1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

noise cancelling headphones?

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for relatively cheap-ish noise cancelling headphones? Maybe around $50 or $60? I don't travel by plane very often, so was hoping not to spend a lot of money. (Of course I want to save all my money for more TB bags!)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At that price point, my suggestion would be to consider noise-isolating in-ear earphones instead.

They can be really effective at blocking out engine noise and cabin noise, provided you get a good seal in your ear canal.

Added bonuses: far more portable than circumaural or supra-aural noise-cancelling headphones and no need to charge them.

Etymotic Research is known for neutral sound and great noise isolation with their triple-flange tips.

I always take the Etymotic HF5 ($100) or ER4 ($300) with me when I fly and have never wanted more sound isolation that they provide.

I don't have any firsthand experience with Etymotic's entry level earphones, but they do have a couple of models in your $60 ballpark (MK5 and MC5).

Good luck!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Wirecutter tested both NC headphones and earbuds. While the headphones are all above your price range, one earbud model by Samsung seems to be quite good and costs around 50 $.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second the isolating earbuds, I never had a pair of noise-cancelling headphones that worked better than isolation earbuds on the plane. Shure has been my go to for years, I find their eargel more comfortable than the triple-flange on the Etymotic. Their bottom range starts around $50 as well. The $100 pair I have has a replaceable cable, so I imagine they'll be with me for quite a while longer.

I'm secretly hoping Shure will come out with a lightning cable with NC hardware built in that is powered from the phone. The biggest downside of NC is having yet more stuff to charge, or forget to.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't travel on planes (or noisy subways) a lot, you might want to just use earplugs, if they don't bother your ears...
    If you want to listen to a movie/music, that won't work obviously, but if you're intending to relax/sleep/read, it's a simple cheap solution. I always travel with disposable earplugs. They're also great to have on hand for shared hostel rooms, loud bars/restaurants, etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have these and like them. They do a good job of killing the background engine noise and hum you hear on airplanes and for only $46.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Ca...ing+headphones

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, noise-isolating it is. I am leaning toward the Shure over the Etymotic because of the plug material. I haven't found the triple flange to be very comfortable in the past, but maybe the material is a little different now. I decided to pay a little more ($99) to get a brand name. That puts both the Etymotic and the Shure on par. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tips on the Etymotic can be changed. They generally come with foam tips in addition to the rubber flange tips. Also, you can purchase Comply-branded foam tips, which are more comfortable than the standard Etymotic tips. In terms of sound signature, my Etymotics have a much crisper high end than my Shures, but my Shures have more bass.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I decided when actually buying that I would give the TaoTronics a try for less money. Hopefully they work out.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Tao Tronics don’t work out, Audio Technica has a pair of active noise cancelling ear buds for just under $80 on Amazon. The work on a single AAA battery and are eliminating about 80-90% of what Bose brand does. They also work as regular ear buds if the battery dies. I have used them on a number of airplane trips and find them generally better than noise isolating ones.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more plug for noise isolating. I can attest the Shure in-ears do a wonderful job of reducing the sound from crying babies on a plane (even just one row away). I use the foam “olive” ear tips for a tight seal.

I’ve read that some noise canceling headphones don’t do well cancelling babies, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional recommendations! I just got to use the TaoTronics on a trip, and they worked pretty well. Weirdly, I could hear people on the plane speaking more easily with noise cancelling on. But I couldn't hear the background noise from the plane, which is what I wanted it for.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad they worked for you.

I've noticed that effect also. One minor side effect though is when I'm having calls with someone, I don't always notice the background noise they are hearing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
    I’ve read that some noise canceling headphones don’t do well cancelling babies, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Correct, the circuitry really works only for constant lower-pitch noise like road or jet noise. Irregular sounds like speech or crying babies can't be filtered out. Isolating earbuds with NC circuitry are the best of both worlds.