1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best US to European Travel Adapter??

Cheap US to European travel adapters are ubiquitous, but, I want a really good quality one so as not breakdown too early, or, cause damage to my Iphone while traveling. Any suggestions??

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just make sure we are talking about the same thing....the two rounded plugs. Not the three pronged one used in the UK and Ireland?

Will you have anything else to charge besides your iphone?

If not, I've been using the $1 plugs sold on the Rick Steves website for years without a problem.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/...-power-adapter

If you just bought a couple you could write to see if they could lower your shipping costs.

If you don't want those, just look for any on Amazon. They are very simple an usually don't cause any problems. Get more than one as it is probable you will leave one someplace.

Luggage or travel stores usually have them as well as do most AAA offices and even camping stores like REI.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there Frank!
    1--Yes, I mean Continental Europe and not the UK

2--Should I also try at our favorite travel store at Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh??

3--P.S. I wish you would get 1Bag1World.com up and going again!!

Thank you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bag n Baggage will have them but you will pay top dollar. (You don't need a grounded one.)

Or, if you have Amazon Prime, you can get six for the price of one at Bag N Baggage:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Europ...+to+eu+adapter

Ceptics is a reliable brand.

The website may be back soon. We had some problems that will be explained when I start up.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad you asked this. I've been looking on Amazon, and I immediately go to the 1 star reviews, and it's disheartening to see that the plugs break, overheat, don't charge, or just quit working after a day. I don't want to bring several. I also want to know a good brand that will last. I'll be gone for a month.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-12-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this kind of thing, or this one, because they solve the problem of having just one outlet in a room. Or sometimes I just take something small like this, or if I'm passing through lots of countries, something more universal. I've never experienced a failure of the adapter. My personal rule is that I try to have some extras, as there always seem to be co-workers, co-travelers, or family members who are in desperate need of one. (I bring some extra cords, too, for this reason.)

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you are going to a European country, because you can easily buy a replacement. I used to travel to West Africa quite a bit, and I'd be more thoughtful in packing adapters because they would be harder to replace. And I would take something that could buffer my device against a surge or uneven power supply, but in Europe I feel that this is less of a concern.

Another thing to consider is a small portable battery that you can carry around during the day, in case your phone runs out of juice. This is already part of my EDC pack. I'm partial to the Anker brand of batteries, but just as an fyi, they do not offer pass-through charging. i.e., when you are back in the hotel room, you have to charge the battery and your device separately, not in one chain.

One 3D cube is usually sufficient for however many wall plugs, external batteries, cords and adapters are needed.

(I own all the devices I linked to. The ones with multiple ports, I actually use at home when I'm not traveling.)
    Last edited by bchaplin; 01-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to stick with the grounded adapters (even if not needed for phone chargers). They are slightly bigger in size, but tend to sit more tightly and securely in power sockets. This especially matters if you have a phone charger that plugs directly into a wall outlet and needs its weight supported.

As far as chargers, cables and batteries, I have had really good luck with anything made by Anker (available on Amazon).
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BWeaves,

You might be interested in taking a look at the Wirecutter site, for example, there's a recently updated guide to The Best Gear for Travel. I've linked you to the section on connectors, but you can also scroll down to read their discussion about USB Battery packs, and other items.

I agree that Anker is a quality source -- I have this for my larger size battery packs. For day to day I use one of the 6000maH Jackery bars. (This mostly reflects when I bought these, since none of the products have worn out, and it was a question of the most convenient size and weight to my hand at the time I bought things.)

The Wirecutter reviews make for interesting reading, even if we don't always settle on exactly their recommendation. They do keep these up-to-date

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had an adapter overheat or break, I would think that is a converter issue. Most consumer electronics these days are dual-voltage, so converters aren't necessary. I use the ones from REI, and charge through an Ravpower battery that can power my laptop and USB devices (it does allow pass-thru charging of all it's outlets). That way I only need one wall plug.
    Last edited by imperator; 01-12-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a pretty big believer in the Kensington International Travel Plug Adapter. It has been with me to over 14 countries - many of them multiple times. It always works. Each of my family members has the exact same one and we have never had a complaint. I love that it will work in any country I travel to. Having said that, the ones we have arenot the generation available now - so quality could have changed. You do pay a tiny bit more than for other adapters - but you are paying for thr sureity that it will work when you need it.
    S19 Cloud/Dawn; S25 Olive/Northwest Sky, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Ultraviolet; GE S25 Deep Blue/Coyote; BB Mars Red/Canyon; SA Verde/Ultraviolet, Black Halycon/Island, Nordic Halycon/Wasabi & Steel Dyneema/Steel; A30 Navy/Zest; A45 Aubergine/Island & Nordic Halycon/Steel; MCB Mars Red/Dawn and Black Halycon/Wasabi

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    Cheap US to European travel adapters are ubiquitous, but, I want a really good quality one so as not breakdown too early, or, cause damage to my Iphone while traveling. Any suggestions??
    I've used many types over the years, but I actually like this one the best now, along with one of the all in one units with a USB port. I bring several extra European single plugs too for additional items.

But, I haven't had any issues with these at all and the carrying case is a major bonus.

Whatever you or others in the same boat decide on, never just bring one because one equals none.

And bring along a mini in wall surge protector for delicate electronics. Or better and safer yet, just charge you're phone from a battery charger and not direct.

Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0P2GLM..._4UzwAb8WH1YQ0
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)