Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one hanging in my personal library:

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
    --Desiderius Erasmus

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Persistence guarantees that results are inevitable."
    - Paramahansa Yogananda
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it."
    - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Love the whole world as a mother loves her only child."

- Buddha
    -m

denver, colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Make visible what, without you, might never have been seen."

- Robert Bresson

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not quotes by famous people but a few, shall we say, philosophies that are potentially quotable:

“There are no accidents in life, merely choice and consequence. We just unfortunately don’t often understand the consequence derived from our choices.”

And along the same lines:

“There is absolutely nothing in life we ‘have’ to do, provided we’re willing to accept the consequence of our failure to do them.”

But the one I really live by, and use as my signature line on a few different forums is:

“There is no use crying over spilt milk, unless it’s on your keyboard.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything."
    - Theodore Roosevelt
    -m

Forum Member
    Lowcountry
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Women are like teabags; you never know how strong they are until they're put in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    "The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does anything."
    - Theodore Roosevelt
    I'd like to share a personal story along this vein. This was about 12 years ago -- I was working in a hands-on engineering role, making a change to a production database that was part of a customer facing solution. The change involved a series of SQL queries, one of which was an update statement. An important aspect of this update was a where clause. Think of it as -- we're going to update this attribute to this new value where this condition is true.

As soon as I ran that update query, I realized that I forgot the where statement. This was an Oracle database, and so long as you don't commit or apply, you have the ability to rollback or not apply what you did. So I thought great, I'll just rollback.

The problem was that I didn't understand how rollbacks and commits work. I thought that unless I explicitly commit that the changes are rolled back. And so I closed my session.

That was a mistake.

When you close the connection, your changes automatically commit. You have to explicitly run rollback in order to roll back to the last commit of the session -- to not apply all of the queries you just ran.

I remember sharing what I had just done, and then working with the database administrator to recover the database. I had a very understanding people leader. His philosophy (and that of any good leader) was that it's okay to make mistakes -- let's try to not repeat the same mistake; if you never make a mistake, you're probably not doing anything.

Not only was this a great learning experience, but it also created a dialog within the team that it's okay to make mistakes. It also lead to one of our interview questions being -- tell me about a time when you broke something. We all had a good chuckle as we asked this question.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The truth has a million faces, but there is only one truth."
    - Hermann Hesse
    -m

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We will not know our own injustice if we cannot imagine justice...We will not be free if we do not imagine freedom. -- Ursula K. LeGuin

"I am going to write fire until it comes out of my ears, my eyes, my nose holes; everywhere. Until it's every breath I breathe." -- Audré Lorde.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I remember sharing what I had just done, and then working with the database administrator to recover the database. I had a very understanding people leader. His philosophy (and that of any good leader) was that it's okay to make mistakes -- let's try to not repeat the same mistake; if you never make a mistake, you're probably not doing anything.

Not only was this a great learning experience, but it also created a dialog within the team that it's okay to make mistakes. It also lead to one of our interview questions being -- tell me about a time when you broke something. We all had a good chuckle as we asked this question.
    That's a great story, and I like how your leader handled it! I'm reminded of the time when I was new to systems administration and accidentally deleted my boss's account in one of our systems--I thought I was deleting a test account, but the interface didn't behave quite like I thought it would. My boss didn't act upset, just told me to fix it and gave me some hints that helped me to figure out how. In the process I learned a lot more about that system (and got better at SQL, too, since fixing the issue required digging into the SQL database that stored the account information).

Lest I get too far from the topic of the thread, here's an inspirational quote:

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will." -- Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign (which is great book, but it has much more effect if you start reading farther back in the series)

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Two men looked out through prison bars; one saw mud, the other stars."
    - Frederick Langbridge
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A piece from an Apple marketing campaign in the 1990's, by Steve Jobs...

Attached Images Attached Images Inspirational quotes-heres_to_the_crazy_ones-jpg 
    Last edited by maverick; 06-03-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A zen quote I needed today:

"Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone." - Alan Watts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast