Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tea & Sympathy (aka my Italy Envy)

Next month my husband is off to Italy for 10 days for work. He flies into Venice, travels around northern Italy and then returns home from Milan. He's a sommelier, so work for him is schmoozing, tasting wine and eating delicious foods. In Italy.

It doesn't matter how much I remind myself it's a work trip (it doesn't matter how cool your job is, work travel can be outright exhausting) I am hella jealous.

I am putting in effort to be excited for him while simultaneously drowning in stress at work, running myself ragged with a busy semester (I work full time as a fabric engineer and teach 2 nights a week at the university) and sad at the prospect of being on my own for 10 days.

I hardly know what to do to keep myself from going travel-envy-crazy. I'm taking time off while he is away but because of my teaching gig and our kiddo custody schedule (half time) I can't also travel. So. Oh internet of travel-loving friends, what are some things you would do given this opportunity???

I'm in Minneapolis, MN, for any location-specific inspiration.
    Last edited by SarahJaneMakes; 02-20-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Minneapolis too! Here's some good things happening in town: Indecent at the Guthrie. Rush tickets are $35 or so. It's a play that won some Tony awards last year and it's short. You can be home by 10. It's a really good show!
    I'd also check out the Robert Wilson/China exhibit at Mia and adios utopia at the Walker, which closes next month. The Walker also has some fun winter programming on Thursday nights. I did a Sculpture Garden snowshoe tour that was really fun.
    I'd also probably get an escapist book and some wine to make for a good staycation.

I'm jealous of your husband's trip too.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we're all jealous of that kind of work trip!

You say you've been very busy/rushed... I second the 'staycation' idea... sleep in, have a nice unhurried breakfast/brunch... bundle up and go for a walk... make or take out some favorite foods, have a glass of your favorite beverage and relax!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahJaneMakes View Post
    Next month my husband is off to Italy for 10 days for work. He flies into Venice, travels around northern Italy and then returns home from Milan. He's a sommelier, so work for him is schmoozing, tasting wine and eating delicious foods. In Italy.

It doesn't matter how much I remind myself it's a work trip (it doesn't matter how cool your job is, work travel can be outright exhausting) I am hella jealous.

I am putting in effort to be excited for him while simultaneously drowning in stress at work, running myself ragged with a busy semester (I work full time as a fabric engineer and teach 2 nights a week at the university) and sad at the prospect of being on my own for 10 days.

I hardly know what to do to keep myself from going travel-envy-crazy. I'm taking time off while he is away but because of my teaching gig and our kiddo custody schedule (half time) I can't also travel. So. Oh internet of travel-loving friends, what are some things you would do given this opportunity???

I'm in Minneapolis, MN, for any location-specific inspiration.
    That is so easy. Buy some Tom Bihn bags...
    Last edited by ceb; 02-20-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jealous of your Husband’s work trip as well. If I’m “lucky” I get to go to Winona for work.

Also in Minneapolis...well....Golden Valley.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I empathize with you. It's a very friendly group of people here , which you probably sensed, as you posted for some support and ideas. My 2c:

-Binge watch a good show on Netflix. I recommend The Crown or Scandal, my two recent favorites.
    -Choose one home project that would give you a sense of accomplishment - going through your closet, cleaning out the pantry, etc. and then reward yourself with a new purchase or a night of baking (if you enjoy that)
    -Drop hints to spouse that you could use some time to yourself in the upcoming weeks before he goes on his trip, and then choose something nice to do for yourself
    -Do you have a relative who would consider visiting during that time so that you have the company of a nice adult and possibly some help with child care?

Whatever you end up deciding to do with that time supervising things at home, I think you will find some understanding here.

Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Jealous of your Husband’s work trip as well. If I’m “lucky” I get to go to Winona for work.
    I'm in Winona! Let me know the next time you're in town. We've got lots of great events and festivals, especially in the summer/fall. It's not a bad place to be.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, this is hard. I had many such moments when my kids were little and my husband off on European work trips. Still remember the sting of one conversation when he told me of Versailles as I dealt with three with stomach viruses...

Can you give yourself a day in “virtual Italy”? Go to a spa, rent a movie (Roman Holiday is fun!), and have some nice wine. Share the day with a girlfriend.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live vicariously through Google streetview.