1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com
 
Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Storage, Evernote vs. OneNote and iPad Pro - can you run your life on it?

    Hello there,

    I am thinking to get an iPad Pro (with keyboard) to use as my personal "computer" and ditch my private PC. I was wonering if anyone else in this lovely forum have done this or given it some though?

    My thoughts are:
    I am tied to a PC all day at work, and I dont really want to have a second PC for my private stuff. It's one to many things to lug around (I travel a lot for work). I'd much rather try get all my personal stuff working on an iPad / iPhone combination, sort out some proper cloud storage and ditch my personal PC.

    I already pay all my bills and have all my contacts, passwords, email accounts etc etc on my iPhone. The only personal thing I really use my PC for is excel for private lists, Word occasinally and OneNote. I also use it to store a lot of pictures, old files etc.

    OneNote works fine on iPadPro if I understand correclty, and numbers could replace excel. Not to keen on pages, but I think I could work around that. I use Evernote a lot to, and would ideally use OneNote OR EverNote but cant decide which one...

    I actually think the biggest issue will be file storage. I would need to get some serious cloud storage (need to go w/ apple I guess for the backup etc, but want to look at other options for bulk files. I already use EverNote quite heavily for saving files etc to access from everywhere, and may start using that more. I also dont want to lock myself in at Apple any more than I already have (it may already be to late... but as a last ditch effort...)

    So - any ideas or thoughts on storage options, iPad Pro as your only "computer", Evernote vs OneNote... Input muchly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    35
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use OneNote, so won't comment on that, but I often take my 9.7" iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard with me instead of my laptop. Excel/Numbers works fine with it (Google Sheet has some annoying bugs, though), so I'd say it is a very good option for stuff that doesn't really need a big display (I wouldn't do eg. software engineering on it, except in an emergency).

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    936
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Evernote and love it overall but.......your question seems like a trick question for some reason too?

    I will never try to use a tablet as a main computer and what does that have to do with the header of your question?

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    380
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    Hello there,

    I am thinking to get an iPad Pro (with keyboard) to use as my personal "computer" and ditch my private PC. I was wonering if anyone else in this lovely forum have done this or given it some though?

    My thoughts are:
    I am tied to a PC all day at work, and I dont really want to have a second PC for my private stuff. It's one to many things to lug around (I travel a lot for work). I'd much rather try get all my personal stuff working on an iPad / iPhone combination, sort out some proper cloud storage and ditch my personal PC.

    I already pay all my bills and have all my contacts, passwords, email accounts etc etc on my iPhone. The only personal thing I really use my PC for is excel for private lists, Word occasinally and OneNote. I also use it to store a lot of pictures, old files etc.

    OneNote works fine on iPadPro if I understand correclty, and numbers could replace excel. Not to keen on pages, but I think I could work around that. I use Evernote a lot to, and would ideally use OneNote OR EverNote but cant decide which one...

    I actually think the biggest issue will be file storage. I would need to get some serious cloud storage (need to go w/ apple I guess for the backup etc, but want to look at other options for bulk files. I already use EverNote quite heavily for saving files etc to access from everywhere, and may start using that more. I also dont want to lock myself in at Apple any more than I already have (it may already be to late... but as a last ditch effort...)

    So - any ideas or thoughts on storage options, iPad Pro as your only "computer", Evernote vs OneNote... Input muchly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    I don't have EverNote or OneNote but I have had a similar conversation with myself about only using an iPad and not replacing my 9 year old laptop when it eventually is unusable. Like you, the vast majority of things I can do on the iPad, but for me the sticking point is photo storage. I have over 200gb of photos and videos, backed up twice to external drives. I will not pay Apple for cloud storage, my home connection is too slow and I want to manage my own storage locally.

    I suppose with a 512GB iPad I could put them all on there, but if I am getting an iPad with that much storage, it is only a small additional cost for an actual laptop. I do wish for some sort of Apple version of one of those PC laptops with the detachable touch screen.

    Anyway, more to your point, for non photo files I would primarily employ the Google Suite, but I hope you get some replies from Evernote/OneNote users.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there, no trick question intended!

    The title is confusing when I think about it - sorry about that - I just intended to check if anyone out there uses an iOS device like the iPadPro as their only device for personal stuff - so nothing work related, and if so what tools they use, and if anyone has any arguments why it is not possible or not a good idea. I dont see any techincal or practical reason why I shouldent be able to do everything required in daily life (again - not work) on an iPadPro with a smart keyboard as I pretty much rely on my iPhone as it is anyways, and only reach for a laptop for work or if I need a bigger screen for some reason.

    Hope that clarifies things!


    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I use Evernote and love it overall but.......your question seems like a trick question for some reason too?

    I will never try to use a tablet as a main computer and what does that have to do with the header of your question?

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    38
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

    I pretty much have the same sticking point (amazing how many photos I seem to have taken..). You are right - the more I think about it the only "easy" solution would be to store them in Apples cloud.... which is not really where I want to go ideally (but perhaps will in the name of convinience). Also if stored on a 512GB iPad the backing up of the iPad in it's entirety to external devices would become slow and cumbersome.... Hmmmm.

    Now that I think about it this would become quite the little data migration project in itself... gather all old photos and files, organize, store, backup, backup the backup... lucky I am not only mildly organizationally OCD, I am also swedish and have no actual sunlight til April so have a couple of months to complete

    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I have over 200gb of photos and videos, backed up twice to external drives. I will not pay Apple for cloud storage, my home connection is too slow and I want to manage my own storage locally.

    I suppose with a 512GB iPad I could put them all on there, but if I am getting an iPad with that much storage, it is only a small additional cost for an actual laptop.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    936
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I apologize,I shouldn't reply to posts before having any coffee at 5 am probably?!

    Anyway I just am not in a mindset where I want to run my life by poking a screen.

    I have a life where my work and life are intertwined entirely and it is not practical to consider trying to separate them really but aside from that I simply am not in love with using any tablet for almost anything ever.

    I have been carrying a 12" Macbook for a year or so now and it is no bigger than an iPad and the computer paradigm is what I am used to and this is working for me.
    I need make no adjustments in software at all and there is a seamless hand-off from the desktop to portable all the time.
    The KB does suck badly but then so does my interaction with it mostly.

    I wish they realized that some of us DO NEED actual ports for some work but that ship has sadly already sailed it seems.

    Regardless of that and to my use of Evernote I find that I have always had to modify or adapt templates within organizers to me rather than my being able to adapt to them overall.
    There is just no "Form" to free form info management that will work for everything for me and I get more easily frustrated the longer I try to get software to work the way I want it to.
    So I end up "rigging" things to hold what I need which works but is ever ideal either.

    I use a little Microsoft software as possible so Evernote it is for me!
    I mainly rely on Evernote to have detailed client info available on my iPhone as needed and for that it works well.

    YMMV though as many are trying to do as you are considering,it just involves too many compromises for my needs right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    Hello there, no trick question intended!

    The title is confusing when I think about it - sorry about that - I just intended to check if anyone out there uses an iOS device like the iPadPro as their only device for personal stuff - so nothing work related, and if so what tools they use, and if anyone has any arguments why it is not possible or not a good idea. I dont see any techincal or practical reason why I shouldent be able to do everything required in daily life (again - not work) on an iPadPro with a smart keyboard as I pretty much rely on my iPhone as it is anyways, and only reach for a laptop for work or if I need a bigger screen for some reason.

    Hope that clarifies things!
    Last edited by AVService; 12-07-2017 at 05:58 AM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,695
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used all Apple products for most of my "digital life". However (except for certain apps like photos and contacts), I have used Google for a long time to organize my personal stuff. Google calendar, Google docs, and Google Sheets. I liked the concept because their apps are cross-platform and work on so many devices.

    However, as you mention, regarding the iPad vs computer question, the file storage issue can be an annoyance. For this reason I have a personal laptop at home for storing certain things (particularly my genealogy work), but when I travel I just take my phone and it is fine for organizing most aspects of my life. I actually do prefer to keep personal docs in the cloud for this reason, because they are accessible everywhere. And I don't find it very expensive. I also have Evernote, but probably will phase that out in favor of just usingle Google Docs, for simplicity. However, I keep really important documents on Dropbox as well, as a backup in case I ever lose access to Google for whatever reason. The version of DB I have is free.

    Those are my scattered early-morning (in the US) thoughts. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-07-2017 at 06:32 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    128
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More scattered thoughts:

    I use my tablet 99.9% of the time but do use the PC when I need to do any work that requires a full screen - photo manipulation, graphics, etc. but when my PC dies, I’m not sure I’ll get another one. Maybe a Surface or similar but maintaining additional screens at home?

    I have used Evernote, OneNote, google docs, etc., but find I go back to Excel, etc., when I want to do something quickly. Old dog, new tricks, I guess...

    lIf you have Amazon Prime, you can store unlimited files on their cloud. I have all my photos, from iPhone and PC, backing up there.
    Luminary with a MCB Freudian Slip or Cache, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, multiple PCSB and OP in lots of pretty colors

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    99
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a macbook air as my personal device... it's better than the ipad pro is some respects and worse in others, but it works for me.. I like using a 'real' keyboard and find that the air is so light & small compared to the behemoth work laptop, that I'm happy with that
    Mostly I use it for typing personal emails, web browsing, etc. I don't like the apple ecosystem for many things (looking at you iphoto & itunes) so I'm trying to get my stuff back out of that storage

    My cell is a first gen google pixel because my most used tools are calendar, mail, and maps and I wanted up to date android... over a year in and so far it's been great... they also have limitless photo storage I believe

    I use Evernote for simple notes/checklists and google docs for larger/more complete files...both of which are easy to access on the mac via browser and ap

  11. #11
    Forum Member Kerrpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    110
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you can "run your life on it" is really going to be up to you.
    I'm completely non-Apple, so I can't comment on that but I think an iPad would be too limited for me. My Surface pro is as stripped down as I could go, but I still have a PC for photography and games. (Theoretically, I could probably do both on my Surface, and they did make a docking station for a larger monitor.)
    I've been a OneNote poweruser since 2007, so I do know you CAN run your life out of that! But I still keep storage space via OneDrive so I know I won't lose those notebooks. Not sure how that works on an iPad, but it would be an unmitigated disaster if I lost those.

    I've tried Evernote, but the two are actually pretty different, and OneNote just fits me far better. So, again, it comes back to your personal workflow.
    “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi from the UK
    I’m using an iPad Air 2 for all my personal stuff which currently includes 4082 digital photos which are stored on my Microsoft OneDrive, and which costs £1.99 per month (about $2.68). I also store my other documents on there. Photos are also stored on the Apple iCloud as well as Google, which is maybe overkill.
    I have access to the whole Microsoft suite because my employer uses Microsoft under and Enterprise agreement which means I get to use the software as a home user.
    I have plenty of games as well as an amazing home finance app from the Apple App Store to manage all my banking needs (Account Tracker Pro). I really don’t miss a laptop and only use one when I need to connect some Midi equipment that only works on a PC.
    I say go for it!
    Cadet(EDC), Large Café Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again
    Sorry, I forgot to comment on Evernote, which I have used but stopped and now use OneNote which is as good in my view.
    Cadet(EDC), Large Café Bag, WesternFlyer w. Packing cubes, Side Effect, Small Travel Tray, Clear Organiser Wallet.

  14. #14
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    128
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year ago I switched to using only an iPad as my computer. I have an iPad mini only because that is what I prefer. Couple of recommendations to make it work. 1. Get a Bluetooth keyboard 2. I use Google docs for all documents, actually I use Google for most things 3. I store anything else on a 256 GB thumb drive which I can access via work or library computer if need be 4. I store all photos and important digital files on Dropbox, I do this anyways due to living on the gulf coast and getting hurricanes every few years. Lastly (5.) I have pencil by 53 as a stylus, honestly, I would be fine without this, but I like to draw on my ipad. Since I do 90% of everything on my phone and the other 10% on my iPad it was not much of a leap to go no computer. The only things that can't be done on an iPad is apply for jobs (not needed) and tax software (once a year). I have a great local library with a computer lab on the off chance that I need a full computer twice a year.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    139
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's jump back to the original question for a second, First off, about excel/word:

    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    .... The only personal thing I really use my PC for is excel for private lists, Word occasinally and OneNote. I also use it to store a lot of pictures, old files etc.

    OneNote works fine on iPadPro if I understand correclty, and numbers could replace excel. Not to keen on pages, but I think I could work around that....
    Excel, Word, etc are available on the IOS ecosystem, and all for free, though you'll need an Office 365 subscription if you want to unlock all the features. I can't speak to how well it is to create stuff suing them, as I mostly just have them in order to view Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc... documents I get from work. I don't like the conversion Apple does to those when opening in Numbers, Pages, etc...

    Secondly, about storage:

    Quote Originally Posted by Apresski View Post
    ...I actually think the biggest issue will be file storage. I would need to get some serious cloud storage (need to go w/ apple I guess for the backup etc, but want to look at other options for bulk files. I already use EverNote quite heavily for saving files etc to access from everywhere, and may start using that more. I also dont want to lock myself in at Apple any more than I already have (it may already be to late... but as a last ditch effort...)

    So - any ideas or thoughts on storage options, iPad Pro as your only "computer", Evernote vs OneNote... Input muchly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    There's many things you can do about storage to keep your costs down. First off, there's a wealth of free options for cloud storage, as long as you don't mind organizing your stuff among different providers. A quick google search turned up this:

    Free instant-access online storage
    • Google Drive: 15GB free
    • Box: 10GB free
    • OneDrive: 5GB free (1TB for students)
    • iCloud: 5GB free
    • Dropbox: 2GB free, plus up to 16GB extra
    • Amazon Drive: 5GB + unltd photos with Prime
    (information provided by https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sh...online-storage)

    So, there's 40+ GB you wouldn't have to pay for, with your files spread around, that you can access while you're out and about. However, I wouldn't rely on a just cloud based storage to protect my files. I'd also look at some form of network storage to be your true backup. Many home based routers provide options for hanging an external drive or if not, several are available out there. If you want to have your files with you, there are portable solutions too, for instance, I know one guy who has all of his digital copies of movies saved to a wireless seagate drive that he uses in his trailer when camping.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •