Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPhone App for Dementia sufferers and carers

There is a new app called "mRecall" written specifically as an aid for dementia sufferers. It is meant to be easy to use, to send urgent message to main carer, to display route home and to send current location to your main carer. The app will also notify the user if he/she wonders outside the comfort zone. The current version is still quite basic but I already have some ideas for more features. This app is my contribution to the elderly in our society and it's currently free to download. If you're a carer or a volunteer and you have a wish list, please feel free to send a feedback through the app. Also if you have contacts with charities or organisations who care for people with dementia, I'll be grateful if you could put them in touch.

This post is not meant to be a marketing post. I thought some people here might know someone who might find the app useful.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it work for Android? I have a friend who could use this with one of her relatives, but she uses Android, not Apple. Nice idea either way.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. Just realized you said "iPhone" in the title. I'm paying attention, I promise.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpToNoGood View Post
    Does it work for Android? I have a friend who could use this with one of her relatives, but she uses Android, not Apple. Nice idea either way.
    Depending on number of requests, I might consider a similar Android app. This project took me 2 years from inception, learning how to code, coding on my free time in the dining room and finally production. So, even if I do want to produce an Android version, it might take me quite awhile.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is fine if the person with Dimentia:

1)charges their phone
    2)takes it with them
    3)and remembers how to use it

those are the issues I have in caring for someone with Alzheimers.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will take a look at this. I work in a neurorehabilitation center.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post

1)charges their phone
    2)takes it with them

Do you use a GPS device that can be worn around the neck?

I'm aware that this app is not for everyone; but hope that it could be useful for some. I was in Singapore for Mr. Lee KY's (founding member of S'pore) funeral 2 years ago when I read an article about a local man who just forgot his way home; wondered further in his attempt to find his way home. They found his body two weeks later. I made a pledge to do something for the elderly community. I'm no good at volunteering in social care and I'm not rich enough to give lots to charity (like Bill Gates); so, I did what I know best - learn to code and produce an app.

I do not want to give up hope on dementia sufferers. With so much advancement in tech nowadays and near future, surely some use can come out of it; no matter how trivial. As a teenager, I was a school drop out (because of ill health) in Malaysia. My teachers were very helpful but the Ministry of Education rejected my request to repeat the year in school. I had no skill, no training and no future. However, Singapore gave me hope. They gave me a study grant and student loan and trained me up as a technician in Singapore Polytechnic. After working very hard for a few years for Seagate, saving some money and with some kind help from family and friends, I managed to self-fund my further studies in U.K.; eventually graduated with a PhD in engineering. Because of family commitments, I couldn't go back to Singapore. Therefore, I would like to dedicate my app to Singapore for not giving up hope on me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not in any way saying don't do it.
    I moved "home" to be closer to my mother. I found that I could no longer rely on calling her or tracking her on the phone because of the above points I made.

We don't have an GPS for her wrist, or neck but thought about looking into devices but don't need anything for right now.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post

1)charges their phone
    2)takes it with them

Mine, too. My family member constantly either forgets her phone, loses it, or locks herself out of it. I have her "dot" set up on Find My Friends, which is comforting, but most of the time she forgets to bring it or it's out of power.

I can see it being of use to someone in an earlier stage of the disease, but I don't think it would be very beneficial in our family's case. Still, I love that tools are being developed. Now if we could just develop a cure...