1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Thread: Travel art kits

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel art kits

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to put in a travel art kit? I have some pencils and markers and a 5x8 moleskine journal, but I hate the pencils and markers.

Once I figure out what goes in the art kit, I can figure out what size TB bag to get! I have a small cafe bag, but it is too small to hold both a journal and some art supplies, plus the things I carry every day.

Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, I will mostly be drawing for a daily journal art class I'm taking. I'm a beginner.

-Jool

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel art kits

I am a complete amateur who hasnít even been able to keep a daily art journal. But these are my suggestions ó

Pentel Aquash Water Brush. You fill water in the brush handle so you always have water. It unscrews so it fits into a small bag and does not leak.

Five or six water color paints. I have a mix of a few squares that I popped out of travel paint sets and a few water color crayons that I rub with a wet brush to get color. Youíll know what colors and paints you like. I keep them and a paper towel in a small plastic rectangular box. I love the paints from a Sakura Koi Watercolors Pocket Field Sketch Box Set.

Fabriano Studio Watercolor Postcard Pad. I play on postcards and then mail them to friends. It is a low stress way to make something.

Black paint pens. I love these pens. I carry a few widths. I sketch with pencils. Then finish drawings with the paint pens. Iím sad that my son has moved from dinosaurs ó fun to sketch, open to any crazy colors because we donít know ó to Pokťmon.

A 2H and a 4B pencil plus a sharpener and eraser.

I buy from the Blick website and stores.
    Last edited by Fulton; 06-30-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Viviva Colorsheets - I impulse purchased them on Indiegogo last year and while I'm incredibly untalented, they are a lot of fun.

vivivacolors.com
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kieri: RE: Viviva Colorsheets I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks!

What kind of water brushes do you like? I didn't know THEY existed, either.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Kieri: RE: Viviva Colorsheets I never knew such a thing existed. Thanks!

What kind of water brushes do you like? I didn't know THEY existed, either.
    Same! What a cool kit. Makes me want to take up painting.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no great artist, but my art set is a Winsor & Newton pocket set of paints and mini-brush, a Sakura Pigma Micron 01 black marker, Kuru Toga mechanical pencil, a Go Tubbs medium tub for water, and a rag.

That all goes easily into a small Snake Charmer with a collection of Pilot G2 pens and a couple of Sharpies on the other side - those are more for writing than art.

Most of my art is done in my Hobonichi Planner on the days when Iíve missed journaling, but I sometimes use a Moleskine Cahier. I was recently given a proper watercolour-paper book, but Iíve yet to try it out.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel art kits

I have a travel watercolor kit, but you can make them out of anything (like altoid tins and gum trays ( https://pin.it/dp7c56baqh5hbx ) ) also those watercolor brushes with a reservoir are incredible.
    Generally I do all my sketching in a notebook or watercolor papers then go back and work on color.
    I saw this on Pinterest though and thought it looked great too:
    https://pin.it/d5zffkspvsxmqu

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel art kits

The Pentel brushes are the only ones that I have used. I love them. I bought them from Blick and then got an extra for a dedicated travel kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fulton; 07-04-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viviva are nice along with Peerless watercolors (same idea and lots of you tube videos of turning them into a pallete.
    Koi travel kits also work quite well. Not as compact as the super compact pictures above.

https://www.amazon.com/Sakura-XNCW-2...watercolor+set

You'd be surprised at how much you can do with neocolor II's again let youtube be your friend. Even the small tin of colors

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YIMXMG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Pentel makes more than one brush. The detail one is great but there are uses for the broader ones. I'd probably have more than one in a kit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jool View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for what to put in a travel art kit? I have some pencils and markers and a 5x8 moleskine journal, but I hate the pencils and markers.

Once I figure out what goes in the art kit, I can figure out what size TB bag to get! I have a small cafe bag, but it is too small to hold both a journal and some art supplies, plus the things I carry every day.

Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, I will mostly be drawing for a daily journal art class I'm taking. I'm a beginner.

-Jool
    What is the size of the art journal? It will help with the choice of bag.

What brand are your markers and pencils?

Forum members can share their experiences with various brands.

Please share more about your art class, it sounds really interesting.

I find that watercolor pencils have been lifesavers.

Some years ago, when the FJN was introduced and re-introduced, forum members, TB Crew members as well as Dan, a watercolor artist, based in San Francisco, who does the watercolors of TB items and is soooo talented, showed their mini pans watercolor palettes.

I am weary of traveling/mobile palettes as I had numerous experiences with near spills, case closure malfunctions at the worst moment...

It is most probably a forum member who introduced us/me to watercolor pencils.
    They are portable, available in sets or by the pencil (in art stores) The best brand is Faber Castell, they are creamy and wonderful to apply like pencils on dry watercolor paper, then give out a rich ssmooth, as transparent or as mat a finish as you desire.

I use the watercolor brushes with reservoir, they have thin points. I have a couple of wide brushes if I decide to do wet on wet medium. In this technique the paper is pre-saturaded with water with a wide brush and wet brushed pick up color from the pencil and it is applied to the paper.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-05-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    Check out Viviva Colorsheets - I impulse purchased them on Indiegogo last year and while I'm incredibly untalented, they are a lot of fun.

vivivacolors.com
    Thanks for this suggestion....I just ordered one to go in an "art box" I'm putting together for my sister's birthday. Great addition!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Here is the art journaling class I'm taking, since someone asked. It has so far been very inspiring and keeps me thinking.
    https://continuingstudies.stanford.e...0174_ART-119-W