Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: USB C Pledge

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB C Pledge

For too long, we've suffered under the yolk of consumer companies giving us too many chargers. Right now, I'm traveling with:

• USB C: Phone and portable battery
    • Micro USB: Wifi repeater/LTE hotspot, Kindle, bluetooth adapter, camera, etc.
    • Mini USB: Toothbrush (dammit, Philips)
    • Lightning: Magic Mouse
    • Magsafe 90W: Laptop
    • 17 VDC: Bose bluetooth speaker
    • Proprietary: Chromebook

This is getting infuriating. Every one of these devices could be USB C. Granted, some are too old for that, but using a proprietary "lightning" cable to charge a mouse is an affront to human dignity, Apple! And my Bose speaker has a MicroUSB port, but it can't be used for charging -- not even slow charging. Why? Because Bose hates its customers, that's why. And why wouldn't a Chromebook have a proprietary adapter? And Philips -- my electronic DiamondClean $200 toothbrush ships with a cable from like 2005. What is that?! Like half the weight in my bag is chargers at this point.

I say no more. From now on, I am only buying electronics that charge with USB C. Who is with me on this?

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings bouncing,
    My sympathies. At one point, my hair accessories, electronics and their assorted chargers, converters, and adapters were heavier than all my other clothing and gear combined. Just the converters, chargers and cords filled an 8x10x3 inch bag. I cried foul, too.

I switched to USB only. It started when I got the iPhone 3G. Apple had a travel converter kit that was excellent. Then my phone upgraded to the lightning cable. Guess I need to see about an adapter for the travel kit. Now that phones screens are large enough, I can leave my tablet home. Luckily, I am able to travel without a computer.

Since I switched to the USB only rule, my entire electronics kit fits in the Cubelet or a size small Q-Kit. There is even room for a travel nightlight and a flashlight. Everything is compact, lightweight, and fits in any bag.

Please share the USB brands/products that you prefer. Good luck! elisa

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings bouncing,
    My sympathies. At one point, my hair accessories, electronics and their assorted chargers, converters, and adapters were heavier than all my other clothing and gear combined. Just the converters, chargers and cords filled an 8x10x3 inch bag. I cried foul, too.

I switched to USB only. It started when I got the iPhone 3G. Apple had a travel converter kit that was excellent. Then my phone upgraded to the lightning cable. Guess I need to see about an adapter for the travel kit. Now that phones screens are large enough, I can leave my tablet home. Luckily, I am able to travel without a computer.

Since I switched to the USB only rule, my entire electronics kit fits in the Cubelet or a size small Q-Kit. There is even room for a travel nightlight and a flashlight. Everything is compact, lightweight, and fits in any bag.

Please share the USB brands/products that you prefer. Good luck! elisa
    You know, picking a small organizer of some kind and requiring all chargers go in it is probably the way to go. It would be a good exercise in forcing me to downsize.

Forum Member
    Minnesota
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things I enjoy about traveling with, and only now owning, Apple products (for their many faults) is being able to charge everything with a lightning cable. My phone, charger, and AirPods all charge with one cable which is a great thing. One less thing to carry and worry about.

I do agree about the USB-C. I wish there truly was a “universal” port, at least for devices smaller than laptops.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me!
    You just gotta love the hoax that is "Universal" in the USB myth.

I have been carrying the 12" Macbook for a while on the road and it has nothing but a single USB-C port and it feels like either end of it might break off every single time I plug anything in to it?
    Every time I connect anything including the stupid docks that I need to connect everything it feels like this could be the time the connector shears off inside the computer!
    There is no way I will ever accept this connector as my true love,NEVER!!!!

This incompatibility is just the way it works and even if there was some theoretical consensus down the road I can't imagine Apple,Microsoft ad everyone else using the same connections that are all compatible regardless of how they try to put lipstick on it.

I got a small convertible 2 in 1 computer in Denver over Thanksgiving and to my horror its memory storage slot was one of those tiny ones that you can barely even see!
    I actually have a tough time grasping them with my hands much less using the things all the time for backup storage.
    At least they did go into the computer all the way so no part sticks out but come on,no one else has done this yet and what is the point exactly?

Anyway I just see this as an opportunity to buy more tiny pouches to keep it all sorted out!

Making Lemonade with this if I can.
    Last edited by AVService; 12-08-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I travel with only a couple of cables. 2 lightning cables, (which I could manage with one if need be and alternate charging iPhone and iPad) and my apple watch charger all fit in a Mini-OP. Laptop brick is a necessity of work and comes along for the ride. I also travel with a single dual-port USB adapter, (Native Union).

Any other wireless devices I have I don't charge. Electric shaver? 2 AA, Toothbrush? 1 AA, Microsoft Arc Mouse? 2 AAA. Usually readily available wherever I've traveled, but often I'm aware when their batteries are getting low well enough in advance on one trip to swap them out before the next trip when they might finally die.

All that other stuff you've listed (Kindle, Bluetooth, speakers, etc...) I just don't bother bringing anymore. Saves tons of room between not needing their chargers, and not bringing the actual device itself.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    I do agree about the USB-C. I wish there truly was a “universal” port, at least for devices smaller than laptops.
    The beauty of it though is that with a maximum of 20 amps at 5 volts, you get 100 watts -- enough to charge even Core i7 laptops.

So if you bring a 100W USB C charger, you should be able to charge everything from your phone to your Nintendo Switch to your laptop with it. If only everyone adopted it, that is.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Not me!
    You just gotta love the hoax that is "Universal" in the USB myth.

I have been carrying the 12" Macbook for a while on the road and it has nothing but a single USB-C port and it feels like either end of it might break off every single time I plug anything in to it?
    Well yeah, #donglelife is pretty bad. I thoroughly disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB A and ethernet ports from the Mac. Other manufacturers are making similarly thin laptops with traditional ports.

But in terms of USB C's durability. I don't know, everyone is invested in it, I presume they know how to engineer it. For what it's worth, the good connectors should be made from extruded metal without seams. You can tell by looking at the port and seeing whether you see any seams. If you don't, it's well-made.

Anyway... Magsafe is an amazing connector. But I would happily give it up if it meant I could charge my phone with my computer's charger. And on my next computer, I suspect I will.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Well yeah, #donglelife is pretty bad. I thoroughly disagree with Apple's decision to remove USB A and ethernet ports from the Mac. Other manufacturers are making similarly thin laptops with traditional ports.

But in terms of USB C's durability. I don't know, everyone is invested in it, I presume they know how to engineer it. For what it's worth, the good connectors should be made from extruded metal without seams. You can tell by looking at the port and seeing whether you see any seams. If you don't, it's well-made.

Anyway... Magsafe is an amazing connector. But I would happily give it up if it meant I could charge my phone with my computer's charger. And on my next computer, I suspect I will.
    I am pretty sure that you have already given it up whether knowing it or not.
    Didn't they stop using Mag-Safe for some other idiotic reason with the new Touch Bar Mac?

Electronic Connections are my life and the Mag-Safe was truly the only one that made good sense for portable use to me.

All of the others come and go and only in hind site do we get to yearn for what worked and be frustrated by the latest "Last" connector they will ever need?
    The cable ends are one thing but have you seen how they are terminated inside the computer?
    Not inspiring to say the least.
    I am afraid they are "Universal" all right but not in a good way usually.

Every manufacturer is invested in making disposable machines as they are not making them easier to service I can assure you.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    The cable ends are one thing but have you seen how they are terminated inside the computer?
    Not inspiring to say the least.
    A metal tongue has the interface that, inside the computer, inserts into the connector on the cable, right? How's that different from USB A or B, or Micro USB?

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry 4 cables everywhere:

2 iphone / ipad cables
    1 USB C to charge my external charger
    1 garmin charger for my watch-I use this far less often but when I need it Iím so grateful I have it!
    Wall plug and car plug
    They all fit in a tiny qkit with plenty of room to spare and I hardly notice them.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definitely with AVService on the 'why the *$^^£% did they kill off MagSafe?' front. My 12" MacBook has been hoicked off a table on at least 3 occasions so far.

Having said which, the durability of the USB-C connector is not as horrible as it could be. On two of those occasions the cable was jerked free of the laptop. On the third, the cable and laptop went down together - admittedly onto carpet; the cable connector was bent at a 30 degree angle, and that cable was completely dead. However, the connector inside the computer was undamaged. Replace cable, everything still works. I have a faint recollection of seeing a teardown picture of the 12" MacBook which showed that even internally, the USB-C connector is just a 'stub' secured to the inside of the casing - with a short internal 'tail' cable plugged into the logic board. OK, so not ideal if the connector stub in the laptop is fatally damaged and you need to get it repaired, but at least it wouldn't involve a new logic board, unlike the soldered-on power connector on one of my previous laptops which took the motherboard with it when it got a serious yank.

I've also had an iPad with a lightning cable plugged into it get knocked off a table onto the floor. The tongue of the lightning cable snapped off and was left - by design, by the look of it - captive in the lightning socket on the iPad with a short section protruding which was just enough to get a grip on it and pull it out. iPad still fine, cable (obviously) dead.

Thank heavens we're no longer in the old days of multipin connectors secured in their sockets with thumbscrews!
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in the love usb c camp...but it does seem adoption excruciatingly slow. I have yet to find any hubs or chargers with multiple usb c ports. There aren’t any smaller portable batteries with c. I am trying to use C only and it’s tough. I’d rather pack a c to a dongle than extra charger but the goal is to ditch those too. The c chargers are a bit bigger than the old a ones still.

All Apple products should ship with C on the opposite end of the lightning port like MacBook does.