Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaska Airline: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, please share your experience.

Cue to the Moricone music Smilie

I have a favorite domestic U.S airline, but I am trying to broaden my horizon and flight choices.

How wide are the aisle seats, is it possible to get one in economy?
    Is there room for Large Shop Bag under the aisle seats?

Is there problems finding space for carry on (Tristar, A45, Medium Yeoman), if one is flying with the lowest fare?

Are they offering food? Special diets?

How easy is the boarding?

Is there free wifi, other flight entertainment?

Do they usually use the most crowded terminal?

What time of day are flights the most crowded?

How bothersome is a flight change?

Please feel free to add experience, tips to get the most of what that airline has to offer, what hassles to avoid...

Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-02-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    They have craft beer!
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't flown them but have heard good things. Their economy seats are 31-32", which is not bad. I guess Jet Blue is more generous, but a lot of airlines are worse. Here is a pretty tough review, but IMO Alaska Air comes out of this quite well. I love Jet Blue but even they don't have power outlets at the seats; that would be a big bonus.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alaska is my favorite airline I fly. I think all airlines feel crowded lately, unfortunately, so hard to compare on that. What I will say is I have found the customer service to be outstanding, fast baggage claim if you do decide to actually check a bag, craft beer, free in flight movies over wifi, and great frequent flyer program. The app also works great. Also love their fruit and cheese plate and that you can reserve via their app in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additional questions:

Does the app works with older phones?

Can the external arm rest of the aisle seat be lifted?

What percentage of old planes are still in service?

Can economy/lowest fare passengers choose their seats?
    Last edited by backpack; 03-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an iPhone 4s (just can't bring myself to upgrade even though I can't update past OS 9.3). I use the Alaska Airlines app with no issue. I don't know if there's something I'm missing but it works for me.

The arm rests can be lifted on at least the 737s. Haven't tried on anything older.

I don't know about all their planes, but they have several flights out of PDX to Seattle using the DASH-400 prop planes. You walk out to the plane and drop your larger carry ons on the tarmac and pick them up when you deplane. Because of this and the fact that you load both front and back (based on your seat), you get on and off faster.

I've never used the economy/lowest fare but it is my understanding that no, you don't get to choose but are guaranteed a seat. Middle seats on most planes now actually have the most room under seat anyway. On a larger plane (such as a 737) you could fit a Tri-Star or A30.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Cue to the Moricone music Smilie

I have a favorite domestic U.S airline, but I am trying to broaden my horizon and flight choices.

How wide are the aisle seats, is it possible to get one in economy?
    Is there room for Large Shop Bag under the aisle seats?

Is there problems finding space for carry on (Tristar, A45, Medium Yeoman), if one is flying with the lowest fare?

How easy is the boarding?

Is there free wifi, other flight entertainment?

Do they usually use the most crowded terminal?

What time of day are flights the most crowded?

How bothersome is a flight change?

Please feel free to add experience, tips to get the most of what that airline has to offer, what hassles to avoid...

Any feedback is appreciated.
    I love Alaska and fly it whenever possible! Luckily for me it is often possible since I live in Seattle. The flights can vary quite a bit depending if itís a smaller plane (Alaska operated by Horizon) or larger, but I find the seating and carry-on arrangements quite comfortable. For example ysterday I fit my huge Eddie Bauer down parka and my Makerís Bag under the seat in front of me, in a window seat, and had no problem fitting a bag similar in size to an A45 (itís an Osprey Porter 45) in the overhead bin on a regular/large plane flight. For the short flights on small planes theyíll do free plane-side baggage for the bags youíd normally put overhead.

Boarding is pretty straightforward. After the special needs/frequent flyer stuff that most airlines do these days, they board from the back of the plane forward. For a regular non-Horizon flight this typically means rows 20 and higher go first.

They usually offer biscoff cookies and soda/coffee/tea for free, with more available for purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Alaska. It's my favorite airline. My tip is to go buy a Portland Timbers hat and wear it. Oftentimes, after all the fancy boarders have boarded, including military, frequent fliers & upgraders, etc., Alaska lets people wearing Timbers gear board first. Stick Out Tongue