Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 7, 8, X

Forum Member
    The South
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPhone 7, 8, X

Hello!

I'm curious what other travel enthusiasts are using for cell phones. I've been a happy iPhone user since 2008 and currently have a 6s, but now that it's time for my upgrade, I am finding myself at a loss. I have a nice pair of foldable Bose headphones that I'm very happy with for traveling, and that work fantastic with in-seat entertainment. Additionally, I often find myself loaning my phone to my five-year-old for use with her headphones. I am not interested in Bluetooth headphones, whatsoever. The design of apple earbuds has always been extremely uncomfortable, and I have several brand new pair that have never been opened, so I'm not willing to try the AirPods.

So do I get a new 6s with bigger storage? The SE? I despise the OS on my husband's android, and so would like to stick with an older generation iPhone, I think.

Any advice for me? How do you work around it?

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

curious too...

Oh, do I hear you! I have a 6S Plus which I love, and I'm keeping it for now. Apple earbuds have always fallen out of my ears, and I'm on the phone and on earbuds enough while it's charging that the idea of losing a separate headphone jack is a non-starter.

If I did get an Android, it would probably be a One Plus -- my son has one and I've been really impressed with it.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE and 6s are basically the same phone internally, so go with whichever you prefer, whether by price or appearance. After splurging on the Bose Bluetooth headphones, I will never go back. no matter what wired headphone I use, they tend to pull out. I also have the AirPods when the Bose are too big, the AirPods and case are perfect for daily use, the case charges them while in the case.

If you are 100% unwilling to go Bluetooth, I personally would go SE, it's cheaper than the 6s, although maybe you can get a 6S for a similar price right now. Even still the SE has one of my favorite phone designs.

I have a Nexus 6p, but I preordered the 8 plus. I've used android for 6-8 years. I am kind of burnt out on google abandoning projects, and after my nexus 6p had battery issues about 9 months after owning it, random shutdowns between 15-45%, I decided to give iPhone a shot. I have an iPad, so I am somewhat familiar with iOS. I was debating the LG V30 and the iPhone, the lg v30 would be great for you, on paper at least, has a headphone jack, supposedly a good dad for audio. LG has a spotty reputation though, and they still don't have a release date.

I have the Bose quite comfort 35, battery life is never an issue, I think it's rated at 40 hours, not 100% and you can use it wired as well, although you lose the noise cancelling feature.

Good luck.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, is it the Ear Pods that you don't like? Or the older round style? I never liked the old kind at all, but I found the Ear Pods to be a lot different, and pretty good for comfort and staying in my ears. However, if you don't like Ear Pods, I agree, Air Pods are not for you.

It seems to me that your options are (a) get a new 6S (or keep your current one), allowing you to keep using standard wired headphones of all kinds, (b) get one of the newer models and a dongle to let you use your current wired headphones with the Lightning port, (c) get one of the newer models and find a pair of non-Apple Lightning headphones that you like, or (d) get one of the newer models and find a pair of non-Apple Bluetooth headphones that you like (though it doesn't sound like that's a route you're interested in). Not sure any option here is ideal, mind you, unless you don't mind the dongle.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you about the Bose headphones! I have a pair and they are great, and so I'm disappointed that all the manufacturers (now Google as well as Apple) seem to be moving in the direction of bluetooth vs. having a dedicated jack.

The SE is a pretty good phone, but due to the smaller screen, I don't know if it would feel like an upgrade to you. However, it is extremely portable and is supposed to have a better battery life than the 6 (probably due to not having to power a larger screen). But either way, springing for more storage space is one of the most useful things you could do. It's great not having to worry about moving photos off your phone, and to store as much music or as many movies as you want, depending on how you use it. I'd try both models out in a store. The 6S can now be purchased from Apple as a refurb (which means you pay slightly less but still have a warranty), and the SE just got a $50 price drop.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't understand the connection made here between the newer phones and headphones really?
    My newest iPhone came with the stupid tiny adapter to allow me to use standard wired cans and of course they will all be able to use BT too so what is the deal exactly?

I guess it is also worth saying that I can not stand headphones of any kind ever and I will NEVER own a Bose product either but the question asked was about the iPhone but then it just talks about headphones?
    Adapters are a royal pain for sure but they do give you one too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I can't understand the connection made here between the newer phones and headphones really?
    My newest iPhone came with the stupid tiny adapter to allow me to use standard wired cans and of course they will all be able to use BT too so what is the deal exactly?

I guess it is also worth saying that I can not stand headphones of any kind ever and I will NEVER own a Bose product either but the question asked was about the iPhone but then it just talks about headphones?
    Adapters are a royal pain for sure but they do give you one too.
    The one complaint I can understand about the 7 is the inability to use wired headphones and charge the phone simultaneously out of the box. On my work from home days I usually spend a minimum of 6 hours on conference calls and the layout of my house necessitates the use of headphones if I don't want the other end hearing the dogs, kids, etc...

However, I don't foresee the 8/X having the same issue, because now that it supports wireless charging, I will be able to plug in headphones and just drop the phone on a charging pad when it's getting low.

My issue has been more about whether to go with the 8+ or the X. My 6 is limping along with an external battery pack for life support, and it's time for an upgrade. I want a bigger screen, to reduce my dependency on my iPad for some tasks, but is the approximately $350 (Cdn) price difference worth it to get that bigger screen in a size I'm more comfortable with, I can't decide. The other improvements in the X are more like icing on the cake, it's really the screen size to physical size that's driving my decision.

Forum Member
    The South
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughtful replies!

My issue with Bluetooth headphones is that I already have to bring wired headphones on my frequent flights for the in-seat entertainment and I don't want to have to bring an extra set or dongle in my limited packing space to make my phone useable.

So I actually have a 6S and a 4S to compare sizes. And now I'm thinking of just keeping my current 6S and getting an iPad with the money instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=terayon;149717]Just to be clear, is it the Ear Pods that you don't like? Or the older round style? I never liked the old kind at all, but I found the Ear Pods to be a lot different, and pretty good for comfort and staying in my ears. However, if you don't like Ear Pods, I agree, Air Pods are not for you.

I could not wear the old headphones that came with iPhones. AirPods are a completely different experience. They stay in. A lot is believed to be the lack of a cord to weight them down and pull them from the ears. AirPods are my favorite. But BeatsX I use on airplanes because I sit on the aisle and you do get banged around and finding one that gets knocked free could be really problematic. BeatsX have a really long battery life and have a quick recharge to get you a few more hours in about 5 minutes. Coast to coast with Beats X is no problem at all.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoon View Post
    I don't want to have to bring an extra set or dongle in my limited packing space to make my phone useable.
    Last year I made the leap from the 5s to the 7 Plus; I was changing carriers and had to get a new phone anyway, and I was enamored by the camera on the 7 Plus. I wasn't thrilled about the lack of headphone jack, but it's turned out to be a relative non issue for me. I plugged the dongle in to an old set of earpods (hey, might as well use 'em until they die) and that's where it stays. I also keep my earpods in my SE or SK (daily carry) so if I want to, for example, plug in to a friend's wired speaker, I can detach the dongle and do that with relative ease. (Admittedly, it IS annoying on the rare occasion I don't have my earpods with me.)

Really not a fan of the word "dongle," though :-P
    kindness is contagious.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    My issue has been more about whether to go with the 8+ or the X. My 6 is limping along with an external battery pack for life support, and it's time for an upgrade. I want a bigger screen, to reduce my dependency on my iPad for some tasks, but is the approximately $350 (Cdn) price difference worth it to get that bigger screen in a size I'm more comfortable with, I can't decide. The other improvements in the X are more like icing on the cake, it's really the screen size to physical size that's driving my decision.
    I have a 7 Plus and I LOVE the screen size, but I do wish the device was just a tad bit smaller. I'll probably upgrade to the X when my current phone conks out, but I don't anticipate that being any time soon.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    The South
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tebnewyork;149730]
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Just to be clear, is it the Ear Pods that you don't like? Or the older round style? I never liked the old kind at all, but I found the Ear Pods to be a lot different, and pretty good for comfort and staying in my ears. However, if you don't like Ear Pods, I agree, Air Pods are not for you.

I could not wear the old headphones that came with iPhones. AirPods are a completely different experience. They stay in. A lot is believed to be the lack of a cord to weight them down and pull them from the ears. AirPods are my favorite. But BeatsX I use on airplanes because I sit on the aisle and you do get banged around and finding one that gets knocked free could be really problematic. BeatsX have a really long battery life and have a quick recharge to get you a few more hours in about 5 minutes. Coast to coast with Beats X is no problem at all.
    It's any in-ear headphones. I can use memory foam in-ear headphones for about 30 minutes before I'm done. I have to have the big ones!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just glad to hear someone else who hates in-ear sound equipment. Nice to know I'm not alone, and have found this whole thread useful. Thanks.

Forum Member
    The South
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I think I'm just going to keep my paid-for 6s and instead spend the money on either an iPad or MacBook/Air!

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Sounds like a plan.

You'll get more out of the just-released iOS 11 on an iPad (or iPad Pro) than you'll ever get out of 11 on a new iPhone, big or small.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast