1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an old Eastern Adage... "A knifeless man is a lifeless man".

With that said... since I was a young kid in the country, I've always carried a knife. Pocket folder, fixed blade, depending on what I needed, around town, hiking, fishing, backpacking, defense, etc.

Now days... it's the holy trail of knife carrying. So many choices. I've had many over the many years but now here's what I have... and use. I've sold off a lot and gave a few away. Btw, 3.5 inch maximum in Colorado and the lighter the better.

Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S30V steel
    Spyderco Carbon Fiber Manix 2 S90V steel
    Spyderco Sage Titanium S30V steel
    Benchmade 710 Coated M2H2 High Speed Tool Steel
    Ontario Rat Fixed Blade 1095 Carbon Steel with sheaf
    Leatherman Wave
    Leatherman Titanium Charge

That's it... I'm done buying and selling, these are my favorite and classic keepers that are carried and used regularly.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I just used the old clunky heavy Leatherman multitool that I store in my car to scrape off the metalized car registration sticker off of my license plate and put the new one on... perfect use for it

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always traveled with a multi-tool or a jack knife my whole life. I always have a use for my Leatherman multi-tool. I have one in every car that I own and in my TB S19 which is my EDC. Its a real bummer that I can't fly with my small multi-tool because I could use it almost everyday (bottle opener, pen knife, tweezers, awl, etc) while traveling.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    Hi.. I carry a large 4" folding knife (usually a 4" blade Spyderco) clipped to my inside front pocket, every day.. along with a multi tool (Leatherman or a swiss army knife) inside my front pocket as well. Not to skin a deer, but for cutting various things .. finally a knife is my last source of self defense if need be.

Folding knives these days are very light and very versatile.
    Plus, I work on a river boat, and a good knife is nearly mandatory.

In the U.S. we are allowed to carry these tools, so they are very common to see. Knife discussion is huge on every social media site related to EDC, self defense, hunting, etc.

DS
    I think you'll find that a 4" blade isn't legal in most (all?) states to carry concealed. Laws vary on whether or not a pocket clip means a knife is "no concealed"

Be careful out there. Many states prohibit the concealment of anything "scary". Small "Swiss Army" type knives that have more tools than blades usually won't raise any issues except at Federal buildings, schools and airports.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.. definitely know the laws.. they vary quite a bit. Where I'm at it's fine.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought Iíd show my EDC knives. It truth, I swap them around, but these are two of my favourites. They are a hand made in Sheffield, England, Taylorís Eye Witness rams horn handled Barlow with a hand filed back spring and blade. Itís polished and sharpened to be wickedly sharp edge. Iíve a few similar, traditional patterns, but I carry one in a leather sheath on my belt. In my TB Fouderís Briefcase I have a Swiss Army Knife. I have 5 of them but the Alox Pioneer X is my current favourite. It has a large blade, a can opener, a bottle opener, two screwdrivers, an awl and some super sharp scissors. The Climber has a similar toolset, but with blue plastic scales and my Spartan and Waiter have fewer. My little Classic SD lives on my key strap.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I just thought I’d show my EDC knives. It truth, I swap them around, but these are two of my favourites. They are a hand made in Sheffield, England, Taylor’s Eye Witness rams horn handled Barlow with a hand filed back spring and blade. It’s polished and sharpened to be wickedly sharp edge. I’ve a few similar, traditional patterns, but I carry one in a leather sheath on my belt. In my TB Fouder’s Briefcase I have a Swiss Army Knife. I have 5 of them but the Alox Pioneer X is my current favourite. It has a large blade, a can opener, a bottle opener, two screwdrivers, an awl and some super sharp scissors. The Climber has a similar toolset, but with blue plastic scales and my Spartan and Waiter have fewer. My little Classic SD lives on my key strap.
    I have a very similar SAK .. Farmer model (Alox as well).

I like the bottom .. interesting design .. I kinda dig it.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    I have a very similar SAK .. Farmer model (Alox as well).

I like the bottom .. interesting design .. I kinda dig it.
    The Barlow is a design from the 17th century and has been a standard ever since. Mark Twain referenced it in both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Currently most major knife makers have one or more in their range from really cheap ones from Rough Riders to custom models from Northwest Knives. Mine comes from a company called Taylorís Eye Witness in Sheffield England. Theyíve been making the same design in the same workshop for over 150 years. They do a basic work ready model for £20 ($25-30) through my Rams horn version for £120 right up to a mother of pearl model for £215. They are made by one craftsman from beginning to end, including the hand carved/filed back springs and the handle shaping. They really are works of art. Iíve no connection by the way, other than as a customer. Iíve some by other Sheffield makers too, particularly by A Write & Son.

Made in Sheffield Pocket Knives | Taylors Eye Witness – Kitchen knives, knives and tools, pocket knives.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3