Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying?: School Daze Edition (9/2017)

That's right! Time for another rousing installment of "What Are You Carrying?"! Let's put on our thinking caps, scholars: pop quiz.

How to play: respond to each of the questions; answering the Optional Bonus Question is, as its name implies, optional.

~~~~~~

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)?
    What are you reading?
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)?
    What are you listening to?
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out?

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will reply with a real post, but I just happened to be thinking this morning that we hadn't done a round of "what are you carrying" in a while!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~~~~~~

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? EDC is an aubergine SE but I'm looking forward to Friday's delivery of a deep blue luminary.
    What are you reading? House of the Spirits by Allende from my Must Read shelf, the Night Shift by Connelly as a fun read, and The Language of Sisters for book group.
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? Not much right now... HGTV
    What are you listening to? Another book on audio- Collared by Rosenfelt
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Enjoying a Mike's on the porch right now
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? NYC tomorrow, Chicago in two weeks. Winter plans are on hold after the hurricanes.
    Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out? Would love to learn more about photography and possibly become fluent in another language. Used to be almost fluent in french and german but have lost most of both as the years have gone by...
    Last edited by Traveltech; 09-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    What are you reading?
    Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out?
    Bag/accessories: I have shifted into my new Mars Red Synapse 19 and Side Effect. Because RED.
    Reading: Risk communication books and articles. You're thrilled, I can tell.
    Watching: CFL football! Also the new season of Ripper Street.
    Listening: The Black Tapes podcast, CBC Music (Chill Out stream is my favourite), The Penderwicks audiobook series with my kids.
    Cooking/baking/drinking: Having trouble letting go of summer, so I'm still drinking radlers and pale (not light!) beers.
    Travel: Montreal in November for a conference, and that's about it.
    Subject to study: Twentieth century history.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag/Accessories: New Bihnion, so no bag yet...waiting for the Luminary, Synapse 19, & SmartAlec colors to come back... I used a black/island Side Effect on my last vacay tho!
    Reading: Barking Up the Wrong Tree - Eric Barker
    Watching: No TV, no streaming...watch some live sports out at a pub sometimes
    Listening: 80's radio and NPR
    Cooking/Baking/Drinking: Delicata squash is back, baked two today... still hot in CA, so cold whites & roses or good beer
    Travel: Ecuador in October for 2 weeks!
    Subject to Study: biopsychology

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Participating in my own thread isn't just a procrastination tactic, is it? It probably is. Whatever.

This is complicated! I'm challenging myself to carry a wide variety of bags for a few months, so I'm trying to change things up every couple of weeks. This week I'm carrying my beloved 200d Steel Dyneema/Solar Synapse 19, along with a Steel Dyneema 3D Organizer Pouch, S19 Freudian Slip, and a Mini Organizer Pouch in Fjord. I think I will carry my Navy/Wasabi Maker's Bag next week, but don't quote me on that just yet.

What are you reading?
    A lot of stuff at the moment, but I'm most looking forward to The Lowells of Massachusetts (2017) by Nina Sankovitch. If I stop procrastinating and get my other stuff done, I can crack it tonight.

Just trying to finish up the last 2-3 episodes of Durarara!!.

Fleet Foxes; Stafrænn Hákon; and Arvo Pärt's "Sieben Magnificat-Antiphonen"—not all at the same time.

Not a lot of kitchen activity these days. I am also out of beer.

Aside from some jaunts around the New England countryside, not much. There won't be any significant travel until 2018.

So many things! Many are boring so I'll say cha-do, the Japanese tea ceremony. After three years of practice in college I attained the first level of proficiency, and I would really enjoy resuming it. I'm pretty sure I can't sit on my knees for over an hour anymore, though.

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun! Thanks Badger!

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors)? 400d steel/uv dyneema swift, with a halcyon Nordic/steel side kick to corral my wallet and other stuff, and a uv knitting stuff sack with socks in progress.

What are you reading? Working through Knitting in the Old Way, german language text/workbook, and looking for a fun read.

What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? No time for TV right now ::

What are you listening to? Streaming a lot- SWR3.de, weta.com

What are you cooking/baking/drinking? Have been on a soup kick-- chicken soup, potato soup, and next a veg/chickpea soup, and of course.. Kürbissuppe (pumpkin soup)

What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? Nothing exciting right now. Maybe TNNA in Las Vegas in January and Florida in February, but we'll see.

Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out? German language Smilie

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the same ol', same ol'. black halcyon / island SK (with small UV and mini zest OPs corralling various bits inside), and my black halcyon / UV S25 for everyday work and most of the last few months' travelings, continuing to use my original halcyon DLBP most days for gym tings, and recently started using a SSB for schlepping my lunch and snacks back and forth to work.

What are you reading?
    nothin much at the moment, though I'm due for another visit to the library. tangentially related, but I gotta say that living somewhere that affords me access to a library -- several great ones, actually! -- is so so so nice. I grew up in a suuuuuper rural area that didn't have one, save for the tiny one at school and one in a neighboring county (whose collection was very meager for anything but children's books and I had to pay to check anything out).

basically vibrating with anticipation of the return of curb your enthusiasm in a couple weeks. while I was traveling last week, I watched the incredible Jessica James on Netflix and proceeded to re-watch it....an embarrassing number of times. jazzed about broad city returning tonight, and the chris gethard show is always weird and satisfying (but mostly weird)

the endless stream of earworms that are in my head at all times like some kind of brain jukebox. I've really been enjoying beach slang lately, as well as nada surf's peaceful ghosts album, and forever on rotation are my faves (killer Mike / run the jewels, quicksand, deftones) and the guilty pleasures bonanza that is my iTunes library.

still trying to get back in the cooking and baking groove (my culinary ambitions always wane in the summer). a coworker just found out today that she got a new job, so I'm gonna make her favorite cake, which is a really rich chocolate guy that almost has a brownie texture, layered with my homemade strawberry jam, frosted with dark chocolate ganache (and decorated with some fresh strawbs if I can get some decent ones somehow). drinking all the waters still (filtered tap, grapefruit seltzers, and my occasional fizzy indulgences, frosty bottles of topo chico and gerolsteiner mineral waters).

I think I'm about done traveling for a while. one more trip of familial obligation to MO, and a quick jaunt to Chicago in November to see kamasi washington (!!!). I just got back from the outer banks in NC last weekend, which was nice, but being home is also pretty great after being away so much this summer.

imma come back to this one!
    Last edited by capncat; 09-14-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CArrying: Nordic S25 to mountain cabin
    REading: "Weaving" by Shirley Held. Mom gave me her floor loom.
    Watching: ENdeavour on PBS.
    Cooking: sheet pan meals with veggies. Otherwise, avoiding cooking.
    Destinations: None, alas, but I'd welcome a Rome Prize. :-)

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying: MCB in Mars Red/Dawn
    What are you reading: A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)? Mostly the NFL (Go COWBOYS!!!)
    What are you listening to? An audiobook - Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking? I am cooking as little as possible.
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you? Spain and Portugl in summer 2018
    Optional Bonus Question: If you had unlimited time and resources, what subject would you want to learn inside and out? I would want to learn and master either Italian or Greek.
    S19 & S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/NW Sky; GE S25 & GE S25/Coyote; S30/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/Island, SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA & SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Wasabi, MCB & MCB/Canyon.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mars/canyon Side Effect as wallet. I love it so much. Smilie Well, not that much, but it really is pretty! Also last week my Smart Alec (steel/Iberian) got a lot of use. But this week I need less stuff, so I'm back to my Synapse 19 (OG Dyneema/wasabi)

What are you reading?
    Currently New People by Danzy Senna. But the best book I've read so far this year is The Changeling by Victor Lavalle. Amazing ride of a NYC book. Best book last year was The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I think it should be required reading for basically everyone.

Theater is my profession, and right now Romeo and Juliet is the show. I mean to watch Glow, too. And the Biggie documentary on A&E was really engrossing.

classic soul, The National, SZA, Sevyn Streeter, Jidenna

pinot grigio. right now. Smilie It's my post-show bump.

Probably NYC at the end of October. Maybe Portugal. It's been on my list for a long time.

My dream life is to be a student forevermore. I'd study everything. Spanish language, Chinese language. art restoration, art conservation. Urban planning. Studio arts. I really love the art world, so I'd immerse myself in that.
    Last edited by Rocks; 09-13-2017 at 10:25 PM.

around 53°
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love these threads!

Bag? DLBC for work and MCB on the weekends.

Reading? Canadian history. Teaching a Social Studies class again and am looking for a few different sources to supplement our basic text resource.

Watching? Ballers, The Sinner, and Claws.

Listening? Future Hits playlist on Apple Music.

Travel? Minneapolis next month for a quick Vikings game.

Bonus? I want to learn more about photography (I can't get enough) and python programming (I offer stand-alone classes to my students but I need to be more comfortable with the language).

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeg780 View Post
    Travel? Minneapolis next month for a quick Vikings game.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Black Halcyon/Island Maker's Bag with notebooks, guidebooks, AirPods, iPad Pro, EDC, etc. I'm an educater at a boarding school now, so it's a mix of school stuff and personal stuff.

What are you reading?
    -Early Christianity and Greek Paideia by Werner Jaeger. I'm a Classicist interested in theology, so lucky me that I have a large amount of books available.

-Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones reruns, and Rick and Morty.

-Hardcore History by Dan Carlin

-Not a great cook or baker, but I can drink! My favorite lately has been a Spalter Beer.

-Currently in Germany for a year and I spent a week in London not too long ago. Next big travel will be going home to Minnesota for Christmas. Otherwise, I'm just exploring Germany when I have time, hoping to be in Munich at the end of the month for Oktoberfest.

-So many things: I'd love to learn to make things. Leather working to make wallets, boots, shoes, bags; metallurgy to make instruments; general sewing to make my own gear; woodworking for furniture. I'd also enjoy learning a few more languages to see if I can get into double digits.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For work, a Steel/Iberian Makers Bag. This bag grows on me more everyday. Would so love another in Mars Red...
    For non-work days, my Side Kick in Verde/UV. It rides in the MB for work, but either on its own, or in a Swift (Aubersky) or LS (Steel/Fjord) when I need to carry a book or kid stuff/etc

What are you reading?
    A Gathering Of Shadows by VE Schwab. Second in the series. Fantasy. Magic. Really strong main characters and amazing world building. Also reading Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl to kids at bedtime, and listening to A walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson for like the 4th time in the car.

Just discovered Shameless on Netflix. Totally hooked.

What are you listening to? Audiobooks mostly, and the Podcast What Should I Read Next. Going through a music-free time right now. Not sure why.

Argh. I hate cooking. Why don't I have a personal chef?

Need to go to PA to see in-laws. Want to take kids to Disney again soon. Want to go to Scotland!

I would pursue ART/drawing/making with my hands in fiber or pencil or paint or scissors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast