Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New iCloud security issue!

There's a new article out about hackers using Apple privacy and password storage features in ransom attacks.

I have an iMac, and I just activated an iCloud account, but I do not use "Find My iPhone" or "Find My Mac". Am I safe?

I do not like the suggestion that I use password services to constantly generate new passcodes to thwart hackers. That's crazy. I like to have some idea what my passcode is for a given internet account.

Comments?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The takeaway of that article is that affected users’ info were not acquired through a breach of Apple’s servers and that "impacted users likely used the same email addresses, account names, and passwords for multiple accounts, allowing people with malicious intent to figure out their iCloud details.”

Nobody on here (or on any forum) can tell you if you are “safe” or not based on the two pieces of information you provided — that you have an iMac and don’t use the “Find my iPhone” feature.

There are many factors to consider in internet security, including how you create and manage your passwords. Apple’s suggestions for hard-to-crack passwords are just that — suggestions. If you don’t like 'em, don’t use 'em. But it is good you are thinking about generating complex passwords, rather than using “12345” as the password for all your accounts. lol

Complex passwords can seem daunting at first, because the user can't hope to remember them all, but there are some good password manager programs out there that make it easy to organize and update them.

The litany of breaches at entities ranging from OPM to Equifax to the SEC is dispiriting... and a good reminder that we all should probably take a look at our own security practices.

Change passwords from time to time. Never use the same username / password combo for multiple accounts. Store important stuff on external hard drives and make backups / clones frequently. Keep copies offsite as well as onsite. Keep calm and carry on. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    There's a new article out about hackers using Apple privacy and password storage features in ransom attacks.

I have an iMac, and I just activated an iCloud account, but I do not use "Find My iPhone" or "Find My Mac". Am I safe?

I do not like the suggestion that I use password services to constantly generate new passcodes to thwart hackers. That's crazy. I like to have some idea what my passcode is for a given internet account.

Comments?
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-22-2017 at 06:27 AM.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple rules for increasing the security of all your internet accounts:

• Use longer passwords that are phrases rather than simple word+number combinations
    • Don't reuse the same password everywhere, even if it means your password for Gmail is "hunter2gmailpassword" and your Apple password is "hunter2applepassword"
    • Enable 2-factor authentication wherever it is feasible so that a password leak doesn't open you up - DO NOT LOSE YOUR BACKUP 2FA CODES! 2FA on Apple accounts is incredibly secure... but if you lose access to all of your devices at once you may be locked out of your accounts forever!
    • Protect your email account password over all others - many other accounts you have can be breached with simple access to your email
    • For security questions that don't rely on your Personal Identifiable Information being accurate (banks, etc), make up fake answers to reduce the chances of breaches via customer service social engineering