Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plastic bags banned in Boston

Plastic bags aren't banned exactly, but there will be a fee for them in stores. I've experienced this in the UK, and while it was a shock at first, I quickly got used to it and think it's a good incentive to remember to carry your own.

At least those of us in the TB community will be prepared. I have been using the Pop Tote sometimes if I know I have a lot of errands planned, but on a more practical level, carrying either a TB Shop Bag or something smaller on an almost-daily basis anyway, for unexpected shopping stops. I have one very small and cheap shopping bag, so tiny that it folds easily into the smaller of the two Q-kits, that has inexplicably lasted for years.

I guess I'm just excited that this law is retroactively validating my collection of shopping bags.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-17-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have this in San Francisco, and it is good motivation to bring bags or keep a stash in the car. The stores like Target do have plastic bags for a 10c fee, and they tend to be fairly hardy and hold up for multiple uses. I still keep a few for packing shoes when I travel - the plastic bags from the farmer's market are good for this as well, if they are clean after you unpack your fruits and vegetables. Lately, though, I take the Moveable Feast for the farmer's market.

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravo to Boston! Every city/state should adopt these principles.

It is so easy to get into the habit of carrying your own bag.

While I do have TB shop bags that I use at the grocery, I like using a Side Effect for my EDC when on other shopping jaunts where I don't want to carry a big bag, so a smaller, more compact bag is necessary for me.

Some options:

CHICO BAG
    https://www.chicobag.com/category-original-18

WORKHORSE by REUSIT:
    reuseit Workhorse Reusable Multi-use Grocery Bag | Reusable Shopping Bags | ReUseIt | Reuseit

When stuffed into it's included bag, each fits into the palm of my hand, and into the main compartment of the SE.
    Last edited by anna2222; 12-17-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ban is pretty much throughout California - you also get charged in Fresno.

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unrelated but also somewhat related: I did a big pre-holiday grocery shop today and managed to fill up all the Large Shop Bags I had on hand, so ended up with one flimsy grocery store plastic bag. When I got home and unloaded the car, the inevitable happened: the non-TB plastic bag ripped wide open, depositing two jars of onions onto my concrete garage floor, where they promptly shattered.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Bag tax or no bag tax, it is worth ever cent I have poured into TB shop bags. Those things have eliminated so much pain and brought me so much joy that people have started looking at me strangely when I start to talk about them.

I just need one more of them, apparently.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Synik 22/Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay Boston! Plymouth banned last year and I’m already finding fewer bags on my litter sweeps. Now if we could only ban those ridiculous nip bottles...
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a few towns in Maine also charge for bags, people grumbled for a bit but it has helped keep things more clean.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve had similar here for a couple of years now. The grocery store chains offer cheap reusable bags/boxes that most people use. I personally use the folding boxes, as they hold the groceries upright when in the bed of the pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local supermarket has been giving customers a 5 cents per bag discount if they bring their own bags for a while now. They are moving towards charging 10 cents for each plastic bag, starting sometime next year.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was raised by Depression Era-minded parents. My dad was arguably even born in the Depression, depending on how you measure it, but they were both products of Depression Era thinking. To them, a free plastic bag was something of value, so over the years of my childhood the bag of plastic bags grew and grew in our garages until it reached absurd proportions. My dad, a physicist, probably thought about the decay of plastic and eventually threw the whole thing out only for it to start again.

So... yeah. Smilie

I am curious how long the Shop Bag from Tom Bihn would last. I know most of my friends seem to use those canvas shop bags they have at stores for about six months before throwing them away, which in my estimation, probably makes them far worse than disposable bags. I also have concerns about disinfecting grocery store bags. Anyone put a TB shop bag through the wash??

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    We have this in San Francisco, and it is good motivation to bring bags or keep a stash in the car. The stores like Target do have plastic bags for a 10c fee, and they tend to be fairly hardy and hold up for multiple uses. I still keep a few for packing shoes when I travel - the plastic bags from the farmer's market are good for this as well, if they are clean after you unpack your fruits and vegetables. Lately, though, I take the Moveable Feast for the farmer's market.
    Oh, Target has the best plastic bags. No holes, thick plastic, pleasant to use.

I used to shop for groceries at Target just for those bags sometimes. As a dog owner, having a grocery bag that definitely doesn't have holes is a win! Smilie �� ��

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I am curious how long the Shop Bag from Tom Bihn would last. I know most of my friends seem to use those canvas shop bags they have at stores for about six months before throwing them away, which in my estimation, probably makes them far worse than disposable bags. I also have concerns about disinfecting grocery store bags. Anyone put a TB shop bag through the wash??
    Ha ha. I love the idea of the giant ball of plastic bags consuming your garage.
    The TB Shop Bags last for quite a while. Def. more than 6 months. I can't remember exactly how old mine are, but I'm sure I've had some for over a year, if not two. I wash mine periodically, though I do it by hand, by dipping them in a bucket of hot water and some detergent, rather than putting them through the washer. I'd think that too much washing could mean the Nikwax (waterproof) coating would have to be replaced.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Ha ha. I love the idea of the giant ball of plastic bags consuming your garage.
    The TB Shop Bags last for quite a while. Def. more than 6 months. I can't remember exactly how old mine are, but I'm sure I've had some for over a year, if not two. I wash mine periodically, though I do it by hand, by dipping them in a bucket of hot water and some detergent, rather than putting them through the washer. I'd think that too much washing could mean the Nikwax (waterproof) coating would have to be replaced.
    Yeah, it would after a few washes, though I don't know if you really need waterproof coating on a shop bag.

So according to The Atlantic, you would need to use one of those cotton grocery bags 327 times to make it greener, in terms of carbon, than disposable bags. If you shop for groceries once a week, that's six and a half years of grocery shopping.

I'm not sure what it would be for a Tom Bihn bags. Does anyone know how many kilograms of carbon go into producing halcyon dyneema?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to think about.
    I just find the Shop Bag more pleasant to walk around with than plastic bags. It's a tactile thing. Plus it looks nicer.
    If I truly wanted to be "green", I'd probably quit flying :;
    --
    edit: Also, on aesthetic and cleanliness level, the canvas bags never appealed to me. Doesn't it seem like that material would pick up food stains as well as dirt from wherever it is set down? The TB Shop bags are at least water-repellent, as are the thinner type of polyester bags that Anna linked to in the post above, which I also use. So any food or environmental residue slides off, or can be washed off with a quick rinse.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Yeah, it would after a few washes, though I don't know if you really need waterproof coating on a shop bag.

So according to The Atlantic, you would need to use one of those cotton grocery bags 327 times to make it greener, in terms of carbon, than disposable bags. If you shop for groceries once a week, that's six and a half years of grocery shopping.

I'm not sure what it would be for a Tom Bihn bags. Does anyone know how many kilograms of carbon go into producing halcyon dyneema?
    Don't put your TB bags in the washing machine, it will void the warranty! Something about the spin cycle forcing water through the waterproof coating.

Reusable bags may have a larger carbon footprint than disposable, but there will be far fewer of them floating around in the ocean, being consumed by fish and ending up in our own bodies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast