Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Walking Shoe Suggestions.

We head for a whirlwind trip to Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Olso and other parts Norway in May.

Our vacation mythology is to see it all and rest when we get home. That means lots of walking. We walked 17 miles one day in Rome on our Italy trip several years ago.

Iím looking for an all day menís walking shoe that isnít ugly as sin, doesnít look like Walt Disney threw up on it and will give me all day comfort day in and day out for 11-12 days on the go. Typical wardrobe is REI travel pants, Marino t-shirt and a short sleeve button shirt over that.

Iím a 51 year old male. 225#...but working on that....and carry a small pack that can weight 10-12#.

Any direct recommendations? Something you have used.

Thanks!

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the new balance line of walking shoes usually sedate if not a bit Grandpa looking but comfortable and supportive for late for lots of walking

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Allbirds.

Merino wool...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check out this other thread too

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...s-walking.html

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eccos seem to be popular (I can't wear them as I have wide feet and they don't come in a wide version).

I used to swear by Rockports but the last two pair I got are horribly uncomfortable.

I'm in the same boat as I am looking for a new pair and I leave in three weeks. But as stated before I need something for wide feet and the choice is limited.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Merrell Mocs are incredibly reliable and great for airports too. Birkenstocks for warmer weather, or Chacos, though they take some breaking in. I want to try Allbirds very much, have heard so many good things about them. They have a removable insole which is great for me since I need all-day arch support. I’ve also had boots from Salomon that I really loved.

I’m forever on the hunt for street style shoes with go-hard, all-day performance.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @FrankII, Check out Keen . They make quite a few in EE, and some of their regulars run wide. Hubs and I both have wide feet and have worn Keen lace-ups for years.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 03-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rieker makes very, very comfortable shoes that look like normal shoes.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You might want to check out this other thread too

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...s-walking.html
    Read it, but thanks.

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like Asics GT-1000's. I have wide feet so I have trouble finding shoes that fit. They made a wide size (2E). If you want something even more rigid to try the GT-2000's (recommended by my podiatrist). Some are really loudly colored but you can find them in plain black as well.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have low arches and/or overpronate, try Brooks Addiction Walker. Available in 4 widths, in adult colors. $120 at Zappos.
    https://m.zappos.com/p/brooks-addict...414346/color/3

New Balance also has several men's walking shoes on Zappos and they usually have wide but no personal experience with their walking shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Rieker makes very, very comfortable shoes that look like normal shoes.
    darn it! another shoe shopping adventure prompted by these forums Big Grin
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i swear by soft star shoes. i have a pair of all birds and those are great too, but if I could only bring one pair it would be either my soft star ballerines or the soft star chukkas. Chukkas are better for cool climates in my opinion since the cover more of you ankle and foot. Both can be made in wide widths, they are zero drop barefoot shoes, so you will feel more of the ground in them, but I find them extremely comfortable with the thicker vibrant sole option. the leather is incredibly supple and requires no break in period. I feel like they look a bit more dressy for europe than all birds, which looks very casual and can’t be dressed up as well. Have fun on your trip!

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafoster View Post
    Check out Allbirds.

Merino wool...
    I'm really happy with mine. I am a person who really hates wearing socks and I have worn Allbirds for 60 days straight since getting them... without socks. They're like walking on marshmallows!

They don't do great in the rain, but then again they don't do terribly worse than other non-waterproof shoes.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    allbirds were comfy, but they made my plantar fasciitis flare up really badly. I ended up having to return them and find something less marshmallowy (seriously theyíre SO SQUISHY in the sole)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast