1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

School binder recommendations?

Does anyone have suggestions for a well-organized binder for a fourth-grader? 2-3-inches deep, easy to carry, easy to close (Velcro or other closure as long as it's quick), expandable, sturdy. And not super-pricey because child is still prone to misplacing his things. I am frustrated by the choices I've seen so far. At the beginning of the school year I rejected the Trapper Keeper styles because they seemed so bulky and heavy. My guy rejected the plain 3-ring binder with a plastic cover since it has no handles and no organization.

Kiddo currently has two different Case-It styles:

- One has a Velcro closure and has an integrated accordion file, but it does not have an external strap so it's clumsy for him to carry. I wish the accordion file could be detached but still securable, like the insert for the FJN.

- The other has both a strap along the spine and a cross-body strap, but closes with a zipper which means it's hard to close quickly, and very unforgiving of extra papers stuffed inside. It comes with a separate accordion file that cannot be attached to the main binder, which means it will likely get lost at some point. (I will be looking for some kind of accordion file that will clip into the rings, as a work-around.)

I'll probably head over to the office supply store and see what else is out there, but in the meantime if anyone has a specific brand they like, I'm open to recommendations!! Thanks!!

(ETA: And while we're at it, if someone has pictures of a 2- (or 3-)inch binder in a Synapse 25 or a Brain Bag, those would be super-helpful! Thank you!)
    Last edited by haraya; 12-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be to check the desk size personal organizers which are on sale, right about now, for next year.

The ones in the main display of the office supply stores will likely be full price, but check the back for "last year's design" in faux leather or vinyl.

Another source could be Big Lot or Costco, choices of design and color would probably be limited but the price will hopefully reflect that.

To alleviate the boring color problem, I think stickers or scout type badges should enliven a plain black, brown or caramel organizer.

Another solution is to ask Tom and Nik for a SJN: School Journal Notebook.

In the meantime, www.daytimer.com sells 2+inch+Zipper+Binder+with+Expandable+Panel/29052, it is $22 on their website which shows a red one but the color is said to be purple, which tells me that they had them in multiple primary colors, but not anymore. Website below, so you can show the student and ask if the design feels right.
    https://www.daytimer.com/daytimer/br...le+Panel/29052

The only TB bag that has a bit of an issue with letter/A4 binders with a spine wider than an inch is the S19, this is why I wanted the S25.

If you want to go ultra cheap and D.I.Y buy a regular office binder and accordion pockets with velcro closures (on sale), tape the accordion with colorful tape you can buy at the hardware store (colorful ducktape). It will be strong and won't be a huge loss if it is misplaced.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas, thank you!! I will check these out!!