mixed Six and 99% Invisible.

What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    Nothing interesting in the cooking or baking front lately, but I did try Guinness' Irish Wheat which was surprisingly nice.

What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    Nothing concrete yet.

Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out?
    I don't know, everything? If I had to choose one thing, maybe something craftsman/artisan-y, like wood sculpting/carving.

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original Nordic/Steel Swift, Steel Parapack/UV SE (bag-in-bag), along with a Dawn Cubelet, three XS OPs (Turquoise, Iberian and OG Nordic)

What are you reading?

I have been trying to get into a Geraldine Brooks novel, but no success. Instead, I've been reading a lot about completing adventure events (e.g. Tough Mudder, which I just did last weekend).

The Defenders on Netflix, though I am finding there is way too much fighting and not enough story development. Project Runway is also a favorite at the moment.

Nothing these days. I need some new music or podcasts.

I'm back to juicing these days using a cold-pressed machine.

Park City, UT (never been) in October for a sisters weekend. Then, my usual Thanksgiving travel to NJ and this year FL for Christmas. I'm hoping 2018 will take me to The Netherlands (while the honey works, I will play) and Charleston (for a half marathon event).

Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out?
    I have always been intrigued by woodworking. I have a cherrywood box I made years ago that I adore. I even did all the sanding by hand so I could learn to listen to the wood. The closest I've come to getting back to it was sanding and refinishing my hardwood stairs. I have a lot to learn.
    Last edited by Pokilani; 09-14-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - A recently purchased preloved Ristretto 11 in Navy/Steel for edc, awesome bag. Similar to a medium cafe bag size but just a bit more organisation.
    - Western Flyer Ballistic Black/Island for Daily work and occasional overnight. Great as I don’t need to change bags, just add the overnight bits to my daily work stuff.
    - Tristar Steel/Island. Apart from the slightly awkward zips, my perfect travel bag in the perfect colours. For work and personal trips away.

What are you reading?
    Just found the author, James Smythe so working through his books, The Explorer, The Echo, The Machine.

Making my way (slowly) through game of thrones. Series 4 here I come.

I’m listening to a lot of music from the 90’s at the moment which were my teenage years. Enjoying hearing it all again.

Just signed up to Recipe Boxes to Cook Restaurant Quality Meals | Simply Cook which provides awesome spice kits for really great home meals. Trying lots of new recipes from it.

Thailand in 6 weeks. Anniversary trip with my wife. Can’t wait.

Financial Planning and coping with (bag) addiction. I’m awful at both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CARRYING: An aubergine/island Maker's Bag with my black ballistic/NWS SE tucked inside. I also brought along my DLBP for a work trip to Chicago last week. This weekend I'm hoping to do some bag clean out and switch over to my olive/canyon MCB or verde/NWS SK.

READING: Not Just Me by Lisa Jakub (paperback), A Beautiful Work in Progress by Mirna Valerio (Kindle), and Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker (Audible). I'm somehow also hoping to start Brene Brown's new book, Braving the Wilderness, which arrived on my doorstep earlier this week.

WATCHING: Still watching Last Week Tonight. Just started the new season of South Park. Also watching lots and lots of football!

LISTENING TO: Jen Hatmaker's For the Love podcast, and lots of 90s music on Spotify.

COOKING/BAKING/DRINKING: Making eggs and avocado on an almost-daily basis, because why not? Drinking lots of sparkling water and too much coffee (just made the switch from cold brew to hot!).

TRAVELING TO: Chicago in October for a football game, and Montana in November for a yoga retreat!

BONUS: I spent years studying Spanish but my brain isn't wired to retain second languages. I'd really love to master the Spanish language, and then move on to German Smilie

What Are You Carrying?: School Daze Edition (9/2017)-tb-chicago-2-jpg

What Are You Carrying?: School Daze Edition (9/2017)-tb-chicago-1-jpg
    kindness is contagious.

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these types of threads!

Right now, it’s a Black Halcyon/Island S25, stuffed with all my work gear. Inside I have 2 Caches, one for my work laptop (a 15” Dell), the other for my 9.7” iPad Pro, a Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky Sidekick (as my PLO), plus a variety of pouches, key straps, organizer cubes, and a First Aid Pouch to hold everything. I just ordered a Brain Bag this morning (Mars Red!) because the S25 isn’t cutting it for all the stuff I’m now required to carry for work.

What are you reading?

Just started Neil Stephenson’s “Seveneves”. I’m also catching up on past issues of The New Yorker.

Watching a lot of Star Trek Voyager on BBC America. I missed a lot of episodes when it originally aired. And baseball, of course.

All over the map on this one. A lot of jazz (John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, etc.), with some classical, opera, 80’s hair bands, and Radio Margaritaville thrown in for good measure.

I’m not much for cooking, so there’s been an awful lot of eating out this summer. Fortunately, there are many great options near me that I have on rotation (Dominican, Thai, Greek, and of course pizza!). And I’m still drinking lots of local IPAs.

I’m going on a cruise in October; vacation was postponed twice this year due to work commitments, so I cannot WAIT to just sit in a deck chair and read for a week. A quick trip to Florida to visit family in January/February. There was supposed to be a trip to Italy next spring, but that has been derailed (by work, again…).

Hmm, my first inclination is to say “history”, but that is a ridiculously broad answer. Specifically, it would be the two World Wars. My interest was sparked by my travels to places like Belarus (post-Chernobyl, for work) and South Pacific dive sites (Truk/Chuuk Lagoon, Papua New Guinea, Australia). I’m up to date on stuff like the Manhattan Project, since that’s my field (I am such a nerd), but the scope of these worldwide events fascinates me.
    Eat well, travel often.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

What are you reading?
    1. I am currently carrying my Synapse 19 (narrow strap version with the Portable Culture patch). Navy/UV
    2. For pleasure I'm reading When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams. For class I'm re-reading Uncle Tom's Cabin (I'm back to teaching American Lit/Comp)
    3. I'm watching Matt Smith in Dr. Who, Outlander, Season 3, and Lark Rise to Candleford
    4. I'm listening to classical guitar, Ed Sheerhan, and Wailin' Jennys (and also my Audible book, Eliot's Middlemarch)
    5. I'm not really doing much cooking/baking/drinking that would interest anyone at the moment. We are just getting back to "normal" after Irma. It's been food eaten out of the fridge (powered by a generator) and frozen waffles "grilled" on the gas range.
    6. Travel destinations are depressingly scarce. I was going to be going to a knitting retreat in Orlando today, but it got cancelled because the hotel suffered a lot of damage from the storm. My next trip will likely be to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. At Christmas break our family is heading to Helen, Georgia for a little rest and hiking.
    7. If I could learn about anything, I think I'd become a master spinner (and then an author about said skill). As it is, I'm an adequate spinner, but I have neither the time nor the funds to improve right now.

Thanks, @Badger! I love reading everyone's contributions.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? EDC is Red Blend DLBC, which I keep gravitating back to. Bigger bag of choice is Steel/Iberian Cadet; the Navy/Iberian Pilot may be trade bait. I recently received an Aubergine/Island A45 which I'm excited to try; the Indigo/Solar Tri-Star is a thing of awesomeness but I am neither a small person nor a minimalist packer Smilie

What are you reading? Sadly, not as much as I'd like. I'm in the middle of the Hamilton and Washington biographies by Ron Chernow, and recently quite enjoyed Where'd You Go, Bernadette. I want to re-read Stephen King's It, given the movie being out.

What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? Had a few great Broadway experiences (Hamilton, Great Comet, Dear Evan Hansen) this year thanks to a surge of interest from my 12yo recently. I don't watch much TV but am excited for Mr Robot to return next month, and I binged Master of None and Catastrophe and really enjoyed both.

What are you listening to?Same old stuff on shuffle play. Some classic rock and pop, some Gershwin, some Broadway.

What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Mostly uninteresting-but-gets-the-job-done breakfasts for family, and meats on the grill. Wish I would make time to do more interesting stuff. I made some pretty great cookie dough last week, much of which didn't make it past the dough stage Smilie And maybe a few too many Negronis.

What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? San Antonio for Thanksgiving, Paris in the spring with my family and parents, and currently working on a long trip out west (NM, Grand Canyon, Utah, Vegas, hitting a few national parks) for the end of next summer.

Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out? Wow, that's tough. I'd love to spend more time on two things I really like but haven't done much of - crossword/puzzle construction and computer programming. The Cassini pictures make me want to learn more about space exploration. And just last night I thought to myself "I TOTALLY wish I knew more about _____" and thought of this thread.... and now I can't remember what it was. Oops!

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHAT ARE YOU CARRYING?

Cloud/Cloud Luminary with red zipper pulls. Inside, a rolled up Iberian LSB on one side and

an Iberian 3DOC on the other.

Balanced on top of THAT is my trusty Cloud/Veridian SE with a red key strap, and

my azure TB wallet inside it.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All day, every day: black Imago. (Tom, please bring it back!)
    Black Ristretto and black Empire Builder, for the computer.
    Black Aeronaut 30
    Black Field Journal Notebook
    (yes, I am boring when it comes to color)

What are you reading?
    These days, all the required readings for my classes (why do I assign so much?)
    The Economist (on paper), the Frankfurter Allgemeine and The Guardian (electronic)
    This summer I read lots of books on freighter and other travel
    Just discovered the spy/detective novels by Joseph Kanon set in Berlin (Defectors, The Good German), and read the first Smiley novel by John Le Carré. Also Charles McCarry.
    The Peripheral by William Gibson
    The detective series by Leon Meyer
    German detective fiction authors like Olivier Bottini, Wolfgang Schorlau, Friedrich Ani.

Not much; “Les Nouvelles de Vingt Heure” on France 2, “This Old House” on NPR
    “Tatort” on ARD or YouTube

NPR for news and everything else
    “Out of the Box” on my local NPR station WHRV/WHRO for new music
    re-connecting with Steeleye Span and the British electric folk revival
    Keep coming back to Guy Clark’s album “My Favorite Picture of You”
    and a shout out to Badger for Arvo Pärt!

Discovered a great beet, Yogurt and preserved lemon relish by Ottam Ottolenghi this summer
    Will try a new chicken Teriyaki recipe tonight and salmon Teriyaki in a couple of days (is Teriyaki really a Seattle thing?). Copper well noodles tomorrow.
    Drinking: Bell’s Two Hearted Ale and Oberon, Phoebus Malbec Reserva, bourbon cocktails.

Just back from DC, heading soon to Venice Florida, back to DC, Philadelphia for a conference, Paris.

Electronics. Morse Code. Would love to learn to draw or play an instrument. Classical history.

Montana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DubbySmurf;149531]What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)?

-Hardcore History by Dan Carlin

Which one? My husband and I listened to WWI and the Khans. His podcasts are so good!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently listening to the WWI ones. I only started listening to him in April around his Blitz episode, but since then I've listened to the King of Kings, Celtic Holocaust, and the Reformation one. Working my way back!
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? *mumble mumble* My current EDC isn't a TB branded bag. But I think this thread may just guilt me into carrying my cloud/cloud Luminary again.
    What are you reading? To Fire Called by Nathan Lowell. It's my 4th or 5th time reading through the series.
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? I don't watch much tv, I watch a lot of youtube though.
    What are you listening to? The No Agenda podcast, or Talking on My Morning Walk podcast (more Nathan Lowell)
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? A lot less than I used to? I've started on the 4:3 "diet" and it seems to be working really well for me.
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? We don't have any travel plans on the horizon until next summer when we'll be visiting our family in England.
    Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out? I'd love to learn more about off-grid small house living and homesteading.

Edit: I realized the bag I was carrying was causing me neck pain, so I've now switched to the cloud/cloud Luminary as my baby bag (preschooler bag) with a Nordic Blue side kick for my handbag items (wallet/keys/etc)
    Last edited by Kelly S; 09-16-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Succumbed to peer pressure.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    My husband and I listened to WWI and the Khans. His podcasts are so good!
    We listened to the WWI series as well - yeah, so good! I'm hoping he's got a WWII series planned as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast