Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why carry a pocketknife?

I've noticed a good number of videos and pictures of bags include some form of pocketknife. I'm curious to know what you use your pocketknife for on a regular basis. I have a Leatherman my dad gave me, but it's so heavy I have not made it part of my EDC and basically reserve it for camping. I'd love some inspiration on how I could get more use out of mine by hearing how you use yours. Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have carried one off and on for a few years. I use it to open packages wrapped in plastic, to deal with sudden nail snags (it has a tiny scissors built in), and to peel mangos when I am lucky enough to catch them local and in season. To be honest, it isn't strictly necessary to have. This particular knife has also gotten me in a lot of trouble because I will forget I have it and then get caught. Once I thought I was going to end up in an Israeli jail because of it. So now I regard it, perversely, as a kind of good luck charm, because despite numerous incidents it's never actually been taken away from me.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a knife for many of the same reason as bchaplin. It is a tool I use for preparing food, opening packages, trimming nails, and all other manner of cutting needs. I have 4 kids and the number of times I have removed loose strings from clothes while out or opened snacks, new toys or removed tags from clothes are hard to count. Outside of vary rare instances it is clipped to my front right pocket.
    DogBikeSpringRainbowTengu

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too often wonder at the prevalence of (large, heavy) pocketknives in the EDC world. Like, are you going to skin a deer on your lunch break? If not, maybe leave that thing at home, bro. Also most of those would be illegal to carry here in the U.K.

Anyway, I carry a SwissCard, which is a credit card-sized and shaped Swiss Army Knife. I primarily have it for the scissors. Victorinox Swiss Army Knives have the best scissors for cutting kids' nails! Also hang nails, loose threads, etc. I could live without everything else on it, since I won't be opening boxes or anything while I'm out and about, but those scissors are priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood the appeal. I keep a small multitool in the glove box of my car, which I've only used occasionally for the scissors. But otherwise I find I'm almost never without the tools I need (again, mostly scissors). I'll use a key to open a package in a bind. When I'm always trying to minimize what I carry with me, a pocketknife or multitool just isn't going to make the cut. (Ha, no pun intended.)
    kindness is contagious.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a Gerber Dime in my EDC. I almost never use the knife, but I do use the tiny screwdriver (loose screws, battery covers, etc), the package opener (great for blister packs as well as boxes), and the tiny scissors (threads, labels, etc). I think its utility depends on what you do every day. I have had mine confiscated by TSA when I forgot it in my bag. Maddening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before 9/11, I carried a knife all the time for all of the random reasons above plus I regularly used it at work. For example, I used to carry quite a large Browning knife to slice open hot plastic bottles right after they were formed... part of the engineering work I did.
    After having to give up several random knives at the airport because I forget they were in my bag, I only carry one on me or in my bag as an exception not the rule. There is a multitool in my car and one at my work desk though.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why carry a pocketknife?

I have a Gerber Dime too, and I mainly use the scissors, package opener, tweezers, big screwdriver, and the pliers. A lot of my uses are related to either knitting or being with my kids. The pliers I was surprised about - I never missed them before but now that theyíre in my pocket, I use them probably about weekly.

I find this is a good balance between size and price (itís about the size of my index finger, and not too expensive) and function.

I have a Leatherman Wave that hangs out in my Synapse. I use the knife, scissors, tiny screwdriver (for my glasses), and again, pliers when I have it handy, but I rarely miss it when I donít. And it sure is heavy! I also find the can opener and saw handy when camping (trimming twigs off dead branches for marshmallow sticks, for example).

ETA: Oh, and the bottle opener on the Gerber Dime! How could I forget that?! I use it all the time!
    Last edited by terayon; 02-08-2018 at 01:32 PM.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine mostly to open snack packages that are adult proof . Smilie Sometimes packages at the post office where I can't wait until I get home. Sometimes for cheese when we're on a picnic.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carried a Leatherman Wave in my military days. These days, thatís too big and heavy, so I keep it in my car.

Now I carry a SAK Compact for many of the reasons that have been mentioned. The scissors are the most used feature.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm never without a Swiss Army knife. I use the scissors at work. I use the file a lot and the awl is a good tool for getting out knots. If I could only come up with a use for the parcel hook!
    My favorites: the Rambler -smallest one with a bottle opener and it also has a pen; and the Executive, which I've had since I was 10 years old. The only Swiss Army knife with an orange peeler/screwdriver! Those two are the only ones I'd carry in my pocket.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a small Victorinox which I bought in Geneva airport. I was travelling with S19 as my main bag (no check-in bag); so, was so happy to find a shop selling Swiss Army knife in the airport after the security check. I use the nail clipper, file, scissors and twizer a lot. I hardly use the knife blade or the tooth pick.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a small Swiss Army knife in my EDC. I guess I don't use it a ton, but it's handy for opening boxes, tightening screws, opening wine and beer, etc. It was part of my standard travel kit pre-9/11.

For travel now, I swap it out for a stand-alone corkscrew (without a foil cutting knife) and mini scissors. Both have gotten inspected at the airport, but neither has been taken so far!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I have a Gerber Dime too
    Ditto, nice combination of cost, size and capabilities. Generally the scissors get the most use.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've at various times carried a Swiss Army knife, a Leatherman Juice, and a Swiss Army card. That last was a gift from my dad after a trip to Europe. It's a thick credit-card shaped holder that has a toothpick, a pair of tweezers, a ruler, and a couple of other built-in or removable tools. It was very good for keeping in my wallet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast