Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out aldenshoe.com All Weather Walker line. They’re made in Massachusetts, leather shoes, steel shank, leather mid soles, etc. Excellent casual shoes made like good hiking boots. Very expensive though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love wool, and really wanted to love Allbirds, but they are just not comfortable. The heel cup is stiff and cut into my heel. The sole did not have arch support where my arch is, and the tongue kept folding up. But I have a friend who swears by them. I guess my feet don't match their last.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I love wool, and really wanted to love Allbirds, but they are just not comfortable. The heel cup is stiff and cut into my heel. The sole did not have arch support where my arch is, and the tongue kept folding up. But I have a friend who swears by them. I guess my feet don't match their last.
    Too bad the Allbirds didn't work for you!

YMMV, for sure.

I live in such a hot/humid climate that I wasn't sure they'd be ideal for me, but I love them... I find them super comfy for pretty much all activities. They have become my go-to shoe for work and travel.

Still love SoftStar, too!

Forum Member
    Costa Rica
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got arthritis in both big toes (no idea why, just wear and tear I guess). I've tried all sorts of running and trail shoes. For city adventures, Rockport World Tour classics have the right roominess and cushioning for all day pavement pounding, and look decent enough for meetings. I bought a pair of Mephistos and the soles were just too thin. For when I need to combine field work (farms) with travel, I have a pair of Oboz trail shoes, which are a bit too heavy and stiff. I am looking at some Keens, which have the toe box room I need.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two suggestions, one is allbirds wool shoes, the other is ASICS metrolyte, both can be "nicer looking" Europe shoes and athletically comfortable.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visit your local shoe store

I would invest in a high quality pair of good-fitting shoes.

My suggestion is to visit your local shoe store. I buy clothing online, but when buying shoes, I think it is important to see them in person and try them on. Style is very personal.

I also think it is important that they fit very well from the moment you first put them on. I do not believe uncomfortable will feel a lot better after a break-in period.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave in a few days and I'm now deciding between Brooks Addiction Walkers and New Balance Waking. They are very close in feel and I'm having a hard time deciding.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

San Jose, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like how the Brooks look over the New Balance. I have a pair of Women's Brooks Addiction 12 runners that I used to walk to and around a very large music festival and they were great on my feet. No problems at all. I think the Brooks look more like runners and the NB look more like hikers. So if you want more of a shoe look, I would go with the NB. The sole of the Brooks makes them look more like black runners.

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote New Balance, only because that's how my Grandpa rolled.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to keep the Brooks. The heel is a little firmer on Brooks over the New Balance which I don't like. But I also tend to pronate when I walk and the New Balance seems to amplify it.

New Balance has walking shoes with an internal stabilisation bar in the heel to correct pronation but I found it made the heel very hard.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I decided to keep the Brooks. The heel is a little firmer on Brooks over the New Balance which I don't like. But I also tend to pronate when I walk and the New Balance seems to amplify it.

New Balance has walking shoes with an internal stabilisation bar in the heel to correct pronation but I found it made the heel very hard.
    Glad you found a pair that work for you. I have worn Brooks for several years now, and I credit them with reducing my knee and foot pain and allowing me to do more exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite "shoe" (actually sneaker) is the Brooks Beast. I've been wearing them for years. So I thought I'd stay with the company by going with the Brooks Addicition. And anyway, the logo on the Brooks was much more subtle than on the New Balance.

Both of these will go on my travels. I no longer bring my former travel shoe, the Rockport World Tour, as they now really hurt my feet. Not sure what happened. But I've learned foot comfort is much more important than formality.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the wider-footed that want arch support but can handle non-marshmallowy soles, Birkenstock non-sandals can also be quite good, depending on style. (ETA: Vionics do amazing arch supports, but their wides aren't super wide.)
    Last edited by kmw; 04-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2