Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SF Bay area forum members.

How are you doing?
    Everyone ok?
    I know there's a few of us on the forum here.

Thankfully our family is way south of the fires, but we're still getting a lot of smoke.
    Hope everyone else is doing alright.
    Stay safe out there (and don't breathe deep!)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    How are you doing?
    Everyone ok?
    I know there's a few of us on the forum here.

Thankfully our family is way south of the fires, but we're still getting a lot of smoke.
    Hope everyone else is doing alright.
    Stay safe out there (and don't breathe deep!)
    I'm down in Redwood City, and the smoke is bad. Friends evacuated in Healdsburg.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Cupertino/Sunnyvale (we're right on the border).
    It's bad here, but I'm sure it's worse North of where we are.
    There's an air quality map online that shows everything south of San Mateo as "unhealthy". I'm sure once you get South enough it clears up, but I think you'd have to go as far as Morgan Hill or Gilroy.
    I've heard it's likely to get worse too. We're staying indoors as much as we can.
    I can't complain too much, I know we're lucky that it's just smoke and not fire.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty horrible today in San Jose - here's from 2pm, and it looked like dusk in the middle of the day:

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in the bay, now in Sacramento. Iíve seen friends of friends with homes destroyed. Other friends as close as Fairfield are evacuating now, as well. This is a terrifying situation, and I hope everyone here comes through safely!
    DLBC (black Dyneema), Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In San Francisco, the air smelled like smoke on Monday and Tuesday, and most schools cancelled outdoor play and asked kids to keep inhalers available if needed, as did several athletic facilities. Some of the city workers and parking staff working outdoors were wearing masks as well. Today (Wednesday) the air doesn't smell like smoke, but there was a surreal red sun in the sky - I think partly because of all the smog. Stay safe, everybody.

ETA: Thursday (today) is really bad outside in the city. I can't imagine how it is in surrounding areas. My car was covered with a thin layer of ash after parking outside overnight. The smell of smoke has permeated work buildings and homes, and several people are outside with filtration masks as they go about their daily commute.
    Last edited by GoStanford; 10-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happily Iím not in San Jose right now and am missing the dreadful air...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for starting this thread, @Kelly S

Many of us here at TB have friends and family in areas of California impacted by the fires or even just the smoke, and we're following the news closely.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're OK. We live in the East Bay so we are not directly impacted by the fires. A co-worker of mine has family in Napa. So far his family members' homes are all still fine, although his mother-in-law's former house, which she'd sold just this past April, has burnt down. The new owners were doing a major renovation so my co-worker is sure they had home insurance.

My high school classmates held a reunion in one of their homes in Santa Rosa earlier this year, and that house is completely burnt down. They shared photos; the only thing that's still recognizable is their pool.

I also have friends in Santa Rosa and Healdburg. So far they are OK, but they have their bags packed in case. Fire fighters have made real progress over the weekend so now they aren't all at zero containment, but the fires are all still burning, so you still have to stay on your toes. All it takes is a shift in the winds and you may need to evacuate.

Air quality has been shifting based on winds. Everyone's been checking the Airnow.com website. Just in case, we bought N95 respirator masks in case.

We ran a trail half marathon this past Saturday in Brentwood (near Livermoer) and fortunately the air quality was really good so we were able to run without breathing issues. An inversion layer trapped all the smoke this past Wednesday and we could barely see any of the hills up the street at my office, and we're a good 50 miles from the fires.

Please continue to keep the North Bay folks in your thoughts. And the fire fighters -- they are true heroes. The fires are alive 24 hours so there is no taking a break (fortunately fire fighters from around the country have started to show up to help provide additional help and offer relief for those who need to take a break).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Air quality has been shifting based on winds. Everyone's been checking the Airnow.com website. Just in case, we bought N95 respirator masks in case.
    airnow.gov hasn't really seemed to "mesh" with what I was seeing and smelling in my area.
    You might want to also check out purpleair.com They've got a "map" section that seems to be more accurate.
    It's an "internet of things" sourced map that uses air quality monitoring stations set up at schools, and other places like that.
    Last edited by Kelly S; 10-16-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: trimmed down quote for relevance to what I was replying to