Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Are You Carrying--Welcome to 2018 Edition

It's been a while since we've had a new "What Are You Carrying?" post so I thought I'd start one up. For those new to the idea, here's a run down.

How to play: respond to each of the questions; answering the Optional Bonus Questions are, as the name implies, optional.

~~~~~~

What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    What are you reading?
    What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)?
    What are you listening to?
    What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    What are you making/creating/doing?
    What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?

Optional Bonus Questions:
    If time, money, skills, etc were not a concern, what is the one thing you'd like most to do this year?
    What is the top destination on your travel bucket list?
    What is you number one TB wish list item (practical, impractical, funny, it's all good but you can only choose one item).
    Last edited by jess; 01-03-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same EDC as always (Imago), but I added a new accessory with a Cubelet in Grass (which I love!)

What are you reading?
    Just finished The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi and am so bummed I have to wait so long for the sequel. I'm about to start a true crime book called Cold a Long Time by John Leake. I'll soon be re-reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, but this time in graphic novel form. (Tangential, but this book has one of my favorite reading stories attached to it. I read it straight through in one sitting--just couldn't put it down. At the time, I was living with my brother, and we worked opposite shifts, so I left it on the kitchen counter with a sticky note that said: "I stayed up all night reading this. I think you'll like it." The next day it was back on the counter with a note from him saying, "damn you, I never got to sleep because I had to read the whole book!")

Just started an Icelandic crime procedural called Trapped on Amazon Prime Video. So far, I really like it. I also just watched Bright on Netflix and am conflicted about it...

Streaming an old favorite: Radio Paradise, along with the local NPR station.

Lots of coffee to keep myself awake on these short winter days. I have an order of a case of red wine from Argentina coming today, so that's next on my adult beverage menu.

Last arty thing I did was creating a 2018 calendar as a Christmas gift for my grandma using photos from my trip to Germany in September. She really liked it, but couldn't believe I'd taken them myself... not sure if that's a compliment, or not. LOL

Just work travel planned so far, to San Francisco and DC. I am really, really, hoping for either Ukraine or Georgia as a vacation spot this year.

If time, money, skills, etc were not a concern, what is the one thing you'd like most to do this year?
    Make a long-hoped for trip to New Zealand with my BFF, where we rent an RV and just wander. This encompasses all three, time and $ are obvious, but I very much doubt my ability to successfully drive an RV, and drive it on the "wrong" side of the road.

Not a single place, but I have always wanted to do a trip via the Trans-Mongolian train between Moscow and Beijing.

What is you number one TB wish list item (practical, impractical, funny, it's all good but you can only choose one item).
    As always, for the Imago to come back Wink
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying?

The Synapse 25 in olive green/ultraviolet
    Side effects in aubergine/wasabi
    A30 packing cube backpack in Ultraviolet
    Packing cube side bag in Sitka
    A host of trays and pouches

What are you reading?
    The house of Janus by Donald James, the city of ember and End of Watch by Stephen King

Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix, new season of Xfiles once it starts and Ripper Street

Audiobook of End of Watch, The Beatles number 1's album

Lazy Magnolia craft beer, I don't really "do cooking"

Got an awesome, challenging dot-to-dot at holiday time, I do plastic canvas tchotchkes, wordsearchs, logic puzzles and soduku

Not sure, possibly a month long European road trip, possibly a road trip to Niagara Falls, I am currently at Disney World in Florida for Marathon weekend

Road trip through Europe for the entire summer ending passage on the orient express train (I am a teacher)

Greece, England, and Thailand

I wish for Sitka travel trays

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 01-03-2018 at 11:23 AM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already that time again, 'eh?

I just swapped back from my Guide's Pack (Navy/Steel) to my Synapse 25 (Navy/Iberian). I've an item that I really like and am excited about but can't talk about. Wink

What are you reading?
    My wife got me Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman, so I'm reading that interspersed with Red Markets -- which is one of the few Kickstarters that I've backed that subscribed on time. Smilie

I haven't really been watching anything so I'm going to fill in, as is tradition, what I've been playing:
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartending Action -- I'm having more fun with this one than I expected. It's a pretty chill story game.
    My Summer Car -- This game is eccentric and quietly hilarious. My favorite story from the game so far is that I was working on my car and realized I was hungry, so I went to grab some food and drinks from the shop down the road. I came home to my house burned to the ground because I forgot to turn off the sauna when I left.
    Subsurface Circular -- I cool little investigative game with an interesting twist of being an AI tied to a specific terminal line. A quick and interesting game.

I've been listening to Who Is She?'s Seattle Gossip album by a lot lately.
    Podcast-wise, mostly just The Mixed Six.

Two Beers down the way has had some really good seasonals this year -- right now they have an Oud Bruin of their own making on tap that is just delicious. Earlier they had a really great dark sour made with their Jive Espresso Stout and dark cherries that was great.

Food-wise, I made some pretty ugly-looking (I'm not very good at pleating dumplings...) but delicious char siu bao -- I plan on stopping back by the store and buying some frozen ones and seeing how they stack up to my homemade ones.

Honestly, I haven't been doing too much creatively lately. I've been helping my wife a little while she learns to code but all of her accomplishments are her own, I'm just nudging in the right direction when I can. Smilie

We'll have a sparse travel year, but I am (for realsies this time) going to go on an Alaska cruise in early autumn this year.

I really want to start writing more scenarios for roleplaying games. I just need to allocate the time for it.

The top of my bucket list is probably a Belgium/Germany/Czech Republic road-trip -- mostly for the beer, architecture, and museums.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kathryn, great story about the Graveyard Book. I read it this year on Halloween and loved it.

What am I carrying- Lumiinary with SE. I carry my iPhone 8s in the back pocket along with my hobonichi. Today I’ve added a small snake charmer that I keep loaded with babysitting supplies.

What am I reading- Midwives by Bohjalian. My 2018 Goodreads challenge has me reading books long shelved as “to-read”

What am I listening to- The Trespasser by Tana French.

What am I eating, etc - trying for a healthy start to the year so I’ve put the alcohol away. Sigh...

What am I creating- not much lately. Have to get back to my quilting.

Travel destinations- lots of family obligations in NY, Chicago, and Dallas but we’ve got a biking vacation planned in the Netherlands!

Top destination on my travel bucket list - Tanzania!
    Last edited by Traveltech; 01-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - EDC right now is Side Effect with COW.
    What are you reading?
    - the first Cork O’Connor book is active, also have a main heavy read going that takes time
    - the Horizon Zero Dawn channel, interspersed with Molten Metal vids and Monk reruns (eta: hubs is the gamer, but I’m a vocal observer)
    - Hawaiian reggae and 1970s funk
    - water
    - doing my first brioche knit to replace hub's scarf, have a beaded lace shawl on standby
    - need to plan for 25th anniversary trip. Maybe the train from Toronto to Halifax to finish the “train across Canada” journey

- write full time
    - take the Nat Geo train tour from Amsterdam to Basil, catch the Harry Potter studio tour, and visit my meter of earth at Laphroiag distillery
    - antigravity material that halves weight of bag and contents (not asking much, right?)
    Last edited by Mondobongo; 01-03-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Montana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you reading?
    - the first Cork O’Connor book is active, also have a main heavy read going that takes time

I love those books! I've read them all. The next Cork O'Connor book, called Desolation Mountain, will be out in August.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --S19 black/canyon with new frame sheet, mini q-kits, and cubelets as my EDC for work
    --deep blue pop tote as my gym bag (works great!)

What are you reading?
    --just reread Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, in honor of Hogswatchnight...and that instilled an urge to reread Thief of Time, because of Susan Sto Helit

--don't have a TV and not much into streaming... sometimes I go out to a pub and watch football (the American kind)

--80's music

--wild sockeye salmon in parchment, with spinach & sun dried tomato, to have cold over salad for lunch tomorrow

--I'm part of an 'altered book' circle and I make jewelry

--Los Angeles, Portland OR, Atlanta - all before summer, haven't planned after that yet

--travel the world, starting with Easter Island and some of the other very hard to get to places...

--changes day to day...but besides all the amazing terrestrial places I've never been, it would be amazing to go into space and see our beautiful blue marble and experience what they call the 'overview effect'

What is you number one TB wish list item (practical, impractical, funny, it's all good but you can only choose one item)
    --custom bag (mix & match the current fabric colours, like how the new Guide's S25 is two tone)

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - What bag/accessories are you carrying (items + colors, pics always welcome)?
    Mostly my trusty BH/island SK (edc), BH/UV S25 (work) and BH/NWS SA (short trips). I broke my foot a couple weeks back, so my original halcyon DLBP has become...basically an appendage, keeping all the various bits and bobs to stay occupied and comfortable close by and contained.

- What are you reading?
    Black Privilege by Charlamagne tha God (sometimes you want candy! It/he piqued my interest after I listened to an interview with him recently

- What are you watching (TV, movies, theatre, etc.)?
    just finished up season 4 of black mirror tonight, and I’ve been re-watching curb your enthusiasm in its entirety for like...the millionth time.

- What are you listening to?
    lots of white noise because my cats have been especially vocal and wild the last few days (full moon!). not being able to drive for a while has put a damper on my podcast and music listening since those are two things I really enjoy doing together.

- What are you cooking/baking/drinking?
    not much recently, but I’m just now getting mobile enough to start cooking a little again. chicken and rice soup from scratch is one of my specialties, and I think I’m going to make a monster pot of it this weekend since I’ve been specifically craving that for weeks.

- What are you making/creating/doing?
    mostly working on healing a bone and making / refining packing lists for the trips I’ve got coming up, gonna be a busy travel year!

- What travel destinations are on the horizon for you?
    two trips to CA (once for the annual vacation my other half and I take, this time to LA and San Diego, and once in August to visit family in Sacramento. I haven’t been back to sacto (or seen many of these people) in over 20 years! there will be other short trips around the Midwest for shows and family things too. I’m especially looking forward to taking Amtrak up to Chicago in March (first time! usually travel there by car, instead) to see one of my favorite bands (nada surf) play one of my all-time favorite albums (let go) from start to finish!

- If time, money, skills, etc were not a concern, what is the one thing you'd like most to do this year?
    rally racing school! a kinda expensive family trip that was planned for this year was postponed indefinitely after I’d already earmarked some vacation days and a pile of money for it, so I miiiiiight just make this one happen! the school I’m leaning toward (which uses a beastlier version of my everyday car) is near Seattle, too, so I may manage to visit the mothership in 2018 yet!

- What is the top destination on your travel bucket list?
    EVERYWHERE, I’ve got the itch to go places but time is forever an issue. a leave of absence from my job to travel is forever swirling around my mind...

- What is you number one TB wish list item (practical, impractical, funny, it's all good but you can only choose one item).
    Black halcyon shop bag with a zipper and attachment points for a shoulder strap
    Last edited by capncat; 01-03-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag/accessories are you carrying?
    A Cloud/Viridian Side Kick is what I carry every day, with a long key strap for my house keys and a mini OP for my public transport card. I’ve been using my Mars Red Pop Tote very regularly since I got it, for gym gear, shopping (supermarket and other stuff), library books and general errands, such as taking used paint cans back to the store for recycling.

What are you reading?
    Walking the Kiso Road by William Scott Wilson, and catching up on professional reading over the summer holidays.

What are you watching?
    I went to see Breathe which was quite good, although maybe a slightly too positive take on the subject. Next on the list is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

The radio for background music

Lots of salads because we’re having hot, humid weather at the moment, and I don’t feel like cooking. I’m trying to use stuff from my small garden, so nasturtiums are going on salads and mint is going in cold drinks and with fruit.

I’m growing things in my garden, and looking forward to getting the first zucchini in the next few days. Tomatoes and cucumber will be a while longer. I’m also revising my French with online lessons.

I’m hoping to go to France to visit family sometime later this year, and possibly other places in Europe too.

Write a book

Cruising to the Marquesas Islands on the passenger/freight vessel MV Aranui

What is your number one TB wish list item (practical, impractical, funny, it's all good but you can only choose one item).
    The Tom Bihn Magic Carpet, to rise above airport chaos and whisk me from arrival gate to departure gate quickly. Also able to levitate in position at major tourist sights to enable an unobstructed view. Probably in halcyon (sitka would be nice).
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just returned from five weeks away for work (translating for a group of fourteen from 13 countries operating in Spanish and English) and I learned in a whole new way the value of simple, well designed, organizational assistance. I have the full-blown bags too, but augh...my small travel tray in fjord was SUCH a help, on my desk and in my backpack. It carried Perugina Glacia mints, one small clay baby Jesus to have on my desk for Christmas (wrapped in a bandana), two small stones from places I love to be, an inch and a half tall wooden owl, the charger apiece for a MacBook Air and my iPhone, and other random bits and bobs.

What are you reading?

Alice Hoffman's The Rules of Magic (airport purchase--nothing like a bit of magic to while away the hours of Oh Your Flight's Been Cancelled) and Educar a la Francesa about the influence of education on women in Chile)

Not much at the moment. Fell asleep to the Royal Variety Show--not exactly a rousing endorsement, but I do remember chuckling.

Sara Thomsen; Pink Martini; Carrie Newcomer; and a bunch of podcasts from CBC/BBC/NPR

Punch Buggy Espresso from Detour coffee roasters in Ontario; caramelized leeks (divine); carrot soup--simple, honest, warms you from the inside-out

Just finished writing an annual four week poetry series. Have others in the works that will appear soon.

Chicago in March, Saint Louis in the summer, and I'm hoping Rome again in the fall/winter for another round of translation

Offer civility lessons to world leaders.

Visiting each of Pablo Neruda's houses in Chile.

Synapse 19 in deep blue/viridian

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pop Tote in Mars Red
    Guide's Edition Synapse 25 in Black
    Travel Cubelet in Grass
    Citizen Canine in Aubergine
    Moveable Feast in Navy
    Various Shop Bags of course

And so many others.

Like @MatthewR there's an item or two I'm using that I can't talk about!

What are you reading?

Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark
    I'm Just No Good at Rhyming: And Other Nonsense for Mischievous Kids and Immature Grown-Ups by Chris Harris

Next up:
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
    Re-reading All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy

I just watched all three movies written by Taylor Sheridan: Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River. Best movies I've seen in a long time.

Godless and Season 2 of The Crown on Netflix.

Planning on going to see these two in the theater: The Shape of Water and Molly's Game.

Shuffling music that's on my iPhone. These are a few of the songs I've most been into lately when they've come on:

Black Water - Timbre Timbre
    S'Cooled - Blood Orange
    Moulinette - Anna Calvi
    Edith Piaf (Said It Better Than Me) - Sparks
    Valley - Jane Weaver
    Down And Out - EMA
    Prayer For The Dying - Lisa Hannigan
    Furnaces - Ed Harcourt
    40 Day Dream - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
    Firefly - Heavens To Betsy
    MGMT - Electric Feel
    Treaty - Leonard Cohen

I'm excited to try some recipes out of my newest cookbook: Rasika: Flavors of India
    I've also ordered a curry leaf plant off Amazon.... I'm hoping it arrives alive and that I don't end up killing it!

Drinking: date milkshakes. And of course I sampled each of these cocktails after photographing them.

I'm plotting upgrades and changes to my garden. I plan to add more Blackcap Raspberry plants and train them as outlined here. Maybe a few more small blueberry plants, salal, and some Point Reyes ceanothus. I planted the latter (along with kinnikinnick, beach strawberry, and tufted hairgrass) in the new planters outside of our Seattle Factory Showroom and it's doing really well. Plus, the bees love it.

San Francisco, Taos, and Crater Lake National Park.

I wouldn't say it's my number one wish list item ever, but the one I'm thinking of is at once practical, impractical, and funny. And you guys might get to see it in early April...
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These days my Aubergine/Island Maker's Bag is with me every weekday. (Side note: that's probably my second favorite TB color combo, after Olive/Canyon.) I tuck my Verde/NWS Side Kick inside during the week and take it out on the weekends for solo use.

What are you reading?
    Soulful Simplicity by Courtney Carver. Think I'll be rereading Glennon Doyle's Love Warrior this weekend, too.

I just started the newest season of The X-Files Big Grin

I'm in one of those phases where music is mostly driving me nuts. Any suggestions for instrumental music that's good for working/reading would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm cooking LOTS of Whole30-compliant foods. Yesterday's dinner (and today's lunch) has been my favorite meal so far - Shepherd's Pie. Drool. As for drinks, LOTS of hot water and coffee to keep me warm, because these subzero temps are killing me.

Hibernating.

Possible trips to Chicago in March and Milwaukee in May. NEED to plan a proper vacation.
    kindness is contagious.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy new year, everyone. Swooping in to play.

What bag(s)/accessories are you carrying?
    I just got back from my annual week-long trip to Kentucky. I brought my Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky Synapse 25, two Aeronaut 30 small packing cubes in Carbon Aether, a Travel Tray and Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack in Solar, a mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian Halcyon (first aid kit), and a Dawn Cubelet. I also flat-packed a Mars Red Pop Tote to hold winter coats in the airport and to use as a shopping bag.

What are you reading?
    Astrophysics for People in a Hurry.

What are you watching?
    Planet Earth II; I'm also playing way too much Puzzle and Dragons and Animal Crossing (you know, because it's winter break).

Video game soundtracks: Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna, Ori and the Blind Forest, Journey.

What are you cooking/drinking/baking?
    I've come to the sad realization that I probably shouldn't drink too much alcohol because I have migraines, so lately I've been drinking tea, coffee, and other things without alcohol in them (cue inconsolable weeping).

Right now I'd be happy if I could make it to the end of the block given the crap-ton of snow that got dumped on us yesterday. I'll also be going to Iceland, the UK, and the glorious American midwest in the first six months of this year.

#1 Wish
    Some sort of backpack with a self-contained, padded, side- or top-access laptop compartment.

Swooping out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bag(s)/accessories are you carrying?
    I've been using a Navy/Wasabi Synapse 19 for a few weeks. I recently got a hand-me-down lunchbox from my wife that fits in there well. Before that it was a two bag endeavor but I'm much happier now Smilie

What are you reading?
    The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman. So fascinating! (at least to me)

What are you watching?
    Nothing very seriously but I did have a niece in town for a week at Christmas and we must have watched 30 episodes of The Office. Good times!

I had the John Fahey Christmas albums playing some leading up to the holidays. And I always resort to lots of bluegrass, old and not-as-old, when nothing else strikes my fancy.

What are you cooking/drinking/baking?
    The same niece mentioned above is vegetarian (and I was for several years) so my wife and I have been flexing our meat-free cooking muscles a bit lately. It's always a good exercise to revisit! And I drank more beer and wine over the holidays than I typically do so I've been on a tea bender lately. Yay tea!

After years of contemplating it, I'm finally taking a beginner ceramics class at the local community college. It starts next Tuesday, and I'm very excited! @Darcy asked for a mug.... we'll see how they turn out first.

Nothing specifically planned but SO MANY ideas!

Portugal and France. We love to travel for the food culture and those two destinations are high on the list right now!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast