Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Chromebooks

South Pasadena Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Chromebooks

I was rather blase about them when they first came out.
    Now I am on on board with them for ones who just do internet searches and email.

Case in point: my wife and I have had the same laptops since Christmas 2014. She recently started having problems with the trackpad. Windows 10 reset cleared it up. My laptop is fine but I use a mouse only.

She only does internet searches and maybe email if so inclined.

Got her one for her birthday and she loves it. Instant on and with a 15.6 screen. Perfect for her.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

around 53
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great devices. I use mine all the time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little 10" chromebook where the keyboard can flip over to the backside and it can be used like a tablet. I use it mostly for netflix, youtube, and facebook. The keyboard is small, so doing a lot of typing wouldn't be too comfortable, but it's a huge improvement from just using an on screen keyboard.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Asus C302CA and its great for the majority of online needs. It also runs android apps so I can use the same apps from my phone but just on a bigger screen if necessary.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day when the kids were around 4 or 5 I started looking into getting a computer the kids could use for some of those flash based learning sites (learn to read, learn to count kind of things). I loved the idea of the Chrome OS, it would have been perfect for that kind of stuff. Very simplistic OS that's difficult for people to screw it up (Looking at you Windows). But sadly, the only options were Chromebooks, and I (read: "the wife") wanted a desktop solution for them, so we went iMac instead. Now, I'm fairly happy with the Mac, but I'd still love the ability to have a Chrome OS based desktop, because even though it's still harder to get things out of wack, at least once a quarter I still need to "fix that dang computer" (to quote the wife).

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question from someone who is painfully tech illiterate: if my contracting job requires Windows 10, will the Chrone OS work?

(I don’t know tech but I CAN bake bread from scratch!)
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2015 I debated between a new Chromebook or a Macbook when my 2008 Macbook Pro finally died. The Chromebook was the right choice for me - got an Asus in April 2015 for $200 and it's still working today. Even if it doesn't last 7+ years, for the price I'm happy. Some programs don't work though, I can't use Rosetta Stone or Skype on it so I can see why it's not for everyone.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Question from someone who is painfully tech illiterate: if my contracting job requires Windows 10, will the Chrone OS work?

(I don’t know tech but I CAN bake bread from scratch!)
    Short answer, no.

Longer answer, why do you need Win10? The apps you can run are basically web-based or phone based ones so if you need to some specific software that only runs on windows and can't be run through a browser, you are out of luck in most cases.

For web browsing, web-based email, streaming movies, working in Google Docs or similar environment or really any web or cloud based application, chromebooks are great. Need to use normal, desktop only software, chromebooks are not for you.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    Short answer, no.

Longer answer, why do you need Win10? The apps you can run are basically web-based or phone based ones so if you need to some specific software that only runs on windows and can't be run through a browser, you are out of luck in most cases.

For web browsing, web-based email, streaming movies, working in Google Docs or similar environment or really any web or cloud based application, chromebooks are great. Need to use normal, desktop only software, chromebooks are not for you.
    Thanks! Contract states that my tech must run Windows 10 or later. But I do all of my work online in Chrome. I might just borrow one and try it for work and see what happens.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

South Pasadena Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    Thanks! Contract states that my tech must run Windows 10 or later. But I do all of my work online in Chrome. I might just borrow one and try it for work and see what happens.
    I assume you connect to a website that runs the application. If so, the application is probably a web service that requires Microsoft components.
    However, I retired from development 5 years ago so maybe IE is not a requirement. Especially since you mention you do all your work in Chrome.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big fan of the chromebook I have, as the N3060 processor feels underpowered. I do however travel with it as I don't care if it gets lost, stolen, or damaged.

Luckily, I got this chromebook for free so I can't complain too much.

For anyone considering a chromebook, I recommend getting one with an m3 or better processor such as the Asus C302CA or Samsung Chromebook Pro.

ChromeOS is itself fine, but not as refined as MacOS.
    A30, A45, S19, S25, Co-Pilot, Smart Alec, Tristar